Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[Now on /idgames!] 3x3 - 3 flats, 3 textures, 3 monsters! community speedmapping(ish) project

3 minutes ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

Are we allowed to use ghost monsters? 

Sure.

Well, I started working on a map and it's over half done, but unless I'm allowed to abuse the locked door textures I don't think it's gonna be a part of this project! I don't think I can compromise on that. I'm not gonna use any special exit textures at all though, there's no point in using them and they'd outright clash with the theme.

3 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

Well, I started working on a map and it's over half done, but unless I'm allowed to abuse the locked door textures I don't think it's gonna be a part of this project! I don't think I can compromise on that. I'm not gonna use any special exit textures at all though, there's no point in using them and they'd outright clash with the theme.

While the door lock textures are technically excluded from the texture limit, I am firm about not abusing them to circumvent it. And I'm sorry to say this, but I'm not making any exceptions on that. I am now curious as to how your map was going to turn out, though - if you end up finishing it and don't mind sharing, I'd be happy to play it regardless. c:

Did some updating to my own map. Enemy count has been increased by 25%, the light level in the outdoor area went up a notch, and I rearranged the Barons on higher difficulties so that they don't "spawn" in only two spots. Also, the one secret is now hidden in the automap.

they_come_at_knight.zip

Hah, no one expected Spanish inquisition "Base" map

Textures: CRATE3 GRAY7 and SW1GRAY (and of course DOORYEL2, DOORRED2 and EXITSIGN)

Midi: Batlle with dracula from castlevania 3

Sky: Custom from google search (lol)

Build time: total time is, i think 5-6 hours

Difficult setting: Yes

link here https://www.mediafire.com/file/ikzz6ee0fjg8r7j/Boxes_chaos.rar/file

(tested in prboom and gzdoom)

correct link here

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ikzz6ee0fjg8r7j/Boxes_chaos.rar/file

Edited by waciej

@waciej Well, someone was bound to make a crate-filled base map. :P Decent map overall, with simple but pleasing visuals, a nicely compact layout and fun gameplay. You're going to need to pick a different custom sky or not use one at all, though, as the way you've set it up makes it not work in Boom. And it can't replace any of the stock sky patches. I'd like to point you to Mek's Box o' Skies for a good collection of ready-to-go Doom sky textures, and I'd also like for you to learn how the MBF sky transfer works. Also, the sectors that constitute the yellow "door" should be joined so they rise together instead of having to be opened individually, just to make it look nicer if nothing else.

@elio.exe Great improvements on Batalioni ne Balte, although HNTR doesn't need that much plasma ammo with the Cyberdemons being replaced by Mancubi. On my HNTR run through Plain and Simple, I ignored the Invul in the Arachnotron-surrounded room just for fun, and I ended up leaving the room with less health than I hoped I would. But it did confirm my suspicion that it's definitely doable without it. In light of that, it was an interesting choice to replace the Invul with a Megasphere and Soulsphere on HMP and UV respectively - the room definitely poses more of a challenge that way. Keep up the good work! :)

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

@waciej Well, someone was bound to make a crate-filled base map. :P Decent map overall, with simple but pleasing visuals, a nicely compact layout and fun gameplay. You're going to need to pick a different custom sky or not use one at all, though, as the way you've set it up makes it not work in Boom. And it can't replace any of the stock sky patches. I'd like to point you to Mek's Box o' Skies for a good collection of ready-to-go Doom sky textures, and I'd also like for you to learn how the MBF sky transfer works. Also, the sectors that constitute the yellow "door" should be joined so they rise together instead of having to be opened individually, just to make it look nicer if nothing else. 

Thanks for the feedback, anyway i planned this to be my second map - original i tried to make brick castle map but i realised i have not much time for everything to clean

so i make the second map thats i think its smaller and got low deco, and thanks for the Sky's thread i try to fix my issue in 10 - 20 mins

(yeah im not creative with that box map lol)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ikzz6ee0fjg8r7j/Boxes_chaos.rar/file

Edited by waciej : here is it

I have updated my submission, it changes the final encounter in the way MFG suggested, as well as adding ammo so that there's less need to be a scrooge with shells and bullets.

I have also added difficulty settings, which change the map like so:

HMP:

• Moves certain monsters to other locations, often in cases where their absence in their previous location makes things simpler.
  • Some monsters(mostly pain elementals in the final encounter) are removed.
  • Some extra stimpacks are also present.

HNTR:

• Mostly like HMP, but...
  • All spectres are now pinkies.

Dwindling_Growth-V2.zip

@Alper002 Definite improvement with the final battle. Upon playing through the map again, I noticed that there's a secret plasma gun and realized that my prior troubles in that arena were most likely because I missed it on my first test run. Having it does make the final battle considerably easier. There is one more little thing I neglected to mention before: linedef 217 might benefit from a different texture, if only for the sake of making progression that much less obtuse. On my initial playthrough, I didn't even realize it was a door, given that it uses the same texture as the surrounding walls, until I tried using it for the heck of it. But then again, the surrounding wall motifs on either side of it do hint at it not being a mere wall, and it does show as a 2-sided line on the automap.

12 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Upon playing through the map again, I noticed that there's a secret plasma gun and realized that my prior troubles in that arena were most likely because I missed it on my first test run. Having it does make the final battle considerably easier.

When I tested the map, I used no secrets. The final encounter was definitely doable without plasma, but the way I played was much more daring, with a good amount of punching involved, along with needlessly risky rocket usage. Safe to say, the final battle expected less ammo usage than it should've :P

There is one more little thing I neglected to mention before: linedef 217 might benefit from a different texture, if only for the sake of making progression that much less obtuse. On my initial playthrough, I didn't even realize it was a door, given that it uses the same texture as the surrounding walls, until I tried using it for the heck of it. But then again, the surrounding wall motifs on either side of it do hint at it not being a mere wall, and it does show as a 2-sided line on the automap.

In my mind it's there to make it really clear that any occurence of the wall motif can be press-use activated. Even if that part may not come across so clearly there's a good enough amount of clues for that door in my opinion, and the amount of area you can check is small enough that it shouldn't be too frustrating regardless.

Just now, Alper002 said:

In my mind it's there to make it really clear that any occurence of the wall motif can be press-use activated. Even if that part may not come across so clearly there's a good enough amount of clues for that door in my opinion, and the amount of area you can check is small enough that it shouldn't be too frustrating regardless.

Yeah, you make a good point there, and I'm not forcing you to change that texture by any means. The thought just happened to cross my mind just then.

3 minutes ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Here's RC1 for my map. Added skill levels.

I take it that link isn't supposed to take me to the 2nd beta version of the map?

@tealdude Uhh, you can use more than 3 monsters in total. :P Sorry to be so blunt, but your map isn't very good. There is some nice geometry going on, I'll give it that, but there's nothing interesting in it beyond that. And the fact that it can be beaten in ~10 seconds doesn't help it. Yes, the maps are supposed to be speedmaps (at least in spirit if not technically), but I do expect some degree of challenge and, more importantly, effort. There is potential for a genuinely fun map here, though - I truly hope you expand upon it and make something cool out of it. And for God's sake, give the player some guns. But in its current state, as much as I hate to say this, I'll unfortunately have to reject your map.

Also, EXITDOOR isn't excluded from the texture limitation. That would need to be changed if you were to expand upon and resubmit the map.

I updated my map to add those two missing textures.  I also changed a few linedef actions from predefined to generalized ones, just to speed up how fast conveyors and monster teleporters start up behind the scenes--some of the triggers were too slow before.  Health is slightly reduced based on feedback from a tester.  HNTR is slightly adjusted.

permeable.zip

29 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

@tealdude Uhh, you can use more than 3 monsters in total. :P Sorry to be so blunt, but your map isn't very good. There is some nice geometry going on, I'll give it that, but there's nothing interesting in it beyond that. And the fact that it can be beaten in ~10 seconds doesn't help it. Yes, the maps are supposed to be speedmaps (at least in spirit if not technically), but I do expect some degree of challenge and, more importantly, effort. There is potential for a genuinely fun map here, though - I truly hope you expand upon it and make something cool out of it. And for God's sake, give the player some guns. But in its current state, as much as I hate to say this, I'll unfortunately have to reject your map.

Also, EXITDOOR isn't excluded from the texture limitation. That would need to be changed if you were to expand upon and resubmit the map.

Fair. 

Hello,

here's a map I made: iron_pillars.zip

Some notes:

- Difficulty levels are implemented - I would appreciate feedback if any of them are too easy/tough.

- I used STEP1 and STEP2 flats only to realize those do not count as one. :) I then replaced all STEP1s to use STEP2 (I hope I didn't miss any).

- I play-tested in GZDoom during editing and tried it out with PRBoom+ at the end only to realize PRBoom renders light levels much darker (or is it just my GZdoom set to very bright?, I don't know) - anyway I have no intention to change that.

Let me know what you think (and if I accidentally missed any of the requirements).

Edit: It seems I did something stupid with secrets. There's only one, not 13 of em. Will be fixed. :)

Updated: iron_pillars_v2.zip

Change notes:

- removed imp in exit room on medium diff

- added a missing sergeant in 1st room on easy diff

- fixed secrets (lol)

Edited by revlis : updated wad

@revlis A nice, compact map with straightforward progression and gameplay. I liked the windows with the SUPPORT3 pillars beyond them - they were an oddly beautiful detail. Among the otherwise not-too-challenging (though still quite fun) combat, the Archvile right before the exit on HMP and UV was quite the delightful surprise. Didn't catch any stray STEP1 flats, but I did catch a stray Imp in the exit room on HMP (thing 81). You need only fix that and you'll be good.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pl1ddneiu74kcrl/coastalbeta.wad/file

This is a prototype for a pretty large map I'm working on. Uses some rock and water (technically water and compblu) textures, and a track I stole from Sunlust. Will probably have just zombies, cacos and possibly chaingunners, maybe. Not much I can say about it except I haven't tagged the secrets, and they're well hidden.

43 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

I liked the windows with the SUPPORT3 pillars beyond them - they were an oddly beautiful detail.

Thanks. I made windows and realized that, well, with three textures only, outside is going to look like the same as inside! Then I came up with this kind of unusual idea to reuse SUPPORT3 textures.

I could just remove the windows but IMO the sense of space (or however you'd call it) is completely different with closed up rooms vs rooms with windows.

See my original post for updated map with fixes.

3 wall textures, 3 flat textures, 3 demon types. I'm in.

I started my map today and hopefully it will be done by the 29th.

@MFG38 I found a few issues with my submission (left over cells, some monsters unintentionally set to ambush, some missing door tracks etc.).

Here's the fixed version: rocketfest.wad

Here be the second of my own maps.

Title: Hecks'd

Author: MFG38

Flats: FLOOR6_1, FLOOR6_2, LAVA1 (+ F_SKY1)

Textures: ASHWALL2, ROCKRED1, SUPPORT3 (+ EXITSIGN)

Sky: SKY3

Music: "Illusory Brainwire" by Yours Truly

Difficulty settings: Yes

Description: A single-room, Hell-themed slaughtermap with a layout made entirely out of hexagons. It's time to grab those invulnerabilities and megaspheres and spam that BFG! Enemy composition on UV consists of Revenants, Pinkies and Cyberdemons. The Revenants are replaced by Imps on HNTR, and HNTR and HMP both reduce the Cyberdemon population to 1. Additionally, HNTR has less Pinkies than HMP and UV.

hecksd.zip

Edited by MFG38