Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Oh well, what the Hell

Hm, originally, I didn't want to put this drawing up as I was largely dissatisfied with it (namely the torso of the fighter on the right and once I had scanned it, I noticed areas that I had forgotten to shade), but I finally decided to put it up anyway.

It's a piece of HeXen fan art and depicts the three character classes from HeXen wielding their most destructive weapons. Oh yeah, and the big bad boy in the background is naturally the Big Bad Boy Korax.

Enjoy or dislike!

This is a real piece of art. Cheer up man, this is definitly an amazing drawing. Not everybody have this talent and you should be very grateful for this gift. I mean, not everybody can draw that good and have the patience and dedication to create something like this. Beside, if you didn't said it, I'm sure most of the people would not even see it. Great stuff.

The left hand of the Angels, The Right hand of the Demons

...And I'm right handed. :P

Darkstalker said:

Cheer up man, this is definitly an amazing drawing. Not everybody have this talent and you should be very grateful for this gift. I mean, not everybody can draw that good and have the patience and dedication to create something like this.

To become better, one must always view one's art with a critical attitude.

If you don't search it for errors, you won't develop your skills.

And I can't help being envious at anyone who does better-looking art than me :-P

...which is good, 'cause it encourages me to work harder on my drawings.

Btw, I point out my own errors to show others what to avoid :-)

Great detail, my only criticism is that the foreground is a bit hard to differentiate from the background. Otherwise, excellent job.

Heh, man, I want to see that colourized. I love how the warrior is weilding Quietes or whatever in one hand and Timon's "Axe" in the other. Those souls flying from the Wraithverge rock too! I especially love Korax in the backround too. Great great great work, dsm.

BBG said:

Heh, man, I want to see that colourized.

Get Fredrik or Agnes to add colour in PSP or something - I don't know shit about adding colours to a pencil drawing, I've already tried employing Fredrik's technigue once and the result was a disastrous loss of detail (of course, I wasn't the one who carried out the operation myself - I only did the drawing and the coloured background version that were to be "melded" together).

my only criticism is that the foreground is a bit hard to differentiate from the background. Otherwise, excellent job.

Yeah I know, that was one of the main reasons why I was dissatisfied with the drawing. I intended to make Korax' face a little more faded back in the background, but he ended up being too clearly visible.

A part of me wishes that I had dropped the Korax face in the background, but then again, it IS one of the cooler things about the drawing.

dsm said:

Get Fredrik or Agnes to add colour in PSP or something - I don't know shit about adding colours to a pencil drawing, I've already tried employing Fredrik's technigue once and the result was a disastrous loss of detail (of course, I wasn't the one who carried out the operation myself - I only did the drawing and the coloured background version that were to be "melded" together).

Mind if I give it a try? It always helps to practice. :)

How in god's name can you call that crap? It's wicked.

But if you want me to get critical, the background at the bottem below the flaming skulls could be more smoother and the heros need to stand out more (so you could add a bit more tone to them).

ravage said:

Mind if I give it a try? It always helps to practice. :)

Sure, go ahead. It could be fun to start a contest about who could do the best colour version of this drawing - unfortunately, I don't have a prize for the winner, so I guess that's outta the question.

How in god's name can you call that crap? It's wicked.

Never said it was crap, I merely said that I was dissatisfied with it. I know that I can do far better than this - all my other drawings that I've put up on the net are better than this one imo as far as correct details go.
True, there's more activity in this one, which I get the impression is what appeals to most people in this forum.

Yea very true it does seem to be whats appealing to most people. The ammount of activity going on, whe I see a drawing if theres a bunch of different characters fighting or something just that makes me love it even if the details arnt right on.

dsm said:

Never said it was crap, I merely said that I was dissatisfied with it. I know that I can do far better than this - all my other drawings that I've put up on the net are better than this one imo as far as correct details go.
True, there's more activity in this one, which I get the impression is what appeals to most people in this forum.

Apologies for the use of exaggerative language.

it's just that i wouldn't look at that and say it's unsatisfactory.

BlueSonnet said:

Apologies for the use of exaggerative language.

it's just that i wouldn't look at that and say it's unsatisfactory.

It's a matter of taste I suppose. I tend to look more at how accomplished the character design and detail is, and I find the design of the hero characters a *little* too plain (except for the helmet of the Fighter - it rocks!).

But looking at the drawing now, I must say that I am very pleased with the way Korax himself ended up (when you ignore the fact that I originally wanted him to be more faded and blending in with the background a little).

dsm said:

Sure, go ahead. It could be fun to start a contest about who could do the best colour version of this drawing - unfortunately, I don't have a prize for the winner, so I guess that's outta the question.

The fact that I can do it without screwing up is prize enough for me. Besides I need practice for MY artwork. :)

The composition of the image is very good! I agree with the others that you should have marked the characters' contours a bit more ;)
As for adding color to a pencil drawing, I know that you have to adjust the levels from photoshop, and then work with the brush set in darken mode. :)

As for adding details, use the airbrush on size 1 and then combine it with the smudge tool. Also you can use the burn and dodge tool to add shadings and lightnings easily.

Oh, and BTW, this is kinda scary, but your knight reminds me of mine :P, I was supposed to do a pic for a contest, using the techniques I told you above, but the deadline came today by 1 pm....too bad for me :(

If you like I could send you the sample to see how to paint yours ;)

Well so far, I've only got the warrior done. I'm using PSP5 with a multiply layer (color) over the pic. I'm thinking of changing it to a burn layer to make things stand out better. It's hard trying to figure out where the details are going. :P

This is a testiment to the truth: pencil and paper are the best media overall.