Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Why Was Doom 4 Called Doom?

I will never call this game anything other than Doom 4. It is Doom 4. It will always be Doom 4 whether or not they choose to call it as such.

Why do you guys need 5 pages to discuss the obvious.

You call it Doom for the millions of idiotic braindead CoD mainlining console peasants. The actual Doom fans will just call it, nuDoom, Doom2016 or Doom 4.

It really doesn't matter, who the fuck cares about names. Back when I was a kid, Doom 1, Doom 2, TNT, Plutonia, it was all DOOOOM. We didn't give a shit.

5 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

Why do you guys need 5 pages to discuss the obvious.

You call it Doom for the millions of idiotic braindead CoD mainlining console peasants. The actual Doom fans will just call it, nuDoom, Doom2016 or Doom 4.

It really doesn't matter, who the fuck cares about names. Back when I was a kid, Doom 1, Doom 2, TNT, Plutonia, it was all DOOOOM. We didn't give a shit.

Quit it with the elitistism, and CoD is a PC series.

All of this is so ridiculously silly to argue about I had to resurrect a dead thread to make that point. 

I’m just happy DOOM is still going strong and I love all the nods and references to the classic stuff throughout. Shows me that the developers are well aware of the legacy they’ve inherited and the games drip with honest effort to add to that, not undo it.

The next one could be called DEWHM2 da wrath of kahnmaker 2.0 and I’d still play it if it was a solid game.

On 12/29/2020 at 1:42 PM, CivilianM91 said:

The next one could be called DEWHM2 da wrath of kahnmaker 2.0 and I’d still play it if it was a solid game.

It's not DOOM if it features angelic alien stuff.

2 hours ago, IrOn7HuB said:

Fighting the heavens and hell at the same time is pretty dope to me, I dunno. Baddassery to the fullest.

Edited by CivilianM91

On 12/31/2020 at 1:44 AM, IrOn7HuB said:

Pff, I suppose Eviternity is for posers then.

its a marketing thing

not only does it imply a reboot but they also get into the marketing after all the name DOOM is already all over the internet

i hate this practice with a passion only makes searching for the original game harder at least for a few years before people start calling it doom 2016, sonic 2006 etc or some other bullshit like that (dmc: devil may cry)

On 6/19/2019 at 4:40 AM, Foebane72 said:

So the makers of Doom 2016 want us to forget the classic Doom and embrace their new bastardised crap, eh? Well, f them. I've removed the game from my library for the fourth time today (yes, I bought it four times) and I will never bring it back, and I'm forgetting Doom Eternal as well, it looks like difficult crap. I got the game in the first place as it looked gorgeous, but the system requirements are too high and I can't even afford a graphics card at the moment. I also didn't like the endless Robotron 2084-like combat, the battle areas that are more like arenas, and I dreaded the boss battles.

That is definitely not the case, you can calm down mate. 

On 6/24/2019 at 9:47 PM, Taurus Daggerknight said:

...exactly what about Doom 2016 makes anyone think that new iD wants anyone to forget about the original? The whole thing is so chalk full of homage's to the classics, from secret levels to the collectibles and in-game mini-games. Doom 2016 is nothing if not a big massive party in honor of Ultimate Doom. To suggest that they were actively trying to bury the original is either incredibly ignorant, or a needlessly vicious insinuation based on nothing. 

I generally favor the notion that it has more to do with appealing to a new generation. Not that I think the new generation is oblivious to what Doom is, which suggests this was entirely a marketing decision. In fact, if anyone can be called out on weird choices at new iD, let's look at their marketing department. The one that decided the big focus of all things for Doom 2016 should be its multiplayer and multiplayer DLC's. 

This ^

I think the main reason they dropped the 4 is because when they announced Doom 4, it was a sequel to Doom 3. They dropped the 4 because it was not a sequel anymore. They went the right way with Eternal by not giving it a number, in my opinion. 

19 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

That is definitely not the case, you can calm down mate. 

This ^

I think the main reason they dropped the 4 is because when they announced Doom 4, it was a sequel to Doom 3. They dropped the 4 because it was not a sequel anymore. They went the right way with Eternal by not giving it a number, in my opinion. 

No one really knows where Doom 4 would have fallen in the Doom timeline as id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead stated in an interview with GameSpot in 2009 that "It's not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either"

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/hollenshead-doom-4-not-a-sequel

Doom 4 could be an indirect sequel to all Doom games, and having its own continuity.