Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[Now on /idgames!] 3x3 - 3 flats, 3 textures, 3 monsters! community speedmapping(ish) project

Title: The Tale of Sir Doomalot

Author: Muumi

Flats: FLOOR7_1, FLOOR6_2, GRASS1

Textures: ROCK3, WOOD9, BROWNHUG

Sky: default

Music: Monty Python and holy grail theme from here

Difficulty settings: no

Description: It was supposed to be just chainsaw map but it might have turned into a reference. Build time around 7 hours in one sitting that got long

DOWNLOAD

6 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Here be the second of my own maps.

Title: Hecks'd

Author: MFG38

Flats: FLOOR6_1, FLOOR6_2, LAVA1 (+ F_SKY1)

Textures: ASHWALL2, ROCKRED1, SUPPORT3 (+ EXITSIGN)

Sky: SKY3

Music: "Illusory Brainwire" by Yours Truly

Difficulty settings: Yes

Description: A single-room, Hell-themed slaughtermap with a layout made entirely out of hexagons. It's time to grab those invulnerabilities and megaspheres and spam that BFG! Enemy composition on UV consists of Revenants, Pinkies and Cyberdemons. The Revenants are replaced by Imps on HNTR, and HNTR and HMP both reduce the Cyberdemon population to 1. Additionally, HNTR has less Pinkies than HMP and UV.

hecksd.zip

So, I played this one through, had a good time with it, though do I have a single criticism: the map is too easy on UV, even if you avoid using a single invul and even if you decide to go for 100% kills. Sure, I died a bunch of times in the first twenty-odd seconds of play to bad decision making or rng, but once a little space is cleared it is entirely too easy to just circle-strafe everything into oblivion. Personally, I think the map would be more fun if retooled around the rocket launcher, and perhaps replacing the cybers with cacos or something. The RL just affords a wider range of dynamics than the BFG.

That said, if your intention was to create more of a joy-ride BFG-fest experience than a combat-puzzle, then the above criticism is moot, and Hecks'd does its job very well. It flows nicely, has a good midi and a simple, easily-readable aesthetic (I like hexagons).

@muumi Okay, now that was a cool map. The beginning already blew me away with the introduction of the "door-kicking" mechanic, and the rest of the map steadily built upon itself. And the tiny little details were incredibly cute (honorable mention to the bow and arrow on the floor in one of the rooms). Only minor criticism is that I'm not sure about the teleporting lines near the beginning of the map - they just seem way too random and mess with the otherwise good flow.

10 minutes ago, Omniarch said:

So, I played this one through, had a good time with it, though do I have a single criticism: the map is too easy on UV, even if you avoid using a single invul and even if you decide to go for 100% kills. Sure, I died a bunch of times in the first twenty-odd seconds of play to bad decision making or rng, but once a little space is cleared it is entirely too easy to just circle-strafe everything into oblivion. Personally, I think the map would be more fun if retooled around the rocket launcher, and perhaps replacing the cybers with cacos or something. The RL just affords a wider range of dynamics than the BFG.

That said, if your intention was to create more of a joy-ride BFG-fest experience than a combat-puzzle, then the above criticism is moot, and Hecks'd does its job very well. It flows nicely, has a good midi and a simple, easily-readable aesthetic (I like hexagons).

Yeah, I didn't intend for that map to be a super difficult slaughterfest. I just wanted to make something relatively simple but satisfying, so I shoved a bunch of Invuls around the map and slapped a BFG in front of the player. I am contemplating replacing the Megaspheres along the middle with something else, possibly Soulspheres - gonna have to try out different items and see what works best. And thanks for the compliment on the MIDI! c:

Update to Hecks'd. Replaced the megaspheres in the middle area with soulspheres and armors (blue on HNTR/HMP, green on UV). HMP also has a couple dozen less Pinkies.

hecksd.zip

Also, we're on to the final 36 hours! 35 hours and 43 minutes, to be precise.

Title: Deadly Tech

Author: Weird Sandwich

Flats: FLOOR5_1, FLAT5, CEIL5_1 (+ F_SKY1)

Textures: BRONZE4, CEMENT4, PIPEWAL1 (+ DOORBLU(2), DOORRED(2), DOORYEL(2), EXITSIGN)

Sky: SKY1

Music: Getting Too Tense (Doom II)

Difficulty settings: Yes

Description: Fight through an abandoned tech base, intended to be challenging. Maybe stretching the "Speedmapish" definition at ~12 hours build time over 2 days. Up to you if you want to include or not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3j65pff46cili8n/deadly_tech.wad?dl=0

@Weird Sandwich Not one of my favorite maps gameplay-wise, but I'm not going to reject it based on that factor alone. For one, there's a lot of potential for missing out on the Chaingun and RL pickups due to the layout, but on the other hand, there is incentive for exploring the map in its entirety so the player does not miss them. It's also fairly easy to get all of the Archviles in the maze portion ganged up on you at once, which makes dealing with them efficiently pretty hard. Those problems are nigh-impossible to rectify without redesigning more or less the entire map, though, and with the deadline being as close as it is, I understand if you don't want to mess with it.

I should also mention, @muumi, your map is tentatively going to be in the MAP15 slot, so if you want to add a secret exit to MAP31 (AtticTelephone's map) into it, you'll have the time to do so.

Title: Bloody Circle

Author: Alper002

Flats: BLOOD1, MFLR8_3, CEIL5_2 (+ F_SKY1)

Textures: SP_ROCK1, EXITDOOR, SW1GARG (+ DOORBLU2 and EXITSIGN)

Sky: SKY3 from Doom 2

Music: "Keepsake Fever" by Alfonzo (from the Revolution! Midi pack)

Difficulty settings: No (I'll add them later, wouldn't mind some suggestions for lower difficulties though)

Description: One and a half laps through a hellish area, leading you through something of a mix between something natural and something constructed. Combat can be harsh and the room for error is tight, so be careful! Since I used one of the ambiguous switch textures I'll also just say in advance that there's always a clue as to which gargoyles are and aren't usable.

Bloody_Circle.zip

@Alper002 Fun map with some tense combat scenarios. The usable switches were nicely and clearly telegraphed. My only real criticism is that with the texture choices, a good portion of the room layouts could do with being a lot less blocky, but at the same time, I sort of love the oddly "clean" look of it in those same places. As far as difficulty settings are concerned, reducing the enemy population is the obvious choice, but I'm also thinking the Chaingunners could be replaced with Zombiemen. Of course, that would also entail adding a Chaingun pickup near the beginning to make up for the lack of being able to obtain it off a dead Chaingunner.

Title: Blazing Emerald (taking suggestions)
Author: akolai
Enemies: Hell Knights, Archviles, Cyberdemons
Flats: NUKAGE1, RROCK19, TLITE6_5 (+F_SKY1)
Textures: ROCK1, SFALL1 (+EXITSIGN) [+STARSKY1 from Mek's Box o' Skies v3]
Sky: See above
Music: D_MESSG2 from rokeleko.wad (aka map 27 of JPCP)
Difficulty Settings: No, will only be added if people here have any ideas for ways to keep lower difficulties interesting.
Description: 2 arenas of different sizes and concept - the first springs viles and knights in varying combinations when the player takes items from trigger pads. The second is a form of combat puzzle, requiring the player to fire only from marked 'safe zones' to avoid waking a pack of viles.
First map I've ever made, but not my first time with an editor. Made with Doom Builder 2 because I fired up the first program I could find and stuck with it. 7300 linedefs, mostly dedicated to light effects. I'd guess somewhere around 20 hours because 1. I'm not that experienced with Doom, and 2. I'm slow at designing things in general.
Blazing_Emerald.zip

I made the difficulty settings rather quickly, here's what they're like:

HMP adds a bunch of health and armor bonuses, as well as some medkits.

It also makes the health bonuses in one particular encounter worth 5 health rather than 1.

HNTR is like HMP, but removes some monsters, and also has some extra stimpacks because the monster removal didn't feel like enough.

I tried to increase the margin of error without changing things too drastically with these difficulties, hope these work out.

This updated version of the map also adds a few extra decorations where it makes sense for them to be.

Bloody_Circle-V2.zip

@akolai That's certainly an interesting map, both from a visual and gameplay perspective. I liked the lighting effects at display here, and the predominantly green aesthetic crafted by your texture choices in combination with the sky was a joy to look at. It somewhat reminded me of Sunlust, oddly enough. I'm inclined to break the "order of submission" methodology in this case as well and throw this map into the MAP32 slot, given the rather unorthodox nature of the gameplay.

1 minute ago, MFG38 said:

I'm inclined to break the "order of submission" methodology in this case as well and throw this map into the MAP32 slot, given the rather unorthodox nature of the gameplay.

I thought so too, the sound traps in particular don't resemble traditional gameplay by any means. I'll take the Sunlust comparison as a compliment, though.

I was going to finish my second map, but, well, I just don't have enough time. Too bad this is a speedmapping project. Is it fine if I just still work on it and later publish it as a single map or to another CP?

13 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

I was going to finish my second map, but, well, I just don't have enough time. Too bad this is a speedmapping project. Is it fine if I just still work on it and later publish it as a single map or to another CP?

That's too bad. That little teaser from earlier had me sort of excited. Anyway, by all means, do continue working on it and release it at some point. I'd be more than happy to play it. c:

This is a very cool concept. I have been following this thread since the start and here is my contribution. I decided to make a small 'classic' tech base, Doom 1 style. I call the map "Ambush" because most of the enemies are waiting in ambush for the player.

Title: Ambush

Author: PinkFlamingo

Enemies: Shotgunners, Imps, Demons
Textures: BROWN1, BROWNGRN, WOOD5 (+EXITSIGN, DOORBLU, DOORRED)
Flats: CEIL5_2, FLOOR7_1, NUKAGE1 (+F_SKY1)
Custom Sky: MISTSKY1 from Mechadon's Box'o'skies v3
Custom Music: Entrenched by Jimmy (added as D_RUNNIN)
Difficulty Settings: Yes, all are implemented and tested
Multiplayer: Coop- and deathmatch starts are placed. Some extra deathmatch-only weapons have been added as well.

Download

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hjx9pgr0h6uopnk/ambush.wad/file

Screenshots

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201229_193844.png.c88c1f3930761e2b91d8e74d45ecfa02.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201229_193829.png.3e220b5f873ae7e32954361c7df21d88.png

@PinkFlamingo A simple but pretty good map. Gameplay is perhaps a little on the easy side, but that's by no means a problem. No major criticisms on my part.

Y9WQdXd.png

Name: Badwrong Canyon

Textures: STONE2, BRICK 7, ASHWALL 3, scythe.wad ep2 sky

Flats: RROCK 19, CEIL 5_2 , FWATER1

Difficulty Settings: Yes, split between two difficulties (HNTR,HMP / UV)
MIDI: Scythe.wad map12 (D_THEDA2)

Multiplayer starts: Yes

Deathmatch: Yes, but it sucks.

Build time: 3 hours

BADWRONG_CANYON.zip

I'm running out of ways to rephrase essentially the same feedback here... :P

@Swalzi That was quite a fun map! Gameplay wasn't too challenging, but it was enjoyably hectic nonetheless, especially at the beginning with the Imps and Mancubi firing at you from all angles. Didn't catch any bugs or particular points of critique.

This project sparked my interest in making a doom map with the given limits. It's been more than 10 years since I last made a proper singleplayer map, and I've not made many, so feedback is certainly appreciated. Out of habit, I spent a stupid amount of time detailing various parts of the map.

Title: Immundus Stagnum
Author: Worst-vd-plas
Flats: CEIL5_1, FLOOR7_1, NUKAGE1 (+ F_SKY1)
Textures: EXITDOOR, NUKEPOIS, TEKGREN1 (+ DOORBLU, DOORRED, DOORYEL, EXITSIGN)
Sky: OBSKY458 (Generated with OBLIGE 7.70 seed 458963455)
Music: "Wolverine" by Jimmy (from Smart CTF)
Difficulty settings: No (Maybe I'll add some later, if there is still time for it)
Multiplayer: Player starts are there, but it's not been balanced for it.
Description: A some kind of toxic waste facility, where starting from the central hub room, you can proceed in multiple different directions.

Download
Immundus_Stagnum_v3.zip (current)

Immundus_Stagnum.zip (old version)

Screenshots

Spoiler

CGdmQWe.pngiSG4S1Y.png1I8FsjE.png

Edited by Worst : Download link updated

My second speedmap. That was fun! Lemme know what you think. 

Title: Rocket Tears

Author: Death Bear        

Enemies: Shotgunners, Revenants, Cacodemons

Textures: BFALL1, BRICK5, MIDGRATE (EXITSIGN, DOORBLU2, DOORRED2, DOORYEL2)

Flats: RROCK10, FLAT1_1, BLOOD1, (F_SKY1)

Sky: HELLSKY9 (Mek’s Boxo’ skies)

Music: D_SHAWN

Difficulty Settings: UV

MP: None

Description: Plutonia-esque Bloody Hell Castle. Originally made with Chaingunners, but I couldn't finish it. There's a "chasm" (please don't hate me). I got around switch textures using a Sigil-esque mechanic.  

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0zmgfecoe42gxyf/Rockettears_v.1.wad/file

11 hours ago, MFG38 said:

@Weird Sandwich Not one of my favorite maps gameplay-wise, but I'm not going to reject it based on that factor alone. For one, there's a lot of potential for missing out on the Chaingun and RL pickups due to the layout, but on the other hand, there is incentive for exploring the map in its entirety so the player does not miss them. It's also fairly easy to get all of the Archviles in the maze portion ganged up on you at once, which makes dealing with them efficiently pretty hard. Those problems are nigh-impossible to rectify without redesigning more or less the entire map, though, and with the deadline being as close as it is, I understand if you don't want to mess with it.

Thanks for the feedback MFG38! It was an attempt to make a more difficult map than I'm used to, so not surprising that the gameplay is perhaps not as fun as it could be. The player can backtrack to the chaingun and RL but could easily forget, and the difficulty of the archvile section is intended, but maybe too harsh. I did a few small changes to hopefully make the experience smoother:

• Added extra chaingun and rocket launcher pickups to the key rooms so they're harder to miss
  • Set archvile spawn points further away to give player a bit extra time to deal with them

New version here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfijoxgxsg3ph25/deadly_tech_v2.wad?dl=0

Title: Green Stuff

Author: iUsuallyDie        

Enemies: Hell Knights, Arachnotrons, an Archvile at the end

Textures: GSTONE1, MARBGRAY, SFALL1

Flats: DEM1_5, FLOOR7_1, NUKAGE1 (F_SKY1)

Sky: No custom sky

Music: No custom music

Difficulty Settings: UV adds three extra monsters

MP: None

Description: This map will make everything around you look redder. A quick-and-dirty map I whipped up in about an hour after finding this thread at the last possible moment.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/v775k3z1lqpmczz/Green_Stuff.wad/file

Edited by iUsuallyDie

Title: Ankheg's Keep

Music: "Rising Colossus" by Viscra Maelstrom (from the Rebirth MIDI Pack)

Enemies: Cacodemons / Revenants / Mancubuses

Textures: GSTONE1, STONE6, BIGDOOR6

Flats: DEM1_5, CEIL5_2, BLOOD1

Difficulty settings: No

Build time: a bit over 4 hours

Multiplayer starts: Yes, but not designed for

Description: A quickie speedmap, it was supposed to take 3 hours to fit in with the theme, but I ended up going a bit beyond this deadline.

I probably should come up with some fancy story. Ahem, here goes. Ages ago, a cult established their fortress in this cavern, so that they might make human sacrifices in peace. They eventually forgot what god they had once worshipped, but their bloodlust never ceased... 

ankhegs_keep_v10.zip

EDIT: v1.2 released:

ankhegs_keep_v12.zip

Edited by JudgeDeadd

5 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Can't be arsed to write detailed feedback this time around, so I'll simply congratulate @Worst, @Death Bear and @JudgeDeadd - your maps made the cut! @iUsuallyDie wasn't quite as lucky. See this post for details, as the reasons for the rejection of your entry are largely the same.

Fair. I didn't find out about this until the absolute last minute, so I kinda threw it together in a hurry. Definitely going to expand on it though.

As the submission deadline approaches, I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed into 3x3 so far. Thanks to you, the project currently has 24 maps by 21 mappers in its roster! (That's 75% of the number of maps in a 32-level megawad!) Which, for the first community project that I'm hosting, is already more than I expected. If anyone else still wants to contribute and help make the push to the full 32, you have 6 hours to get your maps in.

o9xsd5i.png

Buckshot Bourgeoisie

Textures used - METAL6, STONE, SW1BLUE

Monsters used - Shotgunner, Imp, Revenant

Music - "Stage 4" - The Ninja Warriors Again

Build time - 3-4 hours on the 29th, 3 hours on the 30th.

No difficulty settings yet, feedback appreciated.

30 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

As the submission deadline approaches, I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed into 3x3 so far. Thanks to you, the project currently has 24 maps by 21 mappers in its roster! (That's 75% of the number of maps in a 32-level megawad!) Which, for the first community project that I'm hosting, is already more than I expected. If anyone else still wants to contribute and help make the push to the full 32, you have 6 hours to get your maps in.

A third map wouldn't be accepted, huh?