Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

The UnMaking: a 33-map nightmare for Doom 64 (final version on /idgames)

Happy new year, Ryath!

what a beautiful present you gave us!

Gonna try this right now since its early to get into bed ;)

EDIT: holy new year gift, pal!

this is just amazing!

map02 just screw me... really hard!

Totally digging your puzzleish approach to dooming :D

check this out guys, @Immorpher, @TheMagicMushroomMan, @ChopBlock223, @AmethystViper

Edited by P41R47

9 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Happy new year, Ryath!

what a beautiful present you gave us!

Gonna try this right now since its early to get into bed ;)

EDIT: holy new year gift, pal!

this is just amazing!

map02 just screw me... really hard!

Totally digging your puzzleish approach to dooming :D

check this out guys, @Immorpher, @TheMagicMushroomMan, @ChopBlock223, @AmethystViper

Yes! 2021 is starting off right! I shall get this loaded.

16 hours ago, Bryan T said:

Woweee. Give me gzdoom version naow.

This may or may not be in the cards in the future. I'm not really sure how much additional work would be required and I'd definitely need some help from someone familiar with GZDoom. The version for the Steam port definitely comes first though.

I just completed map 04, and I must say I am pretty amused that, after all these years, someone would make a level whose entire gimmick is literally taken from Marathon's much hated Colony Ship for Sale elevator puzzle, of all things.

Ryath, did you design this mapset with Doom 64 compatibility settings in mind ? I've just found out that map 10 is unbeatable if you turn on infinitely tall actors (you can't walk on top of the barrels that lead to the switch that opens the final arena). Also, if you turn on "grab high items", you can easily get the blue key and bypass the whole explosive barrel gauntlet.

Edited by D.Vile : Fixing a minor mistake.

48 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Interesting. I'll have to check this out sometime, and get Doom 64EX too. Does 64EX support analog sticks?

It may depend on the controller, but I got analog sticks working with it. :)

Hi, I'm on map 07 in the radiation room and I can't understand how to keep going on the level and I'm stuck:

Spoiler

I took the radsuit, killed a cacodemon and the 3 pillars lowered, but after that nothing happens.

I'm playing on the easiest skill with Doom64-EX 2.5 .

other than this , the levels are a blast! Highly recommended!

Wow, I gotta give this a try, it's not too often you see a Doom 64 megawad. Strong way to kick off the new year.

@LuciferSam86 

If Map07 is the same as it was when I was testing this wad, you can lower lifts at the entrance to the room to get out of the radiation once the pillars are done.

Edit: According to @Ryath there is a bug at the moment...so ignore the above

Edited by FrancisT18

Hey, Ryath, i was wondering, what makes this mapset not compatible with the rerelease of Doom64?

I read, somewhere else that the rerelease didn't support non iwad textures.

Are those few you use the ones making this non compatible with the rerelease?

Also, could it be possible for an ULTIMATE Unaligned?

I'm in love with your puzzle style maps, and i want to be raped Thy Flesh Deep in the A... style by them :P

19 hours ago, D.Vile said:

Ryath, did you design this mapset with Doom 64 compatibility settings in mind ? I've just found out that map 10 is unbeatable if you turn on infinitely tall actors (you can't walk on top of the barrels that lead to the switch that opens the final arena). Also, if you turn on "grab high items", you can easily get the blue key and bypass the whole explosive barrel gauntlet.

My unfamiliarity with Doom 64 seems to have bitten me in the ass here because I assumed they'd done away with infinitely-tall Things in 64 the same way as in Heretic. There are only two maps that involve running on top of barrels, but yes, you'd be right that those maps aren't completeable with proper Doom 64 compatibility settings.

3 hours ago, LuciferSam86 said:

Hi, I'm on map 07 in the radiation room and I can't understand how to keep going on the level and I'm stuck:

Shoot. There's supposed to be a wave of hell knights that spawn but it looks like I accidentally left none of them flagged to appear on the easiest difficulty. And since those don't appear, the rest of the fight doesn't trigger either. For now my suggestion is to noclip out of the nukage and continue the rest of the map. One of the pillars blocking the exit will not have opened, but again you can noclip past that. I'm sorry for that oversight. I'll have to add a fix for it.

54 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Hey, Ryath, i was wondering, what makes this mapset not compatible with the rerelease of Doom64?

I read, somewhere else that the rerelease didn't support non iwad textures.

Are those few you use the ones making this non compatible with the rerelease?

The textures are the primary issue, though there may be a way of loading textures if they're included as a separate wad. But there are definitely other problems. I haven't tested in the rerelease too much but even from the very first map there seems to be an issue with the way it processes macro scripts because the macro fails to raise the lifts as intended.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

Also, could it be possible for an ULTIMATE Unaligned?

For a while I was actually considering it, with that exact title, but I think I'm quite done with this series. That doesn't mean I won't be making more maps under different names.

25 minutes ago, Ryath said:

For a while I was actually considering it, with that exact title, but I think I'm quite done with this series. That doesn't mean I won't be making more maps under different names.

My world comes brown ;(

I was hoping for more non-stop puzzley laugh on Ultimate UnAligned: Thy Unfleshed Bottom.

25 minutes ago, Ryath said:

The textures are the primary issue, though there may be a way of loading textures if they're included as a separate wad. But there are definitely other problems. I haven't tested in the rerelease too much but even from the very first map there seems to be an issue with the way it processes macro scripts because the macro fails to raise the lifts as intended.

Well, there is a way to make them compatible.

Ed answered on another thread that Kaiser use the same DoomBuilder64 to make the new episode of ''Lost Levels'' for the Rerelease.

May need some tweaking, but unfortunately i can't help more.

I'm a zero at Doom64 style of mapping.

They use something similar to ACS, kinda like Hexen for the scripted scenes?

Speaking of compatibility with the official Doom 64 remaster, does anyone here know if the Bethesda port also supports Doom 64 EX's "nightmare creatures" flag ? Many of the later levels make heavy use of nightmare monsters, and it would be a shame to lose them.

18 minutes ago, D.Vile said:

Speaking of compatibility with the official Doom 64 remaster, does anyone here know if the Bethesda port also supports Doom 64 EX's "nightmare creatures" flag ?

It does! I made sure of that before using them a bunch in that last episode. 

Made it up to map 07, and had the same issue @LuciferSam86 had. So far though, the maps have been very enjoyable - nice, short, and do a great job of using Doom 64's scripting to make some interesting gimmicks. Lovely work.

On 1/2/2021 at 12:44 AM, D.Vile said:

I just completed map 04, and I must say I am pretty amused that, after all these years, someone would make a level whose entire gimmick is literally taken from Marathon's much hated Colony Ship for Sale elevator puzzle, of all things.

I had *just* last week completed Colony Ship for Sale again, and I was looking forward to never having to see that puzzle for the next years, and now it's finally been transplanted into Doom, hah! Does this mean that other infamous Marathon tropes are soon going to find their way into Doom maps...?

Jokes aside, this looks really incredible and I look forward to playing it, I especially like the whismical theme of some of the later maps. May this be the beginning of a Doom 64 renaissance?

On 1/1/2021 at 5:01 PM, Ryath said:

This may or may not be in the cards in the future. I'm not really sure how much additional work would be required and I'd definitely need some help from someone familiar with GZDoom.

A lot. The only things that get preserved by copying from D64 to UDMF is geometry, texture names and thing numbers.

• You must manually fix textures that are meant to be mirrored by using pre-made mirrored versions with TEXTURES.
  • You must manually re-write all macros into ACS and re-apply line actions.
  • If the map uses any doors that open in the middle, you must manually script them with a door and plat action.
  • You must redo the entire map's lighting using sector colors.
  • Finally you should thoroughly test the map and be aware of differences between engines. Things that work in GZDoom that don't in D64 which need to be scripted to get right (such as using fake object actors to stop the player from being able to grab them early, i.e. Unholy Temple)

It's a lot of work indeed. I may or may not be interested in doing this myself for your WAD, but if I did it wouldn't be for a long time and I'd need your blessing first.

6 hours ago, Dynamo said:

I had *just* last week completed Colony Ship for Sale again, and I was looking forward to never having to see that puzzle for the next years, and now it's finally been transplanted into Doom, hah! Does this mean that other infamous Marathon tropes are soon going to find their way into Doom maps...?

To be fair, Ryath's version of the puzzle is nowhere nearly as grating because:

A) All the switches you need to press are located in the same room, so no backtracking is required.

B) You don't have to manually time your button presses to adjust the lift's height.

Thanks for the kind comments so far! I've honestly been neck-deep in this project for so long that I can't tell whether it's any good anymore.

10 hours ago, Nevander said:

A lot. The only things that get preserved by copying from D64 to UDMF is geometry, texture names and thing numbers.

• You must manually fix textures that are meant to be mirrored by using pre-made mirrored versions with TEXTURES.
  • You must manually re-write all macros into ACS and re-apply line actions.
  • If the map uses any doors that open in the middle, you must manually script them with a door and plat action.
  • You must redo the entire map's lighting using sector colors.
  • Finally you should thoroughly test the map and be aware of differences between engines. Things that work in GZDoom that don't in D64 which need to be scripted to get right (such as using fake object actors to stop the player from being able to grab them early, i.e. Unholy Temple)

It's a lot of work indeed. I may or may not be interested in doing this myself for your WAD, but if I did it wouldn't be for a long time and I'd need your blessing first.

That would be... kind of incredible. I know you're not committing to anything but I appreciate it either way. Feel free to message me on Discord (under "scwiba"). We're on the Doom 64 server together.

I'm at MAP10 so far and I'm loving the puzzle design. You really did spook. me with the Ghost Stories map. My only complaint is that so far I haven't found a single super shotgun. I know it's super powerful, but it seems like I found have found at least one by now. I haven't any secrets so maybe that's why?

Hey all! There's a hot fix version in the OP to address a progress-halting bug in map07 on skill 1 and 2. Update as soon as possible especially if you're playing on those skill settings.

8 minutes ago, buckmatic4 said:

I'm at MAP10 so far and I'm loving the puzzle design. You really did spook. me with the Ghost Stories map. My only complaint is that so far I haven't found a single super shotgun. I know it's super powerful, but it seems like I found have found at least one by now. I haven't any secrets so maybe that's why?

There's intentionally no SSG or BFG (on skill 4 at least) in the first episode. But just wait one more map...

3 minutes ago, Ryath said:

Hey all! There's a hot fix version in the OP to address a progress-halting bug in map07 on skill 1 and 2. Update as soon as possible especially if you're playing on those skill settings.

There's intentionally no SSG or BFG (on skill 4 at least) in the first episode. But just wait one more map...

Hey thanks for your quick reply! I am on WMD (skill 4) so I eagerly await some well-needed blasting.

I only finished map03 so far but I wanted to say the way the same floor shifts to create different combat arenas is SO COOL!

Also the marines on map02 seem kind of janky, though that just might be due to doom64. The marines help me, but then they turn and shoot me once I myself fire a shot, even if it's at a wall.

12 hours ago, RonnieColeman said:

The marines help me, but then they turn and shoot me once I myself fire a shot, even if it's at a wall.

They're a bit unpredictable, yes. You might even say "Manic."

5 minutes ago, Ryath said:

They're a bit unpredictable, yes. You might even say "Manic."

Well, I thought it was intentional. Like some evil entity took and left them in a weird state.

Now for eternity they shoot at everything they see. :)