Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr.Ferret

The holy trinity of FPS games

The holy trinity goes, Doom, Shadow warrior, and duke nukem 3D. And of course Doom is the holiest of the holy trinity. This is just a post about my opinion but I want to know what you guys think.

Doom, Quake and Half Life.

Honorable mention also to Deus Ex. Though I would categorize that more as a stealth/RPG title than a shooter, even though it can support more trigger-happy play styles.

Doom is obviously the single most important FPS, and anyone disagreeing with it is simply wrong. Wolfenstein 3D was undoubtedly the seed and deserves due credit, but without Doom essentially perfecting the formula, the gaming industry would be very different today most likely. Were one to remain objective Quake started true 3D and Half-Life added better storytelling so they would qualify as the most important other two. Others merely tweaked and honed the things they started. If you want to be subjective though it's whatever blows your skirt up. Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior in my opinion added to Doom's formula rather than significantly changing it. More faux 3D environments, more interactivity, more character. But it's still basically the same thing. Good games though.

And this is in Source ports why?

3 hours ago, Dr.Ferret said:

The holy trinity goes, Doom, Shadow warrior, and duke nukem 3D.

I can understand Duke Nukem, but Shadow Warrior? Not saying it isn't a great game but Blood or Half Life would've been a better pick in my opinion.

Also what Murdoch said about the source ports thing.

Doom 1, 2 and 3. I don't know about holy, but they are three of many fps games that I like.

Doom ofc, but for me also Far Cry 1. I think I'm the only human on earth with this opinion, but I just love that game.

In the future the trinity would be:

Doom Eternal, VR Shooters, and Black Ops style.

Personal 3 choices?

Doom, Blood, Dusk

Historically most important?

Doom, Duke3D, Quake

Hard as I am missing some other important (Half Life 1, Deus Ex)

Quake, Unreal, Half-Life.

I know, not Doom. Heresy. But well, it must be a trinity, and...

1. Quake proved it could be done
  2. Unreal proved it didn't all need to be corridors
  3. Half-Life proved the story could be just as good as the action

Wolfenstein 3d, Doom, and Perfect Dark. because....

• Wolf 3d pioneered the fps genre
  • Doom improved upon Wolf 3d
  • Perfect Dark is a major improvement over Goldeneye and way more memorable in my opinion. Goldeneye set a standard, but Perfect Dark enhanced it by creating better visuals, better weapons, and a better experience. it is one of the games that required an expansion pack for the N64 and got featured on Rare Replay for the Xbox One. Goldeneye got none of this.

Borderlands, Destiny, Overwatch

Oh,... holy.

Uhmm,

Doom II: Hell on Earth, Hexen II, Quake III Arena

That's not right either. No Hovertank 3-D; oh shi-

7 hours ago, Ralphis said:

Doom, Goldeneye, Half-Life

Came here to say this. GE/PD figured out the right way to do FPS controls on console when a mouse couldn't be present. (It just needed two analog sticks to truly thrive)

I changed my mind, the holy trinity is Doom, Blood, and Wolfenstein 3D

Edited by Dr.Ferret