Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

What Kind of Car/Motor Vehicle Do You Drive?

This is a very unflattering, dorky, unwilling picture of me next to my 2017 Mustang GT. I know you can't see it all in this shot, but it's more for proof than anything lol. My question is, what kind of car/motor vehicle do you other Doomers drive? My fiance drives a 93' Black Rose colored "C-4" Corvette that she rigged for drag racing.

70742385_3634663519892558_10258851079546

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

A 2000 Toyota Camry in dark blue

toyota_camry_1997_1997_toyota_camry_le_s

Mine has an ever-so-slightly more worn out paint job, but not bad.

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

A 2000 Toyota Camry in dark blue

toyota_camry_1997_1997_toyota_camry_le_s

Mine has an ever-so-slightly more worn out paint job, but not bad.

looks like it's taken good care of.

EDIT: my bad that's not a pic of your actual car. but a pick of the type

Volvo S80 2.5T AWD - a vehicle best known for its crash test videos, but it's very reliable, excellent in winter conditions and rarely short of power.

xeEUJi9.jpg

At the Very Large Array (dishes in one of their more spread-out formations).

BfCYbhu.jpg

At White Sands National Monument.

2018 Honda Fit. Don't have a picture. *shrugs*

Overall I find cars and car talk boring. My cousin starts talking about some car he had and how the bumper design changed in the following year or something and I start zoning out.

3 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

2018 Honda Fit. Don't have a picture. *shrugs*

Overall I find cars and car talk boring. My cousin starts talking about some car he had and how the bumper design changed in the following year or something and I start zoning out.

I actually don't know shit about cars lol.

34 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Not Wendy's?

Also, 2004 Subaru Outback myself.

I'd like to believe that my whip is referencing the McDonald's restaurants in McDonaldland where the food is actually good enough to the point where nobody in that universe cares about anything besides it and not the shitty restaurants that our universe is stuck with. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I ditched my car when I moved to Arizona. Fuck cars. 

why did you stop using cars? just curious.

9 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

why did you stop using cars? just curious.

The first reason is that it's just too much money. Living in New England meant a lot of my yearly earnings got dumped into my used car, including gas money, oil changes, repairs and maintenance, excise taxes, ytitle/registration fees and so on. All this into a used car that I didn't even pay monthly payments for (!) and shit the bed every winter, costing me at least a grand each time. Seriously, I'd have over twice the money in my bank account if I didn't need to own a car. 

Secondly, as I become more environmentally conscious I just didn't see the need to bring it to such a warm climate. Living in MA and NH means dealing with car-focused urban development and having everywhere you want to go at least 20 mins out of the way on foot. At least. Here in Phoenix I can walk to my job, to a restaurant or several, to major shopping outlets, to a bike shop and on and on and on. All within 10 mins or less of my apartment!

Third, I'm buying a skateboard and that's 200x more radical than driving. 

3 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Overall I find cars and car talk boring.

Me too, but surely there are exceptions. Like this one:

5bXHU97.jpg

Or maybe these:

xT9jZ9e.jpg

(Incidentally, Google Photos thinks it sees a face in this picture. Then again, it also thinks my kitten is a kangaroo.)

I drive a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta. Solid car Ive had no problems with it besides a callback recently.

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Me too, but surely there are exceptions.

Nice car henge. As for a face, the two wide spaces between cars could be eyes and the narrow one a nose. Maybe I need sleep.

hello) I have a Honda Civic but this car is so old for me) And I dream about a new one...does anyone know who can transport a new car for me? I live in Michigan. Few days ago I found good reviews about these guys https://transportgator.com/auto-transport-companies/. So I am going to try my risk. Or can anyone advice me anyone else? It will be my first transportation and I want the future owner of my Honda to be really happy with it))

Edited by Elvis1986

I only have a car because of a small number of things that are absolutely not accessible by public transport. Where I live in the UK, buses are reasonable schedule-wise and fares cheap, but they don't go to nature reserves and astronomy clubs, which tend to be in the middle of nowhere by their very nature, plus the town I live in is (by UK standards) in the wilderness anyway. To go shopping in the big city it's a no-brainer: the county-wide multi-rider day bus fare is £5 and the car parking fee alone in Norwich is more than that, and that's before fuel and wear on the car.

But some of these journeys can't even be done by bike due to the equipment; you can't cycle ten miles with several kilos of telescope and astronomy gear and if you fall off a bike with a camera and long lens, that's a very expensive fall; your body can self-repair, Nikon and Skywatcher can't * :(

Not being a petrol-head, I just want a decent car that will not require major servicing or replacement for a few years. In the end I bought a 2005 Vauxhall Meriva (not mine in the image, but same model and year) as it was the only thing the local dealer had for a good price and in excellent condition for it's age. Didn't want a 'grandad's car', though I am old enough to be one, especially not  a mini MPV; however during the first Covid-19 lockdown when I had to work from home eBaying stuff, it was very handy for taking stock to and from the workplace. The driving position is high, so the visibility is good and it's a bit higher off the ground, which given roads like this in rural Norfolk & Suffolk, reduces damage to the suspension and exhaust train.

So nothing exciting for me - I reserve my trailblazing craziness for DooM modding :)

* Love this one: Jim is drinking all night and decides to leave before his wife gets angry. So to not anger her he takes one more bottle and puts it in his pocket, runs home and trips by accident. He feels a warm liquid running down his leg and screams PLEASE GOD LET IT BE BLOOD! This actually happened to a fellow astronomer with a £2700+ telescope in his backpack - he twisted in mid fall so that he would get hurt, rather than the scope - fortunately neither did :))

wf.jpg

m.jpg

If I ever get into the driver seat, expect me to destroy the entire neighborhood. Almost happened once, never again.

On 1/4/2021 at 5:52 PM, Elvis1986 said:

hello) I have a Honda Civic but this car is so old for me) And I dream about a new one...does anyone know who can transport a new car for me? I live in Michigan. Few days ago I found good reviews about these guys https://transportgator.com/auto-transport-companies/. So I am going to try my risk. Or can anyone advice me anyone else? It will be my first transportation and I want the future owner of my Honda to be really happy with it))

What year is your Honda Civic? Mine is 1992 Civic VX.

My car's a 1993 Mazda Astina (not pictured, mine's dark green). I got it for a steal: $750! I've had it since 2015. I've had to take it down the mechanic's a couple of times to get some custom-built replacement parts here and there, but otherwise it's built to last. It spent the last 20 years or so under a tarp in a garage before I found it, so I'm the most action its ever seen. It's a terrific little car.

nzsCsx0.png

I'm on my phone, so won't bother sorting out pictures, but I am very into cars, so I figured I'd post.

When this thread started, I had a silver 2002 Toyota Celica VVTi. Apparently it had the "Premium Pack", so I had leather seats and a "moon roof". It was relatively cheap to buy and not ruinous to run. It was also pretty good, and surprisingly practical for a sporty car. Not a wise choice for a first car, but one I was happy with. I changed the headlights on it to something a bit brighter, clearer and, most importantly, without broken mounts! I also upgrade the stereo header unit, as a tape deck wasn't of much use to me, and a USB port was.

However, thanks to it's age and the pending introduction of an "Ultra-Low Emissions Zone" in Greater London, it was time for an upgrade. So, after 3 and a half years of ownership, I swapped it (and a fair chunk of money) for a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX GB270 saloon, which is one of 300 special edition ones. The guy selling it to me in March said it's likely to retain it's value if I look after it and keep it stock... But I've since discovered it's got aftermarket speakers (which I replaced with ones that weren't fucked), a poorly installed stereo header unit (again, replaced... Also properly installed, with brackets), a big set of front brakes and an aftermarket air intake, which makes some enjoyable noises as the turbo kicks in. It's already costing me a fair bit to insure and maintain, but it's almost to the point where I've mostly cleaned up the legacy of the previous seven owners. I've decided to embrace the performance mods, and had the car tuned for premium petrol and the higher air flow, which has made it incredibly fun to drive and not exacerbated it's thirst in any noticeable way. On the downside, it's already had a few scrapes and cracks on the underside thanks to the terrible roads around where I live. Still, performance and comfort wise it's all good, and all damage is superficial, which seems pretty normal on a daily driver that sees some odd use.

So yes, in response to tightening emissions laws, I got a compliant car that is way more polluting in real terms. Madness, but those are the rules!

2005 Saturn Ion 3 Coupe, and it’s only my second car. It has back doors that are more like half-doors seen on most extended cab trucks. I’d never seen a car with doors like that before and I knew I had to have it. I’ve had it since 2017 and paid $1,500. I’ve had good luck with the car and over the past few years, altogether I’ve probably spent about that much on maintenance, and that’s altogether, not all at once. I do my own oil change, tire rotations, adding air to tires, brakes, etc. and only had a few things I needed to take to a mechanic for, and haven’t had to pay much at all. So I’d say I picked a good daily commuter. Might not be a flashy looker but it’s reliable and can get pretty fast on the highway.  

My first car was a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo. I got it in 2014 and it lasted me to 2017, but just barely. It had problem after problem, most of which I did fix myself (like a motor mount, tierod, to name a couple), but it would only stay together for so long before another issue would arise. Got the car I have now when that one totally shit the bed to the point it was just not worth the cost to repair, so I sold it, but damn... people liked the look of that car and so did I despite its problems. 

Nissan Sentra 2016- just recently had to get rid of the wife’s Ford Escape 2015 due to some serious transmission issues. Bummer for sure but we’re on the prowl for a decent used one somewhere.