Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SelacoDev

[WIP] Selaco - a brand new standalone shooter running on GZDoom

Was wondering when will you guys make a thread here on Doomworld ever since that post on Everything Else. I've got my eyes peeled on this, especially knowing there are a considerable amount of world-building contained in the game.

Looks terrible, as expected by anything running on GZDoom.

JK it looks epic ofcourse. Weapon anims are very much like Prodeus, core look reveals something that's very much within GZDoom's graps and still looks wholly original. Not shader heavy, but effects are used where they make sense.

It getting inspired by FEAR's AI is a plus, but also a challenge. FEAR's AI essentially was a beautifully crafted hack established around a very specific set of requirements to make behavior look believable. GZDoom being what it is, how waypoints work within that realm is definitely going to be something.

So.......basically Fear or Doom 3 (due of the layout) but on a cyberpunk-ish theme. Gonna wait.

14 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Looks terrible, as expected by anything running on GZDoom.

JK it looks epic ofcourse. Weapon anims are very much like Prodeus, core look reveals something that's very much within GZDoom's graps and still looks wholly original. Not shader heavy, but effects are used where they make sense.

It getting inspired by FEAR's AI is a plus, but also a challenge. FEAR's AI essentially was a beautifully crafted hack established around a very specific set of requirements to make behavior look believable. GZDoom being what it is, how waypoints work within that realm is definitely going to be something.

Thanks dude! Trying not to go overboard with the graphical effects was indeed something we wanted to avoid, so I'm glad to hear that is appreciated. 

Getting the AI to be more like FEAR rather than Doom is a tough thing to accomplish. We've made enormous progress and are on the right track, but making improvements to the pathfinding is just a enormous nightmare. Thankfully, zscript is a powerful tool!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Its highly encouraging to me and the team! 

Well shit this looks really cool. I'm digging all the vibes I get from these screenshots: FEAR, Doom 3, System Shock, maybe a little Half-Life? Incredibly impressive use of the Doom engine.

12 hours ago, LVENdead said:

Well shit this looks really cool. I'm digging all the vibes I get from these screenshots: FEAR, Doom 3, System Shock, maybe a little Half-Life? Incredibly impressive use of the Doom engine.

Thank you! 

20 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

So.......basically Fear or Doom 3 (due of the layout) but on a cyberpunk-ish theme. Gonna wait.

...I see nothing wrong with any of this.

"Due to the layout" - levels are very open, as you can see in the gameplay video. There are a ton of different paths I could have taken to reach those soldiers.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:18 AM, Reelvonic said:

This looks awesome

RANDOM SEXIST COMPLAINT THAT YOU PLAY AS A FEMALE

If you google Selaco, you might come across a forum that really dislikes the project because it has a female protag. Claiming its a ''cash grab'' while being very hostile around Selaco for that sole reason. It truly baffles me how this is such a big deal to some people, especially since there are so many good male shooter protagonists already. I want to be very clear to everyone here that Dawn is not a checkbox, she's a well written flawed character who isn't anything like the other FPS heroes out there.

Truth is, we wrote a character document without taking gender into consideration, we just wanted a kickass character. We did auditions for both male and female actors and simply went with the one we thought did the best job delivering the lines. We went with an actress with a background in animation who crushed the audition. From there, Dawn was created and some changes were made to the character's profile to fit her gender more. That's it, very not-exciting 😋

EDIT: I know you were joking about the ''random sexist complaint''. Sorry if my response made it seem like it was directed at you, that was unintentional.

Edited by nexxtic28

That looks really good! The interaction with the environment is a nice touch and the voice acting is spot on. I like the clean, simple HUD and the weapons but I do worry about the levels being too samey in their appearance. I played F.E.A.R. numerous times and I think some of the levels in it were a little bit repetitive but hopefully this will not be the case with this game. 

Good luck with the Steam launch! I'll definitely keep an eye for this one. 

@nexxtic28Fun fact. I've never played any of the Fear games. That's why I can see that I'll get some surprises in the gameplay.

3 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

@nexxtic28 I've never played any of the Fear games.

You really should give it a shot someday! I think its a great game that aged relatively well in most cases :) The full body awareness thing might do some wonky things with the camera every now and then, though. But you will get used to that.

15 minutes ago, Uni said:

That looks really good! The interaction with the environment is a nice touch and the voice acting is spot on. I like the clean, simple HUD and the weapons but I do worry about the levels being too samey in their appearance. I played F.E.A.R. numerous times and I think some of the levels in it were a little bit repetitive but hopefully this will not be the case with this game. 

Good luck with the Steam launch! I'll definitely keep an eye for this one. 

Thank you. I agree about FEAR having repetitive levels, its one of my biggest critiques of the game. I do enjoy the insane amount of office spaces in FEAR because it makes for some fun shoot-outs, but it could have done a better job mixing things up a bit. We are still making the maps for Selaco, but the outline is already there and I think we have nothing to worry about when it comes to variety.

Man, I'm so stoked to show more!

If anything, this reminds me more of F.E.A.R. 2 because of the flashy colors and the futuristic-looking weapons.

Because in addition to being really repetitive, the original F.E.A.R. is very drab-looking.

6 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

If anything, this reminds me more of F.E.A.R. 2 because of the flashy colors and the futuristic-looking weapons.

Because in addition to being really repetitive, the original F.E.A.R. is very drab-looking.

FEAR inspiration comes mostly from its gunplay. While FEAR 2 was a good game, they really gimped the particle effects in that one, making the shooting far less satisfying.

We do not compare ourselves to any of the FEAR games when it comes to the visuals. We strongly believe Selaco stands on its own there.

Yeah, the F.E.A.R. series is really an odd one: while the original one is technically the better game as well as the one that was designed for computers, the second and even the third ones were more varied and colourful, much better paced and especially more engaging in my opinion.

1 hour ago, nexxtic28 said:

Truth is, we wrote a character document without taking gender into consideration, we just wanted a kickass character. We did auditions for both male and female actors and simply went with the one we thought did the best job delivering the lines. We went with an actress with a background in animation who crushed the audition. From there, Dawn was created and some changes were made to the character's profile to fit her gender more. Thats it, very not-exciting 😋

Makes it kind of like Doom's equivalent of Ion Fury.

I thought Ion Fury was always going to feature a female protagonist, being a spin-off of Bombshell.

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

Makes it kind of like Doom's equivalent of Ion Fury.

Could you elaborate on that? 

I think Gez meant to compare your game to the 2016 game Bombshell, which was originally going to be a Duke Nukem game only to be repurposed as a Bombshell one after the developers were denied the right to the Duke Nukem intellectual property.

27 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I think Gez meant to compare your game to the 2016 game Bombshell, which was originally going to be a Duke Nukem game only to be repurposed as a Bombshell one after the developers were denied the right to the Duke Nukem intellectual property.

But he mentioned Ion Fury and not Bombshell. Dawn is not a workaround because we cannot use Doomguy, she's her own character.

Edited by nexxtic28 : missing words

For the protagonist, it's cool that we'll have more serious female protagonist, not calling the first version of Bombshell as a Serious Character a more of a joke.

We have like 20 years of FPS and i can count easily great written Females Characters Protagonists.So i hope your team really shines with her performace.
And i really sorry that's certain forum it's doing that, because it's fails to show gender equalism, but that's topic for another website.

29 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I think Gez meant to compare your game to the 2016 game Bombshell

Nope. I mentioned Ion Fury, not Bombshell, because Ion Fury is a game developed on a modernized Duke Nukem 3D engine and featuring a woman protagonist in a sci-fi setting; while Selaco is a game developed on a modernized Doom engine and featuring a woman protagonist in a sci-fi setting.

Not commenting on the process which led to Dawn being Dawn; just on the fact that she's Dawn.

1 minute ago, Master O said:

@nexxtic28 Obligatory question: will Selaco be open sourced?

Absolutely. I believe its even encouraged with GZDoom's licence. A special directory will be added to the game's root where the source files can be found.

1 minute ago, Gez said:

Nope. I mentioned Ion Fury, not Bombshell, because Ion Fury is a game developed on a modernized Duke Nukem 3D engine and featuring a woman protagonist in a sci-fi setting; while Selaco is a game developed on a modernized Doom engine and featuring a woman protagonist in a sci-fi setting.

Not commenting on the process which led to Dawn being Dawn; just on the fact that she's Dawn.

Yeah, I can see what you mean by that. That makes sense.

3 minutes ago, nexxtic28 said:

Absolutely. I believe its even encouraged with GZDoom's licence. A special directory will be added to the game's root where the source files can be found.

Yeah, I can see what you mean by that. That makes sense.

Ion Fury vs Saleco when?  (joking)

17 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

This is looking great. I like the voice acting (and the snarky health vending machine).

Indeed! Delightful visuals and voice acting. I hope it will get big, like Ion Fury. Can GZDoom handle such amount of detail though? Doom maps often have performance issues.

29 minutes ago, <

Performance is taken into consideration with every decision we make, no worries! Levels are broken up into smaller segments just like Ion Fury and Half Life, where a short tiny loading screen pops up when you enter a hallway that loads the contents at the other side. Secrets are shared across each segment until you complete the level. Effects are also handled cleverly where multiple alpha effects (like smoke) merge together when in close proximity to become a single thicker smoke cloud rather than having everything be an individual object.

On top of that, we have many settings to change. Besides GZDoom's default options, we also have particle count and lifespan, smoke quantity, voxel detail (which removes less ''important'' voxels from the game world like tea cups and paperstacks), reflections and Game Detail.

I think a GZDoom game should be able to run on a lower-end machine.

Thank you for the kind words!

1 hour ago, Master O said:

Ion Fury vs Saleco when?  (joking)

I'm down for a Shelly vs Dawn deathbattle! Make it happen, ScrewAttack!

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

This is looking great. I like the voice acting (and the snarky health vending machine).

Thank you! Bias aside, I agree that the VA's are doing a fantastic job here. I'm glad they are getting recognized for that because a good chunk of time is spend getting things to be delivered just right.

Why not customize and optimize the original GZDoom to work better with Selaco? Like, Selaco's own customized GZDoom that works better, unless you guys aren't good at source port building.