Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myk

Starting it up!

This is like one of those polls that aren't polls, an almost DooMBoy like thread that might yet still be interesting (from the sharing of ideas or tips point of view.)

What do you use to launch the game? Do you use different things for different engines?

I use the DOS command line for DOOM, with easily editable response files. For windows engines I do the same, replacing the command line with a shortcut. I made a page recently explaining my setup preferences as tips and so on (see below.) I use a launcher only for client/server engines, as they are really needed there, to choose the servers. In those cases I always use the standard "official" launchers (zlauncher.exe for zdaemon.)

And you?

This explains how I use response files effectively:

http://www.doom2.net/~mykdoom/command.htm

DOS box most of the time for most ports. Quickest, easiest, most flexible "front end" there is. No searching through endless options, no staring cross eyed at a mass of radio buttons and check boxes, no searching through file lists, no trying to fathom other people's logic about how a front end should be, and no forgetting about some obscure option you used last time, but which has been remembered for this time.

The only other front end I use is Slayer's Doom Commander, which is essentially just a command line anyway. It just means I don't have to type Zdoom at the start.

Tried virtually every launcher going. Good points and bad points with each, none better (for me) than the DOS command, or Slayer's little front end dialogue.

I probably use the DOS box more than anything, it causes the least amount of brain damage, like Enjay said.

I sometimes use the Legacy launcher.

I also have a shortcut on my desktop to the zdoom exe, so from windows explorer I just drag and drop a wad onto the shortcut to play it, zero brain damage with that one also.

Epyo said:

KDX! Sure, it's 200 megs, but hey, I got room!

I got the room, but not the internet connection to get it. :-(

Enjay said:

I got the room, but not the internet connection to get it. :-(

Come on, it's just a little 2-3 hours download! Trust me! :D

EDIT: The zip is actually about 30 meg, 200 when unzipped.

In Windows XP, I usually make a shortcut or a batchfile. When in Windows 98, I use Star- or Norton Commander (V5), MS-DOS version.

Legacy: the Legacy Launcher.
jDoom: Kickstart.
Command line (via Start... Run...) for almost everything else (or sometimes drag + drop for Zdoom).
Sometimes I'll create a batch file if I want to watch a number of demos on the same wad (can be created quickly with a bit of cutting + pasting).

I do most of my stuff in DOS from the command line - vanilla doom/doom2, legacy, edge, zdoom, etc...
I use the program when I used windows95 doom/doom2 and Jdoom I use the kickstart launcher.
Usually when I'm working on a level and I'm in and out of the programs alot I use batch files to do the work for me so I only need to type 1 or 2 words. Like when I was working on my last project I used the replaceable parameter %1 for whichever port I wanted to load with the different wads I was using 4 separate ones for that one so all I had to do was type load (batch program) then the name of the port I wanted to use and bingo - off and running.
:-)
2 words instead of an entire line of commands and I used it to back up my previous file too just in case I didn't like what I saw.

Kappes Buur said:

DOS and batch files, what a pain.

UNLEASHED, what a delight!

http://www.martin2k.co.uk/vb6/exes/unleashed.php

You aren't a DOS person are you? Once the batch file is set up - you can run it and forget it. I set it up with all the options, the files I'm loading - everything I need. I write it once (about 60 seconds) then I never have to mess with it again unless I change my wads or options. It doesn't get much easier than that

I just use the normal exe for whatever prog I'm starting up - e.g. ZDoom.exe, Doom.exe. etc.

Of course I use KDX, because I have to manage a lot of
WAD stuff, as posted in a thread before: My PWAD's (only)
are about 4.5 GB in summary. I have doubts that anyone
can handle Doom stuff as easy as KDX can, that is impossible.
Even if you are just using a few engines and just a few addon
levels, KDX will beat all, no matter what you are using.
Believe me, that is not a marketing joke. Of course you can
continue doing things like you have done before, it's your
very own decision.

The Experience said:

...KDX will beat all, no matter what you are using.
Believe me, that is not a marketing joke. Of course you can
continue doing things like you have done before, it's your
very own decision.

It's a KDX strongarm!!!

I just have it set to launch ZDoom when I click on a wad file, because I'm lazy and I suck. If I'm playtesting or there's multiple resource wads or deh's I just use the run box.

Assmaster said:

It's a KDX strongarm!!!

Yeah, it has so many features, it can do everything you want and
even anything you will dream of ... but you don't have to use
all features :) There are many things implemented which are
redundant in one or the other way, just to have maximum convenience.

I am the god of Doom GUI's :)

PS: The next version will be able to brew coffee /w predicting
the flavour you like most.

pritch said:

run box in 98se.

\doom2\zdoom.exe file.wad -deh file

What's easier?

Not having to type the \doom2\zdoom.exe bit Which is what SlayeR's Doom commander effectively does.

It works from, and knows the directory, so no need for the "\doom2\" and it knows the name of the exe, so no need for "zdoom.exe" all you need is "file.wad -deh file" and if you want to use the same options next time, just hit the up key to recall the last used command line. It can be configured for different EXE's too. I think slayer has a link for it on his page.

It was something he knocked up very quickly, and there are (very) minor glitches in it, but I've been using it for months now. Slayer did say he may do a little more on it, but I don't think that happened.

I've written a little program that lets me type stuff like "doom -zdoomgl -doom2 -file blah.wad" in Windows Run. The reason why I did this was so that I could reorganize my Doom directory and keep each port with its belonging files in a subdirectory in /doom/.