Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

18 hours ago, whybmonotacrab said:

Superflight

Love that game. Picked it up for a similar price and it's been on semi-constant rotation in my Steam library for the last 18 months. Something to pick up for five minutes when I'm bored.

You have utterly smashed my high score. I'm always too gung-ho.

In between various Doom WADs, I'm currently playing Heaven's Vault. It's a kind of indie science fiction adventure/exploration/archaeology game, but all the puzzle elements are based around learning to translate an ancient script from found fragments. At first it's confusing, but once something clicks, it starts to flow. It's a really intriguing setting, and the uncovering the history of it feels utterly vital.

The point where you've learned to translate the pictograms in the game's title is a good one.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/774201/Heavens_Vault/

spent about a week playing Doom Eternal.  it was frustrating, i liked it less the more i played it.  mostly had to force myself to finish it, this wasn't the case with doom2016. 

on the upside, played Gemini Rue in a single sitting yesterday. amazing music, great sprites.

30 minutes ago, loveless said:

spent about a week playing Doom Eternal.  it was frustrating, i liked it less the more i played it.  mostly had to force myself to finish it, this wasn't the case with doom2016. 

on the upside, played Gemini Rue in a single sitting yesterday. amazing music, great sprites.

That was exactly the way I felt about Doom Eternal. I haven't finished it and I don't think I'm going to.

Doom 2016 I adored enough to unlock all the things, but Doom Eternal... meh, I dunno.

Had an eye on Gemini Rue for a long time, now. Maybe I should just get on and play it.

23 minutes ago, loveless said:

Hey, as someone who's played and enjoyed Eternal for almost 100 hours, I can say that it is indeed something that is hard to get into at first. Similarly to 2016, the hardest part of the game is the beginning. You have no upgrades or anything, and probably still learning the combat loop. You will surely get your teeth kicked in when first playing Eternal but it's all a part of the learning experience. Takes what 2016 did and cranks it up to 11.

I struggled a lot when first playing 2016 and Eternal (on UV), but after some time into each game, probably like a few levels, you eventually find what the best weapons are, you find the movement loop, the weak points, the best utilization of weapon mods and other equipment, what your preferred runes are, etc. Everyone has their own style of play when it comes to these two games, and it takes a bit of time to get it. You can change the difficulty mid-game, too. I'm not sure what you played on.

Sorry to hear Eternal frustrated you. It's very much a niche that requires quite a few low-health states and deaths to really understand and enjoy. All a matter of practice and persistence. Hopefully you will pick it up again sometime.

54 minutes ago, loveless said:

It literally took me a year to play through Doom 2016 and I kinda disliked more of it than I liked. Eternal was better. It was possibly harder, but I found it way more interesting for the most part, although inherently modern game design to me is sloggy and I don't know if I'd ever replay it. I definitely won't replay Doom 2016. Even if I'd acknowledge that they're well made games, and they are, I would rather play more classically designed FPSes any day of the week. 

12 hours ago, Silhou3tte said:

Dusk is a masterpiece in terms of level design, gameplay and general design. Prove me wrong, I dare you(not you specifically, just... I don’t really know)

Nope, I fully agree with you. Everything about Dusk's level design and gameplay is pretty much perfect. I can really think of only three things that irritate me about it: The rats are fucking annoying (and tiny annoying melee enemies are the bane of any game, they sucked in Blood, they suck now), the Dog Cart looks like crap but it could've been a really good melee enemy on par with the pinky, but it just looks stupid, and the Sisters/Mothers look like crap, despite filling a vital role on par with the Iron Maiden in Quake 2. But the models look terrible.

However they all fill their niche roles, I just think they could've been designed differently. Aside from the rats, fuck the rats.

6 hours ago, LordEntr0py said:

That was exactly the way I felt about Doom Eternal. I haven't finished it and I don't think I'm going to.

Doom 2016 I adored enough to unlock all the things, but Doom Eternal... meh, I dunno.

Had an eye on Gemini Rue for a long time, now. Maybe I should just get on and play it.

do yourself the favor and buy it.  directly proceed to faceplanting until it's over. do not pass go, do not collect $200(until playing).  you'll enjoy yourself!

6 hours ago, loveless said:

I find it frustrating as fuck as well.  While it has been mentioned that like Doom 2016, the beginning is the hardest, you weren't fighting Revenants, Hell Knights and Arachnotrons early on.  The game's balance is broken.  

Once I'm done with Ys 8, I am going to soldier through it, but frankly, if things don't improve soon, I'm going to shelve it.  

5 minutes ago, pilottobombadier said:

I find it frustrating as fuck as well.  While it has been mentioned that like Doom 2016, the beginning is the hardest, you weren't fighting Revenants, Hell Knights and Arachnotrons early on.  The game's balance is broken.  

Once I'm done with Ys 8, I am going to soldier through it, but frankly, if things don't improve soon, I'm going to shelve it.  

yoooo, how was Y's?  i haven't touched one since Memories of Celceta on ps vita. had a great time except for the story to actually happen after 10 hours of playtime!

4 minutes ago, loveless said:

yoooo, how was Y's?  i haven't touched one since Memories of Celceta on ps vita. had a great time except for the story to actually happen after 10 hours of playtime!

Ys 8 is awesome.  Its story does take a bit to pick up, but there's so much going on around you.  It has some interesting twists and turns. 

It's also much longer than than the rest of the games in the series.  I finished Memories of Celceta in 24 or so hours.  Ys VII (PSP, but available for Vita, too) is about 27.  Ys 8 clocks in at about 40 or so, and that's not doing everything that's possible to do.

6 hours ago, Jello said:

But the models look terrible.

I have a strong feeling that they were meant to like quake’s ageing character models.

7 hours ago, Jello said:

fuck the rats.

The dev knew that people were irritated by them, so he made a secret level in episode 3( the ratacombs) where you fight nothing but rats. There’s even a steam achievement called “ so I hear you like” for completing that level.

Recently beat Hexen II and portals for the first time. Currently replaying Hexen, pretty much just have to beat the last hub of Deathkings. Should have played chocolate, but went with GZDoom. Can't wait for EE support but not holding my breath. I should dig out Heretic II and finish the franchise. Might play some user maps for both Hexens, might even try to make some.

I was also playing western rpgs, not sure where I'll go when I get back in. I really should beat more blobbers, especially Wizardry 8, but I might play more dandy games; that's my crpg comfort food. Maybe beat Swordflight.

2 hours ago, Silhou3tte said:

I have a strong feeling that they were meant to like quake’s ageing character models.

The dev knew that people were irritated by them, so he made a secret level in episode 3( the ratacombs) where you fight nothing but rats. There’s even a steam achievement called “ so I hear you like” for completing that level.

I was wrong when I referred to the Cowgirl as the Sister, I was thinking of the fact that they upsized the model to make the Mother as a boss. The cowgirl/mother model really bugs me because it just looks like crap. They're good enemies, and they fulfill the same role that the Iron Maiden did in Quake 2, but the model just looks bad. And the same goes for the Cart Dog; I realize it fulfills the role of a very fast melee enemy, but it just looks stupid. It's a legless dog suspended in a wooden cage. 

However I do think think the rest of the enemies really look nice, and I love the basic design. I'm still of the opinion that Quake has some of the best, and unique character designs in any game I've ever played. The Shambler, the Fiend, the Ogre, and the Scrag all stand out as excellent designs. The soldier and the enforcer, while kind of generic, are still well designed, the knights and hell knights stand out, the vore is just creepy as hell. Even the Rottfish stands out. In fact the only enemy that doesn't really stand out is the Spawn, because it's just an annoying blob.

So yeah, I love the enemy design in Dusk for the most part, because it's simple but it gets the point across. It's not over-developed, and you can instantly tell what an enemy is going to do for the most part. Nothing looks quite like anything else, and they all have their own niche to fill. I'd just like to see the cowgirl have a few more polygons thrown at her, and the Cart Dog replaced with an actual creature that charged at you instead of a dog suspended in a wooden cage.

And the rats still suck, and they always will. They sucked in Blood, along with the spiders, the skull spiders sucked in Ion Fury, tiny enemies just suck in general. The mosquitoes and frogs sucked in Daikatana. I just don't see the advantage of adding tiny little enemies that are hard to hit unless you want to piss people off.

3 hours ago, pilottobombadier said:

I've cursed also at the Beginning, but than i've learned just to use the Chainsaw every third Enemy (it is only there so often).

The only Problem is that you have nearly no Ammunition and Weapons at the Start, surely to force you to learn to use the Chainsaw ;)

Later on you will never get out of Ammunition because you have More Weapon, bigger amount of Ammo, Upgrades and the Chainsaw refills you constantly.

The Combat is so much Fun.

I have 60 Hours in the Game, also tested the Battlemode, but i can't recommend it.

Also the DLC isn't very good, it feels like a third Party Expansion Pack of the 90s.

But the Maingame will stay one of my Favourites ever.

To the Topic:

Playing Dragon Quest XI.

5 hours ago, Jello said:

I was wrong when I referred to the Cowgirl as the Sister, I was thinking of the fact that they upsized the model to make the Mother as a boss. The cowgirl/mother model really bugs me because it just looks like crap. They're good enemies, and they fulfill the same role that the Iron Maiden did in Quake 2, but the model just looks bad. And the same goes for the Cart Dog; I realize it fulfills the role of a very fast melee enemy, but it just looks stupid. It's a legless dog suspended in a wooden cage. 

However I do think think the rest of the enemies really look nice, and I love the basic design. I'm still of the opinion that Quake has some of the best, and unique character designs in any game I've ever played. The Shambler, the Fiend, the Ogre, and the Scrag all stand out as excellent designs. The soldier and the enforcer, while kind of generic, are still well designed, the knights and hell knights stand out, the vore is just creepy as hell. Even the Rottfish stands out. In fact the only enemy that doesn't really stand out is the Spawn, because it's just an annoying blob.

So yeah, I love the enemy design in Dusk for the most part, because it's simple but it gets the point across. It's not over-developed, and you can instantly tell what an enemy is going to do for the most part. Nothing looks quite like anything else, and they all have their own niche to fill. I'd just like to see the cowgirl have a few more polygons thrown at her, and the Cart Dog replaced with an actual creature that charged at you instead of a dog suspended in a wooden cage.

And the rats still suck, and they always will. They sucked in Blood, along with the spiders, the skull spiders sucked in Ion Fury, tiny enemies just suck in general. The mosquitoes and frogs sucked in Daikatana. I just don't see the advantage of adding tiny little enemies that are hard to hit unless you want to piss people off.

I’ve always had the idea that if you can instantly tell an enemy apart from another than they are well designed, visually. I completely agree that tiny, hard to hit enemies are really irritating( a common thing in the 90’s) such as lost souls, spawns, spiders and rats. It’s just binary design, since they either jump at the player and are hard to hit, and don’t really have any other attacks that change how you approach a combat encounter.

Quake’s models still look great( if a bit aged) and, as you said, you can instantly recognise each one and they have interesting attacks. Except the Spawn. I HATE the spawn.

Genshin Impact,  thought I'd try it on PS4 and was pleasantly surprised for a free to play, good to chill on for a couple of hours a day. 

Right now, I'm playing Minecraft. I've got a pretty nice cliffside base started, which is really one of the better ways to get started in Survival.

Still Most Wanted 2005 with the Beta Content mod.

Really freshened up a game I have otherwise played to death over the year. Career done, now on to the challenge series *aggressive gas noises* .

Spoiler

Feeling cute too, might think of a "Furmobile" some time :p . Kinda know what car model that may be.

39 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

Half-life, after that I'll do blue shift and then opposite force

Good idea doing Opposing Force last, because then you'll know how good Half-Life could be. And why Gearbox got such a good reputation to begin with, and then pissed it all away. Opposing Force is just so damn good for an expansion pack.

Blue Shift was just more basic Half-Life with all of the interesting weapons and locations taken away; and Gearbox actually removing weapons and NPC's that made Opposing Force so much more fun and engaging. So yeah, I have to facepalm on just how lackluster Blue Shift turned out. I guess they added the hi-poly models and weapons, but that's kind of a moot point when the actual campaign pales in comparison to the original Half-Life and Opposing Force.

Moving on to Doom Eternal slowly.  I find it very hard to play when tired or stressed, or tired and stressed.  Still haven't seen any improvements in game balance...

So, I've also given myself a project; decided to jailbreak my Vita and start installing PC ports.  Half-Life, interestingly enough, is one of those, but it seems glitchy although that may be a GPU clock issue that I've since addressed.  Chocolate Doom runs pretty well, though, with Doom/2, Heretic, Hexen and Strife all running.

But otherwise, thoroughly intrigued.  Also spending some time with the Capcom brawler pack on PS4 (no doubt it's little different on PC).  Fuck those games were cheap.  Just went through Knights of the Round, and I couldn't believe how often the bosses blocked - while attacking.

King of Dragons was pretty zen, though.  But it makes you think, fuck, I should get a couple of those cabinets and start my own arcade!!

Also toying around with Risk of Rain 2 (was on sale), it's very different.  I was hoping it would have couch co-op, but it does not, so wifey and I can only play the first one, although she likes the 2d quality of the first one...and 3d games are rarely her cup of tea.

Finished my 2nd melee street kid run with Cyberpunk 2077, will continue with a 3rd corpo run once all updates and DLCs are out. Great game, great stories, very easy to get into and get stuck in, just lacks a little bit of polish ba'dum'tss.

I needed more RPG-ish stuff to sink my teeth into, so I created a new character in Warframe to start fresh and get used to the mechanics again, been ages since last time I played it, lots of things changed, new intro, new tutorial, even an entirely new planet.

I got myself the Master Chief Collection on Steam for Christmas Day. I've completed Halo:CEA and I'm currently playing my way through Halo 2 Anniversary.

Playing Halo was oddly nostalgic, even though I'm pretty sure that I only ever played the multiplayer when I was around friends' houses, since I've never had an Xbox. Maybe I played the co-op at some point. Getting used to the Chief's glacial movement speed and oddly floaty jumping mechanics requires a bit of re-orientation after playing Doom Eternal. Being able to increase the FOV helps to avoid that "constantly trapped in purple goo" feeling. There's a definite contrast in map design; outdoors areas look fantastic, but many indoors areas like the Library look like they've been cut and pasted, a flaw which is only magnified by Halo:CEA's fondness for back-tracking.

Speaking of FOV, since I actually remember playing the Halo 2 campaign in co-op on the Xbox, increasing it makes the guns you hold look a bit weird. I think the default FOV is something silly like 70 degrees or something?! I don't understand. Fighting the Flood with the Energy Sword is more fun than I remember it being, but why did they change the sound when you draw it? It was distinctive and memorable, now it just sounds generic.

Also I'm not sure I would have chosen to translate the vehicle controls to mouse and keyboard they way they did, you don't really get as much of a feel for the weight of the vehicle as you did with the controller on the original console. But I'm getting used to it.

Maybe I sound like I'm complaining, but the gunplay is really fun and using a mouse and keyboard means I can get better use out of the arsenal. I'm actually the most salty over the fact that the Halo 5 campaign isn't available on PC.

My brother addicted me to Dark Souls. I wanted to get into it at some points but it's hard to get into it. He is really into Dark Souls series and Bloodborne and all that. Everytime we talk, he'll describe things about Dark Souls the same way I'll talk for hours about Doom. He was watching my gaming channel BugoTheCat plays, and was like "hey why don't you make some Dark Souls, I'll watch it all!". And I finally did it. It's an interesting game in many aspects, but very long, very addictive and very ragequitty. I am getting better with it, but if I sit down to play for 1 hour I end up with 3-5 hours. Sometimes I also need to grind a lot and of course the player moves much slower than Doom, so if I need to backtrack to reach a bonfire it takes longer and is more tedious. If I lost my souls and I must retrieve them before I finish for the day, I'll waste another half/1 hour especially if I die again. These days I took a break from Dark Souls and tried to play Doom again. The fast movement of Doom player felt great again, but I admit Dark Souls is a pretty different game and pretty interesting and clever in design.

I loved Call of Duty ®: Black Ops, BOII, BOIII, and BOIIII, and obviously the zombies mode, which I still love, but I got really burnt out with COD after Tag Der Toten, and didn't end up buying MW: 2019 until around the end of August 2020. Then... I recently picked up Call of Duty®: Black Ops: Cold War, and absolutely loved it. i'm currently playing zombies and MP, and already finished campaign on hardened. The game is REALLY good, and I'm happy that it's fun again. Die Maschine is also fun, and doing challenges is a grind though.

10 hours ago, Optimus said:

My brother addicted me to Dark Souls. I wanted to get into it at some points but it's hard to get into it. He is really into Dark Souls series and Bloodborne and all that. Everytime we talk, he'll describe things about Dark Souls the same way I'll talk for hours about Doom. He was watching my gaming channel BugoTheCat plays, and was like "hey why don't you make some Dark Souls, I'll watch it all!". And I finally did it. It's an interesting game in many aspects, but very long, very addictive and very ragequitty. I am getting better with it, but if I sit down to play for 1 hour I end up with 3-5 hours. Sometimes I also need to grind a lot and of course the player moves much slower than Doom, so if I need to backtrack to reach a bonfire it takes longer and is more tedious. If I lost my souls and I must retrieve them before I finish for the day, I'll waste another half/1 hour especially if I die again. These days I took a break from Dark Souls and tried to play Doom again. The fast movement of Doom player felt great again, but I admit Dark Souls is a pretty different game and pretty interesting and clever in design.

It sounds like the way I am with the Baldur's Gate games now that I feel like I'm playing those properly. I put my time into Dark Souls 1 and 2 but disliked too much about them really. I mean I like the general theme, I like the indepth itemisation, and I liked some of the level design ideas. But I found for everything I liked about the level design, many parts of it were just bad to me. Like really bad, unforgiveably bad. Whole levels come across as unfinished, like Lost Izalith, several bosses are awful and I found none to really be good, and in general it's a slow, turgid game whereas the challenging action games I've liked in the past are games like Ninja Gaiden Black and God Hand. I also don't like any of the online aspects and would prefer they just weren't there. 

All said, at least I still kinda understand why it's well liked, but the player base is really obnoxious and the memes around it are annoying (like how they really, really don't rate very high in the difficulty department when stacked up against many, even popular games)