Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Would You Like A True Sequel to Return To Castle Wolfenstein?

RTCW is a awesome successor to Wolfenstein 3D, and a very excellent remake. Wolfenstein 2009 was more CoD than Wolfenstein, and while Machinegames tried bringing old-school elements back to the series, their titles still have sprinting, aim down sights, linear level design, and are more story driven than past titles. Would you like to see a sequel to RTCW with gameplay reminiscent of Doom 4 and Eternal? There would be differences of course. One difference would be the lack of finishing moves. Another difference would be the lack of a skill and upgrade system. The supernatural elements of Wolfenstein games before The New Order would make a return. What do you guys think?

I thoroughly enjoyed RTCW back in the day, both the campaign and toooons of time spent on multiplayer. Back in the day at work one of the founders was hosting a server on the work lan, so we'd all jump on with 0 ping and in the same room able to yell orders, and just lay waste to the pubs!

I never did get in to the free... thing? Enemy Territory? But holy crap this reminiscing is hitting me hard and I think I need to reinstall tonight

If you want supernatural elements, play The Old Blood. 

33 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

and while Machinegames tried bringing old-school elements back to the series, their titles still have sprinting, aim down sights, linear level design, and are more story driven than past titles. 

AKA all the things that successful FPS games have. Those things aren't going away. 

I'll be honest, the Wolfenstein series reboot held my attention better than RTCW ever could.  I also (and like, three other people, apparently), liked its "sequel", Wolfenstein, much more, as well.

I am mostly fine with where Wolfenstein is heading, and I'd rather have multiple takes on the IP than the same thing endlessly.

I love RTCW, and I love the 'Eagles Dare' references sooo I'd rather have a remaster, a proper remaster not one with just added lighting.

5 hours ago, pilottobombadier said:

I'll be honest, the Wolfenstein series reboot held my attention better than RTCW ever could.  I also (and like, three other people, apparently), liked its "sequel", Wolfenstein, much more, as well.

I on the other hand felt The New Order was just another crappy modern shooter that I didn't like at all, and I know there's no point at all playing TNC given how much it's just everything bad about TNO supercharged. 

I also didn't really like RTCW, I just couldn't get into it. I liked the 2008 game the most (and I think calling that a CoD like game is untrue, I felt TNO had that feel far more), but even then I probably wouldn't care for it now. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

AKA all the things that successful FPS games have. Those things aren't going away. 

Those things are terrible and those games are terrible, success doesn't change that. And I'm sure someone's going to say "Well like, that's your opinion man", and I'm like "Yes. Yes it is. And as far as I'm concerned, my opinion is fact, because it is fact as far as I care to discuss it."

I doubt there's anything they would likely do with Wolfenstein that I would enjoy, so I can be honest and say I don't really care what they do with it.

I want a sequel to Wolf3D on the Doom engine :O
(That actually looks like something Id would have made instead of what WolfenDoom tries to do, and the 90s WolfenDooms don't count)

Edited by SOSU

2 hours ago, hybridial said:

Those things are terrible and those games are terrible, success doesn't change that.

floating-laughing-emoji-characters_52683

6 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

mockery

It is a subjective matter, and it is also a mainstream opinion in retro communities like ours, so mocking it is double strange.

Were you on your seat raging when Avatar lost out at the academy awards? Since your elaborate contributions to this thread I can tell your opinion is that sales figures are an objective metric for enjoyment/quality.

4 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

I can tell your opinion is that sales figures are an objective metric for enjoyment/quality.

Hot Take: Sometimes good things sell well. Sometimes something selling well is an indicator that it actually might be pretty good. 

It's just a hilarious opinion because prior to The New Order, Wolfenstein was largely forgotten about. Wolf 2009 wasn't popular, didn't sell and received mixed reviews...you're not getting that style of FPS again. It's hard to take seriously the notion that TNO/TNC are "terrible" when they revived the damn franchise in the first place. 

So you've got your hilarious opinion, why single out 1 guy and mock his in a "what's your opinion" thread? Toxic as fuck

Yes. I didn’t really enjoy the TNO and TNC( the story stuff didn’t mix well  and the tone was all over the place in my opinion). 

Edit:Please let’s not turn this thread into a insult flinging contest. We all have our own opinions

Edited by Silhou3tte

The New Colossus was criticised quite a bit and I've seen videos heavily critical of things like its level design. It doesn't seem to be a controversial opinion to not like that one, TNO by comparison split people a lot less and I often see people say that one was good even when TNC disappointed them. And absolutely no one seems to like Youngblood which seems to have damaged the Wolfenstein brand. 

But when I played TNO I have no idea why people would say that it in anyway succeeded in having old school appeal, what I played was completely just a modern FPS, with emphasis on set pieces and linear design, half baked elements like the stealth and boring gameplay centred around shooting mooks with guns. It just bases its appeal on the superficial elements, and I'm well past finding that to have any appeal. 

It's just the videogame equivalent of Hollywood CGI movies, substance is secondary to style and throwing money on the screen and using the most rudimentary tools to get that done. 

I understand why games like that are successful. It has nothing to do with them being good. Doom 2016 and for me more successfully, Doom Eternal did manage to be pretty good, because having some vision about the gameplay and the hours actually spent interacting with it at least seems important to the people making it. Maybe that was true for TNO, but I think TNC only showed Machine Games would rather join Naughty Dog in making movies. And they are not very good at it either, it's not material that would overly impress someone well versed in film storytelling. 

6 minutes ago, hybridial said:

think TNC only showed Machine Games would rather join Naughty Dog in making movies. And they are not very good at it either,

LMAO

I always wondered why some have this fetish of wanting to be like the auter David Cage

13 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

while Machinegames tried bringing old-school elements back to the series, their titles still have sprinting, aim down sights

People seem to forget that Wolfenstein 3D had sprinting and the whole game was BJ aiming down his sights too.

1 hour ago, Doominator2 said:

People seem to forget that Wolfenstein 3D had sprinting and the whole game was BJ aiming down his sights too.

Hm... not sure if centered weapons are the same thing as aiming down sights. You could say the same about classic Doom.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Hm... not sure if centered weapons are the same thing as aiming down sights. You could say the same about classic Doom.

Also the sprinting in Wolf3D isn't really sprinting but rather running much more faster than the already fast running speed. It's also in Classic Doom.

Oddly enough, I think Wolfenstein 2009 was the most enjoyable game in the series. The original Wolfenstein was a bunch of copy/pasted mazes with limited enemies and weapons. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was really good at the time, but whenever I go back and replay it, it feels boring and lifeless. It looked really good at the time, and I liked the occult atmosphere, but I don't think it aged particularly well. Wolfenstein 2009, while not without it's problems, added far more of the occult shit to it, and made it more interesting. Even if it did end up adding some more COD mechanics, the combat felt fast paced and enjoyable.

TNO was okay, and completely acceptable. TOB was more of a return to the original Wolfenstein and the occult setting and it was fantastic. TNC was a bunch of bullshit trying to pass itself off as a legitimate story while being as boring and cliched as it possibly could. TNC just sucked ass, and every time I go back and try to finish it, it just magically manages to suck even more ass.

That's just my personal opinion of course. But man, it's like it has a nazi straw re-enforced with some kind of secret occult energy that allows it to suck more ass than would be feasibly possible.

Out of curiosity, why do people dislike TNC so much exactly? Unlike TNO, I have not played the full game, as my computer seemed to be struggling to run the demo, but from what I have experienced and also what I have seen from a Let's Play, it looked at least on par with its predecessor.

The only part that I could clearly tell sucked was the Freedom Chronicles DLC.

At least to me TNC had worse gunplay, the story was over-saturated, and most of the time I was just running back and forth inside the ship. Even during missions the gunplay just felt like a slog that you had to get through so you could get back to the ship and listen to people complaining about Nazi's. It felt less like a game than a half-baked story about how Nazi's are bad. Which they are, I certainly like killing Nazi's, I would rather just kill them than listen to people bitching about them. And honestly the guns felt less satisfying than they did in TNO or TOB, and even less satisfying than Wolfenstein 2009 or RTCW.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

TNC has better gunplay but a worse story. 

Then how is the game bad?

RTCW was a fine game in it's day. To me, the Old Blood is a decent and true sequel to it set in the same time with supernatural elements. That said, I would like to see more along those lines, yes. The New Order was great, very emotionally impactful and fun to play. The New Colossus was hit and miss. Strong moments in level design, environmental storytelling, and gameplay, but it definitely needed less story. I like a good story, but for an FPS the balance was off. Less cutscenes, more actual levels.

And Youngblood? No. All of the no.

I want more Wolfenstein on Doom.

WolfenDoom was a good approach, and Operation: Artic Wolf is excellent and really hard on lower difficulties.

But balance is crucial as it could become a hitscanner hell in no time.

I totally think that good Wofenstein maps could be done in Doom Engine.

11 hours ago, SOSU said:

I want a sequel to Wolf3D on the Doom engine :O
(That actually looks like something Id would have made instead of what WolfenDoom tries to do, and the 90s WolfenDooms don't count)

wolfenstein 3d: part 2 - the way Id did

I love the new alternative Wolfestein (The new timeline) and that's include the Youngblood, i just trink this kind of gameplay flow better with the Wolf IP, instead of a full retro one, i expect a retro game more out of place stuff like Duke Nukem 3D or Shadow Warrior, but Wolfestein play like a action mil-Shooter (something as a CoD Campaing, and it's feel rigth)