Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

New Doom 2 map : "Cobra Kai Never Dies except when you die" - each difficulty setting designed from scratch

DOWNLOAD IT HERE! https://drive.google.com/file/d/14OunNRPsljurIhXPhnUidnEeKcoFLoaI/view?usp=sharing

Tested in GZDOOM and requires a similar port

Standard Doom 2 mapping format / nothing fancy 

No jumping/crouching (Ironic I know)

Freelook is totally fine - your call

Short map really, 10 minute playtime in a demonic dojo on an inescapable circular mountain overlooking lava

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20210116-111759.png
Screenshot-Doom-20210116-173155.png
Screenshot-Doom-20210116-173202.png
Screenshot-Doom-20210116-173218.png
Screenshot-Doom-20210116-173241.png
Screenshot-Doom-20210116-173303.png
TITLEPIC.png

With a larger map on the shelf and no motivation to do anything else and watching too much Cobra Kai, I bring you this!

Hope you like it, it's hard on all settings:

UV: Shotguns at the start and 100 monsters! - exceptionally hard for UV quite the challenge!

HMP: More like UV and focuses on rockets/chaingun start - 80 monsters much easier

ITYTD/HNTR: Hard start with plasma gun and archies / 60 monsters

7 secrets!! but ppl are seeming to avoid using them for an extra challenge - lol 

SKY: Mek’s Box ‘O Skies!

Music: From Cobra Kai, so if you make a video you won't make money, if you don't care about money post the video or change the music

All feedback, video playthrough and etc welcome. I would not request LMPS as I can never seem to play these

Please let me know if you tried all difficulty settings and let me know what you think of the differences. Each difficulty should offer a fun challenge to even the experienced I hope

It's like if you enlisted in Cobra Kai but had to fight MONSTERS!!!!!!

BIG THANKS to Arqueto. I showed him my unnamed map and he named it this and made the artwork as always. This influenced my music and some texture choices!

Good times

DOWNLOAD IT HERE! https://drive.google.com/file/d/14OunNRPsljurIhXPhnUidnEeKcoFLoaI/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Clippy : STRIKE FIRST - STRIKE HARD - NO MERCY

Small and action packed map in the vein of shut up LSA, in terms of space and layout. The structure is very cool, looks like an isolated tower sorrounded by lava, old school abstract flavour! Start is kinda hectic and kicked my ass 1st try, had to figure the switches in order to get out quick so monsters would eventually infight.

This map is about movement since you dont have too many space, and the outside area, if you can call it that, is even smaller, so you are forced to fight those closets while the bull is roaming, sweet little design. The secrets are 100% legit, even though the last one was hard to find in my 1st run. 

You probably want to "fix"/enlarge the berserker secret sector size, sometimes you wont get it, besides there a couple of misaligned "support" textures in the central area, just minor stuff really.

I will try to play the other difficulties to see what changes, or at least watch someone elses run, it was really fun in UV.

Keep making these short and highly entertaining maps buddy, you are the best when it comes to it.

Heres my run (3rd attempt):

Had to export this video in 720p60 otherwise YouTube would take hours to upload in 1080p60...but even then it took a while...

GZDoom 4.5, Boom compatibility

Semi-blind runs

I intentionally went for zero secrets on all three runs (HNTR, HMP, UV) for this recording after seeing what the rewards were, most of which would've made the maps super trivial. I'd probably say non-max playthroughs like these are more beneficial.

Secrets or not, I really liked this map. The compact design is great, makes you think about your movement more. Difficulty-wise, I'd say it was a bit underwhelming from what was advertised, but that's probably just me. :)

As for difficulty settings - I see what you were going for making each difficulty setting from scratch, but that triple-Archvile opening on HNTR is definitely a lot more difficult than UV, which is just a combination of monsters and both shotguns. After the first room, the map does let up (across all difficulties), albeit not without it's surprises. I'd probably say that HMP was the most balanced in terms of ammo and encounters, even if it wasn't as hard. Other than the very first encounter, you did pretty well on managing the difficulty settings. Remember, more monsters does not necessarily mean more difficult. :D

I should probably get around to doing more feedback and playthrough videos. I have been looking forward to your next release! I might do "There and Back Again" again. (And again, there I go again saying again twice again)

Here's my UV playthrough. In an unrecorded blind playthrough I found 4 secrets, didn't feel like hunting for the rest, so I deliberately made this 0% secrets for extra challenge.

Not too hard. I have to admit that a couple of recorded attempts were ended by unexpected cyberdemon rockets. The BFG at the exit seems unnecessary, but I figure it could make UV-Max speedrunning interesting.

I also tried HMP and it is a little easier overall since there is no cyberdemon, but the ammo balance is a bit more tight and tougher monsters appear at the start to compensate the appearance of bigger weapons sooner. HNTR gave me more trouble than HMP; the start is the hardest of any setting because of all the archviles. I also had one death to the ambush behind the red door. Overall it's harder than HMP, and perhaps just slightly easier than UV.

3 hours ago, Clippy said:

I would not request LMPS as I can never seem to play these

Probably because demo compatibility in GZDoom is an afterthought, especially if you've been trying to play vanilla demos in GZDoom, which it doesn't support.

Damn it! i couldnt beat it in UV!

ehehe.... i had to turn it down to itytd to beat it. anyway, this is definitely an original map that you made here, i like the concept of it, and i can definitely see the "No Mercy" thing in it. even on itytd it was tough!

i like this one, good job..

Good Times

Thanks so much for feedback everyone keep em coming, surprised I got so much feedback so fast! Let me try to reply to everyone

It seems the general consensus is this is not nearly as difficult as I thought it was

@Walter confetti My buddy Arqueto named this one, he is super into Cobra Kai and got me into it too - he then went to town on the artwork lol - I had no idea what to name this map or that it would be Cobra Kai themed until I showed him -  My goal was to make a small map because I really wanted to produce something.

@waciej Thanks, glad you liked the artwork, Arqueto loves to make these things for me :) Music is kicking? Oh I get it cause karate! It's the Cobra Kai theme song, I think it works surprisingly well in doom and especially with this map's theme

@Soulless Shut up LSA was actually a super lazy 3 hr speedmap which I feel is mostly unfair or too much RNG. It think this is vastly superior and I spend much more time on it than I should have. I'm a slow mapper. I been working on this for weeks can you believe it. You know I'm all about secrets and love hiding them, love working with compact spaces and using every square inch to map with. I thought I hid them very well and wonder how hard it was to find them and am curious what was the last one you got? That berserker secret turned out to be a nightmare to make, and I still don't know the best way to do it. I need the player to die if they fall in the lava and not trigger the secret, so it's tricky to design it so it works in this fashion. I am having a hard time identifying the misaligned textures, can you PM more deets? Now to watch your video: OK I see the misalligned texture - hopefully was only one - fixed! You did a great job buddy I think I been playing my own map wrong LOL ~~ PS did you find the krease room? (crazy angry guy on wall) non secret room

@Dunn & Dunn Interesting your avoidance of secrets. I of course tested these on no secrets as I always do, I wonder do you feel the secrets were too helpful? It seems others thought it was easier than advertised too, I guess I misjudged this one! I think the 3 archies and plama is my fave fight in this collection - I love that match bro haha -- Now to watch your video: Great stuff! Was not expecting you to demo all 3 settings for me. It does seem like you had the easiest time in UV and this portion was the most fun to watch. You handled it excellently and employed a good strategy at the start re caco vs hell knight  - good stuff and without the aide of any secret items.

@Deathclaw886 I was not expecting this to be my next map either. I have had another in the works and I shared pics in the "what are you working on" thread but it's stuck on the shelf cause I'm not sure if I can make it work the way I want to. I wanted to work on something else in the meantime and keep it small so here ya go lol

@Pseudonaut Nice! Thanks! Another who avoided secrets for more challenge - good stuff. That cyberdemon, eh? Did he shoot you from outside, I was hoping to get ppl with that. I thought that ledge fight turned out to be a nice way to use him and punish you if you leave him outside. BFG is just to speed things along yeah if you activated all 3 key things you deserve it. Thanks for reviewing the settings. I find a lot of fun in the 3 archies + barrels + plasma setting. These is some strategies to be had here, IE you can avoid waking all 3, use the barrels to damage them, hide behind the pillars holding weapons etc. Now to watch your video: Wow buddy, you're good - really good! No wonder you find it not so hard lol. You ran into a room of revs and barrels and revs and a rocket launcher and back out like nothing haha. The best was the way you chose to approach this map. So far everyone else & myself included grabbed all the keys first. Leaving the red key alone and not waking the cyberdemon to grab the megasphere and extra cells was a fantastic strategy. Good stuff! And that alliance you made with the archie when fighting the cybdermon - gold. The only close call was when some pinkies almost held you in place while the cyber shot at you, but what a fun video to watch thanks so much!

@Deathclaw886 Thanks for having a look, I did intend to design these hard and especially on UV but I aimed for an almost UV level of difficulty on all settings. Congrats on beating ITYTD ppl are saying that the triple archie start is the hardest part of all settings. Good times indeed

@Snark Thank you for the in depth reply, you've given me lots to think about :)

I had a lot of fun with this one.  I've only played UV so far, and while I'd agree with the consensus that it's not painfully hard, I still think it's an enjoyable mix of fun and tough.  The pacing and the progression feel pretty smooth, so I can definitely see how you worked a while on it.  I died a few times, mostly to cybderdemon rockets.  I was a bit sad to leave with only 6/7 secrets--I'm going to look the last one up, I think.

I had the same issue with the berserk secret as Soulless.  Other than that, I didn't notice any technical issues.  I never actually used the BFG--the cyberdemon was guarding it too well in my run, so I just killed it with plasma and the SSG.

You really packed a nice map into such a small area, especially considering (I think?) that there aren't any monster teleporters.  I'm impressed that you fit in seven secrets, too.

18 minutes ago, Salmon said:

I had a lot of fun with this one.  I've only played UV so far, and while I'd agree with the consensus that it's not painfully hard, I still think it's an enjoyable mix of fun and tough.  The pacing and the progression feel pretty smooth, so I can definitely see how you worked a while on it.  I died a few times, mostly to cybderdemon rockets.  I was a bit sad to leave with only 6/7 secrets--I'm going to look the last one up, I think.

I had the same issue with the berserk secret as Soulless.  Other than that, I didn't notice any technical issues.  I never actually used the BFG--the cyberdemon was guarding it too well in my run, so I just killed it with plasma and the SSG.

You really packed a nice map into such a small area, especially considering (I think?) that there aren't any monster teleporters.  I'm impressed that you fit in seven secrets, too.

Thanks for playing and I am glad you liked it. The BFG and steps with the cyberdemon outside shooting in I never experienced, I meant to put the BFG there as a clean up method at the end but didn't consider how hard it would be to try to grab with the cyberdemon alive. And as for compact maps, yeah I love to do that, I have this urge to fill in all the areas around sectors. I rarely use monster teleports, much prefer to hide them in the walls. 

Heads up to you and @Soulless I think I made the berserk raising cliff secret better as well as hid the activation switch a lil bit -file updated

Quintessential Clippy map right here. Tightly-packed, full of nasty but fun combat, secrets galore, fun music, the whole nine yards. Terrific map, my friend.

@Biodegradable thanks for the video as always and taking on my crazy maps - had a great time watching it

The tiny hole in the wall you shot at and then chainsawed the monsters: This was one my my last secrets, grabbing the red key lowers the wall to it, I never considered someone finding it pre red key, I will leave it as I like the bonus of getting to kill monsters before the red key releases them, making the secret more valuable actually

One time you saved and told me to shush but I wasn't talking lol - I save often too because it does get tedious to repeat things over and over and for the sake of first attempts because you never know what crazy mappers like me may throw at ya - 

Hair in your face: Have you also not got a haircut before the pandemic? Sometimes my cat steps on it when I'm sleeping and it hurts

Cybderdemon showdown: I designed the room to be tall enough for the cyberdemon to get in the room and block the exit, I never tested or seen it happen, glad to know it works. Maybe the best way to approach the cyberdemon weaving in and out behind the steps - good stuff - I still don't know all the possible things that can happen in this map

good times had fun watching and witnessing your reactions always entertaining :)

My good friend asked me and i did so. 

Did enjoyed this map, the fights are fair and square and its good for secret lovers. A good re-use of the map and for me textures were nice. I dont follow much of kobra kai but for those who does this might be cool for them. Had no problem with ammo and health and i would take off the BFG from the map. Did not used it and did not missed it. In terms of mapping i think the only think that could be adjusted is lighting in the main room. 

I do believe that @Clippy could join @BluePineapple72 threads of speedmapping...quality is there...think about it.

Fun times buddy ;)

@Austinado wow thanks so much for the video, when I talked about my map I just mentioned it cause it's new and wondered if you would have a look - did not expect a video  - awesome :)

Re lighting : yes I always neglect this aspect of mapping, I could have done much more with the main room especially considering I added light textrures

Cobrai kai references are a few custom textures and music, not missing anything to enjoy the game

I like when you found the 8x8 secret square in the wall the cyberdemon got ya as you were distracted peeking in lol

I did notice some texture misallignments in your video - fixed and replaced file time 13:13

I love to put candles on secrets too - also agree invisibility sux

13:40 that window placement worked perfectly! Cyberdemon rockets

19:07 - you found the secret switch behind the beige brick fakewall and didn't click it!! EDIT - you found it later. It raised a ledge with a berserk around the circular cliff

"The Beautiful One" is also my fave weapon. I will use it in more scenarios than I should and also forget about rocket launcher because of this

As for speedmapping, I am just too slow at using the editor and it takes me too long to map, this one might seem like a speedmap but I spent weeks on it. Maps that I have made in 8 hours I have never been happy with, always crude. Your castle map would take me a month to make if not longer. Still have fun playing ppl's maps when I can and don't think you have to return the favour but this vid was nice, thanks buddy :)

Also you mentioned some kind of new tech based project and me joining you with a map. I never tried to make a map with someone before and as I mentioned, I'm slow and only know basic doom 2 mapping format but let's chat about it some more when the time comes and I'll see what I can do :)

Good beautiful times