Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

How do you run the Doom 2 Master Levels?

I have the master levels for Doom 2, but I have no idea how you're supposed to run them because it all seems to be an entire list of WADs vs a single WAD.

That's literally what master levels was, just a collection of single levels. They come packaged with a launcher to run them. What platform do you own them on?

3 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

That's literally what master levels was, just a collection of single levels. What platform do you own them on?

On Steam. And I'm using DoomLauncher and GZDoom (GZDoom specifically for anything Doom). 

Edit: Though I'm not quite sure if I should add them to the IWADs list or the Local files list.

6 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

On Steam. And I'm using DoomLauncher and GZDoom (GZDoom specifically for anything Doom). 

GZDoom doesn't have a launcher for them, you can just load them as any other WAD but you'd have to know what maps they replace to warp to them. As you have it and by extension Doom2 on Steam, just run Doom2 on Steam and you get a proper launcher for them with none of the guess work, just go to New Game and you'll see the Master Levels as an option:

53dcbd3d1b.png

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

GZDoom doesn't have a launcher for them, you'd have to know what maps they replace to warp to them. As you have it and by extension Doom2 on Steam, just run Doom2 on Steam and you get a proper launcher for them with none of the guess work, just go to New Game and you'll see the Master Levels as an option:53dcbd3d1b.png

image.png

So basically run them via the DOSBox exe that comes with the master levels?

No, you don't need to touch Dosbox at all, it's provided in the new port. Just run Doom2 on Steam and you'll have the option for Master Levels in there.

Just now, Edward850 said:

No, you don't need to touch Dosbox at all. Just run Doom2 on Steam and you'll have the option for Master Levels in there.

Oh yeah, since they updated Doom 2 to the Unity wrapper, right?

2 minutes ago, YeOldeFellerNoob said:

Thank god it wasn't like the "Sprites in DOOM 3" thread.

Same, I read part of that thread and it didn't seem too great.

It has instructions. It requires a little work on the part of the user. Basically you take every WAD and put them in the maps folder except TEETH.wad. It contains two maps in one WAD, so you have to use SLADE to split them. Once you do all the steps, you can load only 1 file and play all the maps without needing to quit.

11 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Edit: Though I'm not quite sure if I should add them to the IWADs list or the Local files list.

For Doom Launcher, you click Add Files and then manually add all 20 wads from the Master Levels folder from the Steam installation, and you can play them from there. Doom Launcher will require you to add the various map names yourself though, like everything else added to it.

image.png.31090fcaabbe35cb4c2c99ac76e92345.png

Once they are all set up, you pay attention to what map it shows here in this box; checing the box will warp you directly to the level otherwise you'll have to IDCLEV to it, if its not a Map01 replacement

image.png.409192c4760a4cfa4d91fa4f54b2b0f9.png