Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom Zero - launch (and celebrating 25 years of Doom II)

12 hours ago, Rytrik said:

You certainly embody their spirit :) 

Fantastic WAD. I'm at Map 9, and this is a phenomenal journey!

By the way, I'd found a bug. It's in the spoiler

Hide contents

In Map 8, in the pillared room just before the exit: when you open the 'side area' and you see the left switch.. if you don't press it and instead press the invisible right switch (since switches have infinite height), it makes a continuous 'opening sound' but nothing actually happens. You also are, then, unable to press the left switch. So the panel to that northwest room doesn't open. It somewhat softlocks the game. 

Thanks Rytrik, I appreciate it. However, I'm unable to recreate this bug in DOOM2.exe, Chocolate Doom or ZDoom. Very strange. 🤔 

6 hours ago, DASI-I said:

Thanks Rytrik, I appreciate it. However, I'm unable to recreate this bug in DOOM2.exe, Chocolate Doom or ZDoom. Very strange. 🤔 

I'm using Crispy Doom. Could've been a 1-off thing. I'll test it again.

Edited by Rytrik

Okay, I wanted to get a quick look at this, spoiler-free, and jumped right into it. (I didn't watch the trailer for this exact reason)

I played up to Map03. I would have played more but I HAD to get back to this, before I could forget.
This is absolutely incredible. With no exaggeration or hyperbole, what I have played so far, is the most tight, fluent, competent, and overall highly-polished classic DOOM map design and gameplay I've experienced in the recent past. I cannot commend you enough for how well this is put together. Absolutely stellar work.

I have posted before but I might as well reiterate having played through the WAD twice, this really is such a solid campaign, and it does what I think the aim was really well. I prefer Doom gameplay to be classic, to be like the original games. This WAD does that but offers a lot of new puzzles and movement challenges and levels with multiple routes to follow to complete them, and some really cool environments. I didn't love every level visually but I really liked most of them. I also think it's got one of the better final boss/icon of sin variants. I actually beat it fairly instead of cheat past it. 

In terms of custom WADs, the top 3 I've played are this, DTWID and D2TWID. And though I do like Plutonia, those are the WADs to me that feel most like real expansions for Doom 1 and 2. 

7 hours ago, DASI-I said:

Hi Dasi. I was able to reproduce the bug. I'm not sure if it's an issue with my computer or with Crispy. 
Other than that, everything works perfectly well.

6 hours ago, Rytrik said:

Hi Dasi. I was able to reproduce the bug. I'm not sure if it's an issue with my computer or with Crispy. 
Other than that, everything works perfectly well.

Spoiler

After pressing the (hidden) right switch, the floor will rise but will not be able to go up all the way because you're in the way. If you step off, it'll finish rising and you can lower it again by "using" the wall, same as before.

13 minutes ago, Shepardus said:
  Hide contents

After pressing the (hidden) right switch, the floor will rise but will not be able to go up all the way because you're in the way. If you step off, it'll finish rising and you can lower it again by "using" the wall, same as before.

Thank you! That totally worked. 

Spoiler

@DASI-I - Can it be changed so that the switches have to be activated in order before the right switch will even be usable? It might not be worth the dev time to do so, though, as it seems like a pretty minor thing.

Hide contents

@DASI-I - Can it be changed so that the switches have to be activated in order before the right switch will even be usable? It might not be worth the dev time to do so, though, as it seems like a pretty minor thing.

Yeah, there's really nothing I can do about that given just how the engine handles switches even when they're not visible, as I'm sure you already know.

New version of Doom Zero out now! Many of the fixes in this game came as result of the feedback I got from let's plays and twitch streams. You guys have greatly contributed to helping me improve the levels design, plus, I've added a few more changes to the presentation itself.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-zero/downloads

Some of the changes:

-Added a new room in maps 01 and 32.
-Changed the door mechanism in map02 for more consistency.
-Modified the lava puzzle in map05.
-Inescapable pit removed in final room of map08.
-made platforms slightly easier to leap from and to in map09.
-moved berserk pack to before the final room in map10.
-Replaced many of the Revenants with Hell Knights and added more rocket pickups in map14.
-widened demon witch doors and added text on floor to help with platforming in Map21.
-made skull switch a little more visible in the raise bridge room in map22.
-tweaked the secrets in maps 23, 25 and 30.
-Added more detail to map24.
-Fixed hall of mirrors glitch in final room of map28
-Overhauled the player's weapons animation, and certain monster attacks.
-Synced up the explosion sound to the animation of the death explosion of the Spider Mastermind.

Edited by DASI-I

7 hours ago, hawkwind said:

map24 ...

Flip linedefs 1822 and 1823 so the desired effect will work.

Tested it in ZDoom, GZDOOM, Choc.Doom, and DOS and it seems to do exactly what I want it to do. Have the lights on the floor move in the opposite direction after shooting, that's all it's supposed to do.

Hi! Is there a way to disable smooth weapons? It'd be great if it were optional. Thank you!!

3 minutes ago, Demion said:

Hi! Is there a way to disable smooth weapons? It'd be great if it were optional. Thank you!!

there is no smooth weapons on this mapset, the sprite animation duration is just tweaked to look slighty different.

And no, you can't disable it, they are part of the dehacked patch that also make possible the new enemies.

And so, that why this mapset is not compatible with gameplay mods as they break the dehacked patch.

11 hours ago, DASI-I said:

Tested it in ZDoom, GZDOOM, Choc.Doom, and DOS and it seems to do exactly what I want it to do. Have the lights on the floor move in the opposite direction after shooting, that's all it's supposed to do.

You are right. Sorry 'bout that.

Edited by hawkwind

What is Red Pass Games, as shown in the bottom right corner of the game poster? I can't find any info about that company.
UPD: so concerns Iruka. Google tells about some Naruto character whose name is Iruka =)

2 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

What is Red Pass Games, as shown in the bottom right corner of the game poster? I can't find any info about that company.
UPD: so concerns Iruka. Google tells about some Naruto character whose name is Iruka =)

RedPass Games is my really old (defunct) mod label that I created when I was a teen. I used it for mods I made but I only included it in 1 poster of Doom Zero so that fans of my previous mods will know it's from the same creator. I don't really use it anymore since the creation of Iruka Software, a company I co-founded. Check out our website irukasoftware.com to see what the heck I'm talking about. I'm probably just gonna remove the RedPass Games title in the future.

9 hours ago, hawkwind said:

You are right. Sorry 'bout that.

No need to apologize. I like getting feedback of potential bugs that I may not be aware of. ^_^

14 hours ago, Demion said:

If this was quake 3 or doom 3, I absolutely would've placed these animation changes in a separate PK3 or PK4 file but unfortunately a DEH file cannot coexist with another DEH file. And yes, I know that some source ports support PK3 files but those aren't compatible with vanilla Doom. But if you don't like them then you can just use the 1.9 version of the DEH file and run that with the 2.0 version of the WAD. But you may need to place the DEH file inside the wad and rename it to dehacked while deleting the other dehacked lump if you're planning on using it with an advanced source port like GZDoom. It's more work than most would want to do. I could include a whole bunch of different files in the ZIP file but that would confuse people and be very inefficient, so instead I will explain what the changes actually are.

(This next part is just something I wanted to say to all)

Like P41R47 said, these are not new frames of animation. They are all original, some of these frames didn't even make it into the final game. The pistol is the biggest example of this and so I just picked the frames I think looks best. It's subjective but I really do think it's way better than the default. All the other weapons were changed to seem smoother or to match the sound effects better, like the chaingun and plasma rifle actually now animate to the rhythm of the firing rate.

It's all totally within the confines of vanilla Doom, but I do get why the weapons were done the way they were done. Slow PCs like a 486DX33 or 486SX25 would drop frames, and so the animations were slowed down so that you could see all the frames even at these slow speeds. But that's not an issue anymore, and I just wondered what they would look like if this original restriction didn't exist. Is it how id would've done it? Probably not, They're not me and I'm not them. But I like exploring these things, and I know that some people won't like them, and their objections are just as valid as my reasonings. As an example, some people just don't like the new sound effects and I totally get why. I just personally think the new sound effects just makes more sense.

(wow, this is getting long :P)

But I'm happy with the feedback I get. That feedback has caused me to go back to Doom Zero to make changes and fix things that I didn't know about until someone told me about it. I know I may seem a bit stubborn at times, but I really do consider everything that people share with me before making a decision weather to implement these suggestions or not.

Thanks for your patience with me. ^_^

There is a frame ( frames ? ) missing in the reload of the double barrelled shotgun. it disappears momentarily.

Not an issue with version 1.8.

1 hour ago, hawkwind said:

There is a frame ( frames ? ) missing in the reload of the double barrelled shotgun. it disappears momentarily.

Not an issue with version 1.8.

DASI-I is changin a lot of the original source material to acomodate them to his liking, so don't expect the same as in the original Doom 2.

One of those changes is tweaked animations for most of the weapons.

There are new tweaked animations on v2.0 for the SSG and the Chaingun that are different than the original.

It not dissappeard, its just that there is no frame in that moment to simulate that Doomguy lowered the shotgun to open the back and put the shells.

Thats what i understand of it, at least.

I just tested it on Vanilla and chocolate and it has the same new animation.

What source port are you using?

Edited by P41R47

2 hours ago, P41R47 said:

What source port are you using?

Risen3D. It seems to do the lowering action faster than it should. Looks ok in DOS.

I'm going to hazard a guess and state it might have something to do with this in the dehacked lump ...

Frame 38
Sprite number = 51
Sprite subnumber = 12
Duration = 8
Unknown 1 = 1
Unknown 2 = 32

...which is blank.

Edited by hawkwind

I finished playing through last night (NB - the pre 2.0 release). 12 hours of good solid Doom in total for me.

I liked the variety of things you tried throughout; it's not easy after 25 years to carve more out of the gameplay side of vanilla Doom but you managed it with some nifty movement-based work for progression and secrets, and also with the concept of not waking monsters. Map06 got my attention, and I really liked maps 11 and 13 too. The secrets throughout were great - I got most of them because I'm a seasoned player but some I had to go looking for, and a few I couldn't get this time around - perfect: as it should be.

I thought the finish and looks of the maps improved into the second half of the set, and there are some really great maps there, starting with 16 which I think is sort of a complete Doom map - a progression through hazardous acid areas, plenty of monster challenge but also some risk and reward, and a novel barrel trap to escape from (took me a good few minutes even with saves!). I felt achievement completing maps like this, marking my secrets caches and trying to hold out to take the bonuses forward to the next levels.

The use of crush to exits probably divides opinion, but I applaud your use of it. What it can do, used appropriately, is bring a new dynamic to a map within a megawad. I enjoyed Map27 in and of itself, but starting it with 1 health gave the design and choices so much more impetus. Trepidation is a key part of any scary FPS.

Map28 was probably my favourite. I thought your industrial design cues flowed on from 16 et al and really flourished here. An innovative layout with a great start, rich middle and challenging conclusion. Could I grab the invuln and make it last all the way to the megasphere taking out the monsters? Just about - very satisfying! I ran the last part until I got the infighting done to my satisfaction.

Anything I didn't like? Not much. I wasn't crazy about the secret levels - without giving spoilers away I like the concept with 32, but I felt it needed a little more - my personal opinion is getting to 32 needs to be difficult and rewarding in equal measure. And again, I like the concept with map30 and welcome the change, but I'd still like to see some kinda grand finale - a bigger monster count during the final escape maybe.

Overall though the map set grew on me as I played through and I think it's a great piece of individual work, and quite esoteric both stylistically and in gameplay mechanics. It's Doom for Doomers - a welcome addition to the pantheon of work of the mapping community.

Someone on this thread might've already made the question, but will Doom Zero ever possibly receive a final release on idgames?

4 minutes ago, El Franko said:

Someone on this thread might've already made the question, but will Doom Zero ever possibly receive a final release on idgames?

DASI-I said that, if everything goes well with the final bug testing of v2.0, that would be the Idgames release.

17 hours ago, P41R47 said:

DASI-I said that, if everything goes well with the final bug testing of v2.0, that would be the Idgames release.

Thanks!

Hey, @DASI-I in map18, its the secret behind the teleport location after the yellow door one time only?

Because i'm touching the wall and it didn't open at all :/

I'm using the v2.0 to test on chocolate doom.

EDIT: my bad, i was touching the wrong wall to activate it, sorry!

51 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Can I ask why you decided to make the chaingun shoot once instead of twice?

sniper chain rifle :D

Hey @DASI-I can you use the HD Music Pack (with the proper changes made to the song rooster) for the official Add-on?
Some tunes really sound great on that pack :D

Edited by P41R47