Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Triloguy

what is the best doom wad according to you

2 hours ago, Mr. LBN said:

Have people forgotten about Kama Sutra?

Normally when I creep threads like this I often barely see anyone mention Ksutra.wad.  I wouldn't say it's the best pWAD, nor have I ever officially completed it (I've actually never officially UV-Maxed any iWAD or pWAD in it's entirety or even run through an entire WAD), but back in 2010 or so I thought this was a perfect blend between Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta especially since it's fully Vanilla.

Not forgotten, people is just shy to scream it to the winds...

Its everyone guilty pleasure!

There is not enough mapsets that fall on the hole of being serious jokes.

And Kama Sutra did everything right to cement that style as no other.

For me, only Going Down comes near to it, being another of the few serious joke wads out there.

I love Kama Sutra so much that i wrote proper dehacked story for it, collected tons of Hindu songs midis and making and alternate soundtrack for it, made a new Status Bar, and play it almost every now and then. I even planned to make a full texture replacement to simulate Hindu style textures but without loosing the original appeareance of the maps.

Its the nearest we will have to a proper Hell Revealed 3, but it goes far beyond it even, as some maps are outright atmospheric, adventurous and moody. Map29: i'm Just a Doom Addict is the perfect blend of adventure and challenge. And even if the progression through all the mapsets feels disjointed and kinda messy, the thematic offering is like no other.

Aside from those above mentioned, and as a lover of narrative driven mapset, i think Hell 2 Pay is damn perfect. I replayed it far more than anything, even more than my beloved TNT: Evilution.

Revolution! and Perdition's Gate come near to it, too.

Fragport and Doom 2 Reloaded are some i really love, too.

But last year Three is a Crowd is what i always craved for, the mapset i always dreamed of, and Scypek2 made my dream come true.

Now i'm on the search for something beyond all of them.

Off-topic but I see alot of Memento Mori II - is the first one also worth it or should one go directly for the second one if somebody hasn't played either one yet?

4 minutes ago, Marvv7 said:

Off-topic but I see alot of Memento More II - is the first one also worth it or should one go directly for the second one if one hasn't played either one yet?

If you're going to play Memento Mori you really should start with the first one. I guess it's divisive these days (baffles me, when I first played it in 2001 it was seemingly universally acclaimed). I love it and there's a good chance you will too, if you don't mind the occasional bit of cryptic progression.

@Marvv7you should keep in mind, sometimes you won't figure out what some switches do. Don't bother with them. MM1 was mainly developed for coop and this kind of things were meant to be done with multiple players involved. For the same reason it is tricky to 100% map31.

On 1/19/2021 at 5:30 PM, Marvv7 said:

Off-topic but I see alot of Memento Mori II - is the first one also worth it or should one go directly for the second one if somebody hasn't played either one yet?

Perhaps play the first, if it doesn't sit well after 5 maps you should definitely try the second. 

They both have their charms yet they're different enough that you may like one and not the other.

Both are damn solid imo

Edit: Definitely play them with their respective music, it's half the charm for both of them.

Edited by STILES

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I guess it's divisive these days (baffles me, when I first played it in 2001 it was seemingly universally acclaimed).

In 2001 there was what, 7/8 years of mapsets.

The best mapset to that day were, and still are, much in line with the old designing school, being Eternal Doom the most ambitious, followed by Equinox.

Eternal Doom being puzzle oriented, and Equinox big and detailed but kinda linear.

Both mapsets share a common designing theme of experience over gameplay.

It was thanks to SlayeR, The Darkening Ep. 2 and Revolution! that the bar went higher on trying to blend the visual awe inspiring aesthetic with sheer awesome gameplay.

Memento Mori I, between those mapset feels right at home and a good contender aesthetic and gameplay wise, still.

Its understandable that it was universally acclaimed on those days, between those mapsets, i think.

But then come the fin de sicle mapset that set bar even higher: Alien Vendetta, 2002: A Doom Odyssey, Scythe/Scythe 2.

Those mapset shaped the 20 years later of mapping from 2001 onward, leading to heavy weights like EPIC 2, BTSX, Valiant, REKKR. Compared to those, its understandable that Memento Mori I co-op oriented gameplay feels wonky and kinda unappealing for modern players.

I still find it the most Doom 2 wad ever made. Really in line with Sandy's abstract galore.

But even compared to Memento Mori II, it feels hell of different. Not bad, just different.

And also is interesting to note, that a lot of modern players jump stright to play PWADs mapsets without ever completing the IWADs mapsets.

So they are not used to the abstract design of the old days.

They are way more used to the mix of abstract and semi realistic of these days.

Thats why even a great mapset like Three is a Crowd, with a really oldschool abstract design on the first episode, throw people off from it.

A shame, because if they persist, they could start to appreciate different things.

:/

Well my list is pretty big these are mostly the underrated stuff but I do like the other mappacks but I can't. mention them all so here is a bunch of mods I love

Hell After Dreams v3.5

Hell After Dreams 2

Swan fox 

Swan fox 2

Resurrection of doom 2

Armageddon 2 Invasion

Futur war Invasion

Chaos from hell invasion

Hell legacy v140

Strain

Neodoom

Aiwwac 2

Demon eclipse

Acton doom

Action doom 2

Boss battles v17 an v35st

Beyond reality

Corrupt world

Tkhq

Doom barracks zone

Destination89

Temple of the lizardmen wads

Evilstar

Fsrhq wads

Flesh season

GoldenEye TC

Golden souls

Serious Sam the retro encounter

Serious Sam the ultimate encounter

Serious Sam the simple encounter

Hga2

Jua45

Hotline uac

Invasion unleashed and los

Mass mouth 2

Nightmare maze wads

Order kill all beta

Prodoomer

Rainbow factory

Rampage

Save the earth

Science Hazard

Super skulltag

Dead silence 1

The hotel

The hotel lost contact

Touhou doom

Tribute

Unloved 

Unloved 2

Vgpinvasion

Violent senruobso

Winters fury

Zendyn x

In claws of mishgtun

Zblood

Zbloody hell

Doom space

Revenge of the 90s

Roudy Rudy

Roudy Rudy 2

Doomed space

Zero Invasion 

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

If you're going to play Memento Mori you really should start with the first one. I guess it's divisive these days (baffles me, when I first played it in 2001 it was seemingly universally acclaimed).

Maybe it is because the standard of good quality wads has risen quite significantly since 2001. Unless one is interested in Doom's history, I recommend to play more modern post-2010 wads (like BTSX, Eviternity, Valiant, Sunlust, Ancient Aliens, Paradise etc.) as they have more polished layouts, visuals and combat on average compared to the older wads.

Edited by ReaperAA

23 hours ago, Triloguy said:

Hello,
I have a question.
What do you think is the best doom wad ever made?
It can be 1 level but also a whole megawad.
It may not be a level of the original game.

From Triloguy

I recently played D4V,it's amazing how the monsters have such complex mechanics,but still is Vanilla

If I was asked what wads can I play again and again, I would say these:

2002 Doom Odyssey (not 10th anniversary version)

Akeldama

Zone 300

Pirate Doom

1 Monster

Gotta go with Reelism Gold, tons of replayability, funny without being overbearing, and loads of good music.

It's great fun for any kind of Doom player, with multiplayer to boot!

1 hour ago, SilverMiner said:

2002 Doom Odyssey (not 10th anniversary version)

is there a difference aside from correcting the secret maps exits on the mapinfo?

I think that also some maps were moved around, but, gameplay wise, it makes much difference?

Seriously asking this, cos i read this same sentence on another thread and i don't find much difference between both versions.

I remember playing the original version from start to finish, backthen, but when the 10th anniversary edition come out i change to that.

Didn't found much difference beside the already mentioned above.

27 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

is there a difference aside from correcting the secret maps exits on the mapinfo?

I think that also some maps were moved around, but, gameplay wise, it makes much difference?

Seriously asking this, cos i read this same sentence on another thread and i don't find much difference between both versions.

I remember playing the original version from start to finish, backthen, but when the 10th anniversary edition come out i change to that.

Aside from the two new levels, from what I could tell there's not much difference gameplay wise (I think E3M6 has a couple of radsuits now?). The levels look prettier in the new version though, other than E4M8 which I think was unchanged.

58 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

I don't like the new music in 10th that's all the reason

3 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

I don't like the new music in 10th that's all the reason

Seems like i never played it without the music, even the old version, as the old version i have has the music.

Probably i downloaded it from somewhere fishy.

Strange as i remember playing it around 2008.

:/

You can play the newer version with the original UD music, just a little copy wadding in slade and thats it.

I like PCorf music on 2002: ADO, maybe not as atmospheric as the original by Bobby Prince, but it give the mapset a really adventurous feel.

Edited by P41R47

No Rest For The Living

Impressive level design, amazing visual, and its vanilla only, including the textures.

Its has really good fights and is a better e3 than e3... like... far better.

Among the best Vanilla Hell maps there are the hell map from No Rest For The Living...

Some level were made with one texture or two in mind, and they look sooo cool (thinking about the pain labs)

Also the boss fight is really nice gimmick of fighting a cyberdemon in maze that you can unmaze... trying to guess were he is with the sound... really great.

A real demonstration of the fact that a wad doesn't have to be challenging at all to bo enjoyable.

*Pathogen 

*UAC Ultra

*1st level of Sunlust. I play just this level over and over. I love the map, the atmosphere, and the music of this level. So good.