Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_SloVinator

Share your past wholesome moments with fellow Doomers

I fixed my niece's motorbike.

Speedo cable had been badly fitted and didn't work. An hour with pliers, socket set and greasy hands and sorted. 

Lovely.

I am currently helping @The BMFG with the hunt for soda. and i am open for any other requests.

i am also helping out @Lol 6 with his english. [because hes mexican] and he admitted his english wasnt so good. 

i like helping users out here. 

4 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

I am currently helping @The BMFG with the hunt for soda. and i am open for any other requests.

i am also helping out @Lol 6 with his english. [because hes mexican] and he admitted his english wasnt so good. 

i like helping users out here. 

wholesome 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999/10

1 hour ago, Deathclaw886 said:

In deed, my english sucks. At least is good enough so I can talk with all of you. But I'm still studying and practicing.

and yup, I'm from Mérida Yucatán, south east of Mexico. Nice place to live

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently I'm speedrunning some wads, because I like them

I'm also helping @Deathclaw886 with his forum (which is cool), and I just took my mom to the mini super (like the kwiki-mart). And I'll help a friend of mine to pass history and physics (that's how you write it? if not please tell me)

Edited by Lol 6

When I initially released my first major set (Bloodicide), it was an absolute mess of a .WAD file with all of the resources haphazardly thrown together (with a staggering amount of duplicate files that I hadn't even noticed). At the time, I was just learning how to compile resources using Slade, and I didn't have the foggiest idea what a pk3 was, or how to build one. It was a mish-mash of custom textures, sprites, enemies, sound effects, music, etc.

Out of nowhere one day, @Ozymandias81 popped into the thread with a fully organized and compiled pk3 of Bloodicide, which he had taken the time, effort and patience to put together from my dumpster fire of a WAD. He even went above and beyond by converting the majority of the sound files to .ogg, in an attempt to help reduce the bloated file size. It was extremely generous of him, and surprised the hell out of me. I still think about it to this day, and it just warms my heart! 

My wholesome moment is being a community member for 12 years and counting without the community chasing me out. The older members know it better, that when I joined I was a total pain in the ass for quite some time. But luckily the mods and Ling gave me enough chances that I was able to improve massively so I'd like to thank everyone for that. 

Also I have a Doom Wiki page! I'm flattered that someone considers me that important lol 

Really nice to see people help each other/improving & being awesome people in general. <3 Hope this continues.

Might as well share what happened to me lately.

I wasn't expecting @P41R47 to message me & provide me a really good HUD for my TNT replacement. :)

I thought nobody would do it. Really awesome of him!

Honestly, sorta similar to Freeze.

I joined around the time my sanity was going downhill real quick, which led to an increasing amount of depressed shitposts for a while which I am sure got on at least a few people's nerves, and started ignoring me afterwards.

But surviving that grim period and improving massively afterwards, and having some friends here that stayed with me despite how obnoxious I may have been at times, without getting hunted down, is a reward in itself. It's too bad that a good portion of my old posts are that way, but it will serve as a reminder of a period I've been finally able to leave behind - I'm never going to read these posts myself. Not proud of it, not regretting it either, all experiences teach you something.

Wont forget how I didnt have a clue about how to merge a texture pack in my map after some fatal tries, and @Clippy made a youtube vid just explaining how to, so sad youtube deleted it for some absurd reason. You rule buddy!

14 minutes ago, Soulless said:

Wont forget how I didnt have a clue about how to merge a texture pack in my map after some fatal tries, and @Clippy made a youtube vid just explaining how to, so sad youtube deleted it for some absurd reason. You rule buddy!

No prob and it's only because @BluePineapple72 showed me so I could show you 

Big props to you both for inspiring me to make Clippyworld and have all my maps in a megawad

I was messing around and talking shit to @Major Arlene in the hellforge discord when we came up with the idea to have a speedmapping battle. After a few weeks of having ridiculous fake beef on the hellforge and both our respective servers, Arlene and I duked it out live to create the better map. All the while, we encouraged folks to donate to either or of two charities to show their support for either contestant.

It was a super fun thing to do, great community moment too. It was wonderful to see a bunch of doom folks I knew in the chat. It would've been better were they rooting for me :P

11 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

I was messing around and talking shit to @Major Arlene in the hellforge discord when we came up with the idea to have a speedmapping battle. After a few weeks of having ridiculous fake beef on the hellforge and both our respective servers, Arlene and I duked it out live to create the better map. All the while, we encouraged folks to donate to either or of two charities to show their support for either contestant.

It was a super fun thing to do, great community moment too. It was wonderful to see a bunch of doom folks I knew in the chat. It would've been better were they rooting for me :P

It was so much fun to see all the confusion from the masses leading up to the event, and giggling about it in DMs like schoolgirls! We're definitely going to continue Wrestlemapia events and I see it really bringing the community together. Thanks for challenging me- it became one of the most fun things I ever did in 2020!

5 hours ago, Bauul said:

So thank you again for persevering with one of the most broken level experiences I've ever seen Arlene, and no, I will never let you forget this!

Somehow when I saw you mentioned me in this thread, I knew this story would come up :P Can't believe I hadn't thought to re-check my renderer when I was getting all those errors! But you never know what can happen in Doom! Thanks for sharing this story again because it always makes me smile.

Okay, my turn!

As all of you know, I write for the Cacowards, and this year was the first year I really had been pulling for quite a few friends to be recognized for their work. In the last 4 hours before the Cacowards dropped, it was like being at the top of a hill of a roller coaster just before the drop.
And the drop was exhilarating! Seeing all the winners reacting to the recognition is always such a beautiful thing and this year was no different. All my discord servers were blowing up, and in the Cacowards chat, we all just sorta looked at each other and breathed a sigh of relief. Job well done, team. This has been a hard year and to see the comments that the Cacowards were a much needed respite made me remember that I really do love this job. This community is still by and large the best community I've been in and I really am so grateful to be part of it.

QuakeCon 2019 was essentially "DoomCon" that year, so there was a lot more Old Guard Doom Community people at it and it was filled with nerdy get-togethers and parties and nostalgia about early community stories and experiences.

Hopefully we can do it again.

Oh man I got a good one; on a whim my brother and I found John Romero's email address and casually asked him "hey we have copies of Doom 1 and 2 still all sealed and nice and we we're wondering if you could sign them so we they'd look super cool when we put them on our display shelf" - replied back and said "no problem".
Sure enough he signed both boxes and the post that came with Doom 1.

I feel like that may be 'reaching' cause he's like the grand-daddy of Doom but, we we're just so shocked he said yes. My brother has them in a locked display at his house and everything, locked case for the poster too.

8 hours ago, SgtGhost Pepper said:

Oh man I got a good one; on a whim my brother and I found John Romero's email address and casually asked him "hey we have copies of Doom 1 and 2 still all sealed and nice and we we're wondering if you could sign them so we they'd look super cool when we put them on our display shelf" - replied back and said "no problem".
Sure enough he signed both boxes and the post that came with Doom 1.

I feel like that may be 'reaching' cause he's like the grand-daddy of Doom but, we we're just so shocked he said yes. My brother has them in a locked display at his house and everything, locked case for the poster too.

That's awesome! I don't suppose he woukd do it again? Haha

17 hours ago, Chezza said:

That's awesome! I don't suppose he woukd do it again? Haha

No idea my man! It was totally spur of the moment and we we're deadset on 'man this guy has to be super busy there's no way' but he did. Hell we even got Tim Schaffer to sign a copy of Monkey Island and Psychonauts as well, he even sent us both post cards. Nice guys overall in the industry.

umm.......Damn, now i feel left out.

i made a few maps, people played them, people kind of liked them. 

nothing special, really.

*Sigh* i wish i had an epic and or wholesome Community story to share, but hey, ive only been in the community for about a year so, only time will tell i guess.....