Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The BMFG

WTF Is This Half Life Texture

10 minutes ago, The BMFG said:

so i put half life textures into doom for my THFS wad and while looking for a good wall texture i found this     i need an explanation on what the hell this thing is 2009071055_TESTIFYTESTIFYTESTIFY.jpg.9fc6dc00c1dcba3bb48b67b0541b0ec8.jpg

I've never seen that before, but it does look outrageous and strange for sure.

I think it was someone who worked at Gearbox or something like that? I can't really remember the origin now, but I remember it being hidden in Blue Shift and Opposing Force.

I am guessing copious quantities of legally dubious substances were involved in the creation of this image.

this is one of Gearbox employees i'm pretty sure. the testure is used at several points in Opposing Force and Blue Shift as an easter egg

That's actually both somewhat hilarious but also outright terrifying at the same time since the fact this is in the fucking game files just feels so off to me. Like what the fuck? Why is that in there and what the hell happened? Was it an accident? But how can someone like this even get inside the game files? How? Well, that's a lot of question going in my mind, but yeah, there's probably nothing actually scary to it but stuff like that just makes the mind go real crazy.

5 minutes ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

That's actually both somewhat hilarious but also outright terrifying at the same time since the fact this is in the fucking game files just feels so off to me. Like what the fuck? Why is that in there and what the hell happened? Was it an accident? But how can someone like this even get inside the game files? How? Well, that's a lot of question going in my mind, but yeah, there's probably nothing actually scary to it but stuff like that just makes the mind go real crazy.

the worst part about this is that "thing" is demanding you to testify even though the only thing to testify is assaulting the viewers eyes

So I've been trying to figure out who this is. At first I thought it was a young Randy Pitchford because the nose seems to match, but the hair color is wrong. I'm at a dead end now because I don't know much about Gearbox and I can't find any background information about this particular easter egg.

15 minutes ago, Marn said:

So I've been trying to figure out who this is. At first I thought it was a young Randy Pitchford because the nose seems to match, but the hair color is wrong. I'm at a dead end now because I don't know much about Gearbox and I can't find any background information about this particular easter egg.

TESTIFY TESTIFY TESTIFY.jpgNArEtnM.png

My guess is it's a young Marc Laidlaw (the game's writer). 

3 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

TESTIFY TESTIFY TESTIFY.jpgNArEtnM.png

My guess is it's a young Marc Laidlaw (the game's writer). 

The image has some pretty visible curvy contours above the eyebrows, which Laidlaw (at least in that picture) doesn't.

It honestly doesn't look like a picture of an actual person, especially given 90s picture quality. That kinda looks like a 3D render if you ask me. Would explain the egg eyes (that @AtticTelephone was wondering about anyway). Although that doesn't discard the possibility that it is a 3D rendition of an existing employee. Most likely if you ask me -- at least compared to it just being a random generic person without identity, like a generic human model or something.

3 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

The image has some pretty visible curvy contours above the eyebrows, which Laidlaw (at least in that picture) doesn't.

I wouldn't be too quick to discount it on that alone since holding hollowed out shapes of plastic in your eyes and putting on a goofy smile would obviously stretch/exaggerate your features. I don't necessarily think that's absolute proof, but c'mon fam, you've never pulled faces in the mirror and exaggerated your own features? Your face can change shape just from smiling and such.

Yeah, but something about the image just screams 3D model to me. I mean, a picture of a face from the 90s can look pretty wild, but that image just looks like it was rasterized, with texture filtering and everything. Mind you that it's a still, so they definitely could use more advanced rendering, maybe even raytracing.

Also, the nose is pointed down, compared to that of Laidlaw in the picture. But that is probably perspective, and the hair's waviness seems to match. Marc Laidlaw does seem like the closest match so far.

The picture is a photograph of a real person without a doubt. My best guess is that he was holding golf balls in his eyesockets and then his eyebrows were photoshopped out (you can see some blending artifacts where the eyebrows would be)

Edited by Marn

1 minute ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Yeah, but something about the image just screams 3D model to me. I mean, a picture of a face from the 90s can look pretty wild, but that image just looks like it was rasterized, with texture filtering and everything.

It screams "photo" to me. Just look at the hair and color. Might be photoshopped.

1 minute ago, incel said:

It screams "photo" to me.

The skin doesn't look very photo-y. Might be just a cognitive bias, though - I haven't looked at a lot of downscaled pictures lately.

1 minute ago, Marn said:

holding golf balls in their eyesockets

I know, heck, I hate when that happens

1 hour ago, LindaIsHere said:

It's a picture of gearbox employee Rob Heironimus and the eggs over his eyes are plastic easter eggs.
https://combineoverwiki.net/wiki/Easter_eggs explination here, and the link to the source is in the citations on the page.

Pointing to combineoverwiki, man of culture I see.

But, yeah, that's all there is to this dubious easter egg, just a Gearbox employee. I actually ran into this years ago by accident when looking for hidden stuff in the games, but forgot about its existence completely, until now.

10 hours ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

100% it was just “lol here’s a hilarious picture of our coworker with an in-joke quote he said while wasted the other night, let’s retexture a room he’s working on with this photo so we all have a more interesting Wednesday morning” or something like that