Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

CL-DoomView - A Doom level viewer written in Lisp

The pink void is a nice touch. Was the color a conscious decision or did it just sort of happen? An odd question, I know, but I'm just curious. :P

1 minute ago, MFG38 said:

The pink void is a nice touch. Was the color a conscious decision or did it just sort of happen? An odd question, I know, but I'm just curious. :P

Conscious decision :-P  I wanted something eye-searingly obvious so that I could easily see gaps earlier on when I was figuring out how to render the surfaces.

1 minute ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Conscious decision :-P  I wanted something eye-searingly obvious so that I could easily see gaps earlier on when I was figuring out how to render the surfaces.

Right, makes sense.

Looks very nice! I guess it would extra-cool if the skies are rendered too, but no pressure, The viewer already appears to be doing a good job. About the pink void... it is quite interesting :p

1 minute ago, Zero the Red said:

I guess it would extra-cool if the skies are rendered too,

Ahh yeah, I forgot to mention I haven't implemented this yet.  I have an idea on how to do it, though.

4 hours ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

I have an idea on how to do it, though.

the easiest way is to simply collect all visible sky surfaces, render them in a separate pass with stencil increment, then set your view matrix as you need to, and render the skies masked by created stencil. you will also need to do something to make sky textures higher, to allow looking up/down. either create some more pixels by averaging and blurind away top/down edges, or create something like "sky sphere" (this is what Vavoom does, for example).

separate pass is needed to have proper depth masking.

of course, there are more ways to do that, but 2-pass rendering with stencils is the easiest one, i believe, because it will allow you to use any view matrix you want.