Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pyborg

What Monster(Or Thing) In Doom Gives You Bad Vibes?

MilkySparklingKatydid-small.gif

For me this is one of the scariest moments in Doom history. Seeing this creature run down the hallway at you with that giant mouth and horns and red eyes is scary as hell back in the day.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

The Master Mind Death scared me as a kid, seeing the brains all out like that was kinda gross.

For texture, the fleshys ones on Doom, it's messed up.

16 hours ago, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

Revenants: i don't like them, not even the memes can make me like them.

Also their scream is scary as heck

Doom 64 atmosphere made me abandon the game for a while because I legit got scared by it,the OST make it looks like there is a powerful demon stalking you and is really autophobic,after all you are alone fighting reality-corrupting,flesh eating otherwordly abominations,also the dark areas make me realise how fatal Doom demons realistically Doom demons would be irl,so yeah,in question of vibe,Doom 64 is the most realistic Doom game

5 minutes ago, OxalaiaQuilombensis said:

Also their scream is scary as heck

Doom 64 atmosphere made me abandon the game for a while because I legit got scared by it,the OST make it looks like there is a powerful demon stalking you and is really autophobic,after all you are alone fighting reality-corrupting,flesh eating otherwordly abominations,also the dark areas make me realise how fatal Doom demons realistically Doom demons would be irl,so yeah,in question of vibe,Doom 64 is the most realistic Doom game

That and baby crying in the music...Also in the PS1 version soundtrack...

So what you're saying is, Doom 64 did what Doom 3 tried to do, better than Doom 3. You know, be spoopy.

1 minute ago, Pyborg said:

So what you're saying is, Doom 64 did what Doom 3 tried to do, better than Doom 3. You know, be spoopy.

Doom 3 I will admit did succeed at the time for me, but I think Doom 64 aged better in terms of atmosphere if that makes any sense.  It just felt like 64 had a better composed vision when it came to the horror it tried to go for.

7 hours ago, Pyborg said:

tortured souls album cover.png

Love the parental advisory warning, that makes it for me.

BTW, who drew this?? Kevin Cloud or Adrian Carmack?

1 minute ago, Maximum Matt said:

Love the parental advisory warning, that makes it for me.

BTW, who drew this?? Kevin Cloud or Adrian Carmack?

I'm not sure. Might have to do some digging. Also, thanks lol.

a long time ago when i was first playing doom it was the ambient sound of pinkies/barons/cacos [you know, the bigger monster sound]

that always gave me a bad vibe. now it has to be the ambient sound of a revenant, those shill shrieks keep me up at night. [they would be a lot less scary i it werent for those homing missiles!]

On 1/25/2021 at 9:26 PM, Pyborg said:

Oh Christ! I can only imagine what would come of this if Doom 64 got a remake...

On 1/25/2021 at 9:33 PM, Boy said:

Yeah lmao, imagine if they went with this design for Doom Eternal.

Some days ago I actually noticed a post on newgrounds of a 3D model of the Doom 64 Pain Elemental re-done with a Doom Eternal-ish style, here's the linkimage.png.87f41a0b9f4ed7b9246bfdccff5f0fb6.png

On 1/24/2021 at 10:19 PM, Pyborg said:

For me personally, it's the status bar face down below. I know that the 10% and below shows Doomguy all beaten and you're soon to die. I would agree with that, but I know that I'm probably going to die soon. With this face, it sends a message. It tells me that there is something worse to come. You might die soon, but maybe not.

doomguy bad vibes face.png

This always gave me bad vibes mostly because I've always felt this health status face is somewhat bad designed.

I know where it's supposed to be looking at, but my brain isn't capable of processing that, I keep thinking that he is looking rightwards with some weird dark-black sclera and red pupils eyes, and I think it's due to the rest of the face. I feel as if the entire head is looking rightwards.

36 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

a long time ago when i was first playing doom it was the ambient sound of pinkies/barons/cacos [you know, the bigger monster sound]

that always gave me a bad vibe. now it has to be the ambient sound of a revenant, those shill shrieks keep me up at night. [they would be a lot less scary i it werent for those homing missiles!]

I have to agree. I get straight up startled by these sounds sometimes. 

When the game gets too quiet. No music, enemies or any of that. The silence is unnatural, for are we not fighting hell? 

When your revenant matey does the jazzy walk-dance and steps on a lego. Man, that must be really painful, no wonder they shriek so much when they're just walking around!

Wait, who the heck spread all those Legos around -- in every single Doom map ever? You bastard, you probably despise revenants, don't you, you inhuman-- er, inrevenant fool!

18 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

When your revenant matey does the jazzy walk-dance and steps on a lego. Man, that must be really painful, no wonder they shriek so much when they're just walking around!

Wait, who the heck spread all those Legos around -- in every single Doom map ever? You bastard, you probably despise revenants, don't you, you inhuman-- er, inrevenant fool!

lol

25 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

That boy’s got a doot inside him, and it gotta come out

I've said it plenty of times before, but John Romero's head unnerves me the most of any Doom asset. Maybe it's the fact that he looks too realistic compared to everything else, maybe it's the way he's tucked away behind a wall, I dunno. I can look at his pain sprite and the original magazine scan just fine, but his standard face sprite unsettles me to this day.

On 1/26/2021 at 2:21 AM, DevilMyEyes said:

I think it could be dope if a metal band put this texture as a album cover, it really fits well in my opinion.

i got a heart attack. send help

2 minutes ago, lokbustam257 said:

e2m4 ending. that's it. I think the other one is SKINFACE

Have to agree with the e2m4 ending. It looks very hellish, and somewhat terrifying. It kinda tells you that, you survived this chapter, but now it's time for the ultimate challenge.

And the SKINFACE texture. Nothing reminds me of hell quite like it. Also does it look better or worse with the baron faces?

SKINFACE with barons.png

Even as a kid I never found the imagery too scary. Some of the flesh textures are a bit uncomfortable, and unexpected Baron screams give me a start. I find Arachnotron(Arachnatron?) clanking a touch ominous as well. 

I don't want to sound like a complete idiot as I don't pay much attention to these things, but how come they don't do digitized sprite things in boomer shooters anymore? Like Batman Forever or Donkey Kong on SNES? Or the kingpin of that whole thing, 90's Mortal Kombat? With todays processors wouldn't you be able to pretty much make it so you're shooting into live FMV? Wouldn't it be a neat effect - even with the limitations of that art style? 

EDIT: I found a video of a "modern" fighting game that is using the graphic style I meant. Although the game seems to have been squashed and this video was found by someone using one of those "snapshots" of like, 2016 internet, know what I mean? 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SaPuMe-vaMREs_v9YX5kq4jHC253LzFo/view

I promise it's just a video of this terrible game, as far as I know. But I'd be curious to see a modern day indie studio use this art style in a real game.

Edited by Kute

1 hour ago, Kute said:

Even as a kid I never found the imagery too scary. Some of the flesh textures are a bit uncomfortable, and unexpected Baron screams give me a start. I find Arachnotron(Arachnatron?) clanking a touch ominous as well. 

I don't want to sound like a complete idiot as I don't pay much attention to these things, but how come they don't do digitized sprite things in boomer shooters anymore? Like Batman Forever or Donkey Kong on SNES? Or the kingpin of that whole thing, 90's Mortal Kombat? With todays processors wouldn't you be able to pretty much make it so you're shooting into live FMV? Wouldn't it be a neat effect - even with the limitations of that art style? 

EDIT: I found a video of a "modern" fighting game that is using the graphic style I meant. Although the game seems to have been squashed and this video was found by someone using one of those "snapshots" of like, 2016 internet, know what I mean? 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SaPuMe-vaMREs_v9YX5kq4jHC253LzFo/view

I promise it's just a video of this terrible game, as far as I know. But I'd be curious to see a modern day indie studio use this art style in a real game.

I agree. I get tense at some of the flesh textures as well(As metioned in an earlier post). And any unexpected loud noise is probably going to scare the crap out of me (I am a big scaredy cat lol). Also I'll check the game out. Not too into fighting games though.

6 hours ago, Pyborg said:

I agree. I get tense at some of the flesh textures as well(As metioned in an earlier post). And any unexpected loud noise is probably going to scare the crap out of me (I am a big scaredy cat lol). Also I'll check the game out. Not too into fighting games though.

Yea I could care less about them or it, I just thought it was interesting to see that old style used today. Throw enough frames into it and with todays hardware it might look pretty realistic in a cheesy recognizably fake way. I'm more surprised that noone has really done it once just for the novelty, as it used to be common - and everything vaguely viable gets a game at some point. Like how many rotoscoped games are there