Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

instant drop sector

Cool - that explains alot actually. I didn't understand why it worked in one sector but not another. Now I do.
Thanks

Ultimate DooMer said:

It is mentioned in the 3D bridge tutorials in the editing pages - that's where I learned how to do instant drops from.

Very useful tutorial, that.

I wonder if there are other applications for the sector instant-drop feature (other than for traps). If not, then it might not make sense to have a separate tutorial on just that.

I suppose if your new to editing you won't know that the 3D bridge uses them. They are handy for monster teleports and if you make them gun activated you can create some nice effects (like breakable scenery).

ReX said:

Very useful tutorial, that.

I wonder if there are other applications for the sector instant-drop feature (other than for traps). If not, then it might not make sense to have a separate tutorial on just that.

Yep - with the appropriate graphics you can do breakable lights and consoles using Floor: G1: up to lowest ceiling. You can also blow holes in walls and tunnel through walls with it as well. (but then I discovered ZDoom, so I did it that way instead...)

The instant rise used in the 3D bridge is also very useful for effects such as instantly appearing monsters and items. I'm sure there's many other uses too.

Szymanski, Ultimate DooMer, and magikal: Thanks for the excellent info. Like UD, I too have been editing for ZDooM for the last 3 years, and didn't bother with the tricks possible in DooM2.exe. The last few maps I done, however, have been for DooM2.exe with no source port required. These tricks will come in handy for similar maps I do in the future.

Btw, I used the 3D bridge trick in my Map32 for the NDCP, which I completed in December. I'm planning to use it again for my map in the Community Chest project.

Thanks again.

Vanilla Doom engine tricks are by no means obsolete now that we have ports like ZDoom or EDGE. I regulary use these tricks in my levels, often in conjunction with new stuff. Eg. Iikka's double-floor trick, transfer flat property triggers plus Eternity's bridge tags make flawless room-over-room effects that still work in multiplayer games (because they do no longer require moving parts or activation of triggers).

Mordeth said:

Eg. Iikka's double-floor trick, transfer flat property triggers plus Eternity's bridge tags make flawless room-over-room effects that still work in multiplayer games (because they do no longer require moving parts or activation of triggers).

Would you point me to an example wad? Also, I didn't know you could transfer sector properties (like flats) in vanilla DooM. (Or are you referring to Eternity? In which case it couldn't be used in vanilla DooM.)

Mordeth said:

Vanilla Doom engine tricks are by no means obsolete now that we have ports like ZDoom or EDGE. I regulary use these tricks in my levels, often in conjunction with new stuff. Eg. Iikka's double-floor trick, transfer flat property triggers plus Eternity's bridge tags make flawless room-over-room effects that still work in multiplayer games (because they do no longer require moving parts or activation of triggers).

ya - I wanna see this too. And, WILL it work with vanilla doom/doom2?

Brad_tilf said:

ya - I wanna see this too. And, WILL it work with vanilla doom/doom2?

er no, as he stated it uses the boom transfer flat effect and Eternity's bridge tags.

ReX said:
Would you point me to an example wad? Also, I didn't know you could transfer sector properties (like flats) in vanilla DooM. (Or are you referring to Eternity? In which case it couldn't be used in vanilla DooM.)

I submitted an example level for fenexam.wad, so you can look there. It has a vanilla Doom version, and a boom-compatible port version using flat transfer triggers (trigger 242). See also this thread.

Basically, Iikka's double-floor trick has linedefs referring to slightly-different dummy sectors creating a fake floor and/or fake ceiling, with instant raise/drop triggers to allow the player to pass.

With Boom's flat transfer trigger you can replace the fysical dummy sectors with a simple transferred flat. Great advantage of this trick is that you do not need player-activated triggers to make this work correctly, and it always looks good no matter player's position.

With ZDoom bridge things or Eternity's bridge tags you can also allow people to walk over this construct. Ergo: almost-perfect room-over-room, with just a few simple touches.

I say "almost perfect", because suspended middle textures and sprites do not clip correctly and will show up through the fake floor/ceilings IF the player is able to see them from his position. In other words: you'll need to have a big height/width ratio difference for the "upper" and "lower" room. And the normal rules for faked flat/ceiling applies... meaning POV-vulnerable sides need to be covered or you'll get HOM. On the other hand, it is possible to add lots of detail to both upper and lower room, such as crates, consoles or elevator shafts that run through both upper and lower room, etc. I've done so myself.

Thanks for the info.

I've used the fake floor-over-floor trick extensively in ZDooM, but I was trying to see how it might be done in vanilla DooM.

Mordeth said:

I regulary use these tricks in my levels, often in conjunction with new stuff....

OMG! like you've released anything in the last 6 years! =P