Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
IMJack

MSVC++ sucks

Well it does. It's a memory-hog; I can't have it and my mail program open at the same time without Windows breaking down. It's drive for "convenience" in keeping a project together for everything just slows you down when you're trying to do a simple assignment with a few files. The thing doesn't recognize ANSI namespace standards, which I need to use. And when VC crashes, it goes down hard.

So I need to find a better C++ compiler. Any idea how i get a recent version of Borland? Or d'you have any other suggestions?

I haven't had any problems with mine, which is version 6.0 on Windows 98. What version are you using?

Ichor said:

I haven't had any problems with mine, which is version 6.0 on Windows 98. What version are you using?

The same.

Make sure you patched VC... The last service pack was like 150MB or something:)

I don't see what the big deal about projects is. Just double-click the main file and hit compile, it'll make one for you. VC.NET, on the other hand, does not do this, which makes it unusable for me. I'm not sure if I ever got something compiled with it or not before I uninstalled it...

AFAIK, Borland has their compiler as a free download. You have to do some online registration jazz, but there's no money involved. I used to have a copy, but I deleted it since I never used it.

The compiler itself isn't the memory hog, it's the IDE. If you don't feel like hunting and downloading new compilers, edit all your source in notepad or something, and use the VC compiler from the command line.

Ew, Codewarrior.

We had to use that at school when we did Pascal (urgh) programming a couple of years ago and it really does suck.

Like GooberMan said, the problem isn't the compiler but the IDE. The compiler only runs when you compile the program. So if you're having trouble with the IDE (which seems strange, I have no such problems), edit the code with Notepad or something like Texturizer or TextPad if you want syntax highlighting, then operate the compile/link procedure manually. Cumbersome, but it works. And make sure to check the service packs first.

GooberMan said:

BASIC is better then I'm guessing...

Or better yet, Turbo Pascal ! God I hate having to sit through three hours of that shit each week, when I could be writing pixel shaders in Cg instead. School != education