Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

Hmm, so I was thinking...

Heh, a few days break from ZDoomGL always gets me thinking :)

How would some better image filtering go over? I'm thinking along the lines of stuff like the 2x Sai filters and whatnot (this would apply to all graphics in the game, since they all go through the same path for loading)...

It's just an idea I had, since those SNES emulators look way better when using those filters.

zsnes (and scummvm) has that weird filtering mode advmame2x ... which is probably the only one worth messing with imo, but it might be interesting to have all the various options to play with.

Arioch said:

zsnes (and scummvm) has that weird filtering mode advmame2x ... which is probably the only one worth messing with imo, but it might be interesting to have all the various options to play with.

Hmm, where can I find information (and images) about advmame2x. I searched on google but didn't find anything.
I like SNES9x' "Kreed's SuperEagle Filter", is that similar to what you mean?

cool idea timmie. I thought about that myself. what you mean is upscaling (2x) the textures when you load them, right?

as for the advmame2x source - it's part of the scummvm source: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scummvm/scummvm_0.3.0b-src.zip?download

I also thought about another thing. it might sound odd first, though. I'm not really familiar with opengl but is it possible to turn of texture antializing completely? what I mean is that the doom experience heavily depends on the somewhat comic-style world with it's clearness and all. so one would get all the features of gl (lights, full up/down view, md2, sick resolutions, etc) but without the washed textures? it might be that upscaling would resolve the washed textures - dunno. on the other hand I suppose it's not that hard to do IF gl allows textures to be drawn without any softing, rasterizing, etc.

what do you think?

guru said:

cool idea timmie. I thought about that myself. what you mean is upscaling (2x) the textures when you load them, right?

as for the advmame2x source - it's part of the scummvm source: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scummvm/scummvm_0.3.0b-src.zip?download

I also thought about another thing. it might sound odd first, though. I'm not really familiar with opengl but is it possible to turn of texture antializing completely? what I mean is that the doom experience heavily depends on the somewhat comic-style world with it's clearness and all. so one would get all the features of gl (lights, full up/down view, md2, sick resolutions, etc) but without the washed textures? it might be that upscaling would resolve the washed textures - dunno. on the other hand I suppose it's not that hard to do IF gl allows textures to be drawn without any softing, rasterizing, etc.

what do you think?

Already got that covered! Set gl_texture_mode to GL_NEAREST to turn off all texture filtering. It actually looks very similar to software rendering with it set like that :)

zdoomgl.txt should list the valid values for that cvar: GL_NEAREST, GL_LINEAR, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST and GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR (default). I keep forgeting to add GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST, though (no texture filtering, but use mipmapping).

very cool! timmie ;) the options for gl_texture_mode are pretty interesting.

one problem though. I did get it to work once but it doesn't work now anymore (the mode always looks like GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR) no matter what the cvar value is. I purged the textures and I restarted zdoomgl but no help. any ideas?