Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Doomworld Maximum Project 2021 - On IdGames!

Going to be taking plenty of time on this one, since we have all year.

Boom format, for sure. First experience with 32in24-15tex

wow.png

I'm in.

This will be my first map. I've been meaning to get into mapping for a while, and this seems like a great way to start.

Edited by jmac

Am really in a Hexen mood after the GOG release. Currently running through 3D Game Alchemy with Hexen (maybe this time I'll finish the pwad,) was going to try to make a Hexen map. But, if things go well, perchance I'll try a Hexen-style Doom II map for EE. Have to learn ACS somehow.

I re-purposed a map I had worked on off and on for some time.  It's called Haunted Asylum and it's been submitted to Obsidian.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210204_142653.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210204_142714.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210204_142816.png

2 hours ago, SiMpLeToNiUm said:

whole year? Damn, son. That's tempting. Deadline to join up by?

There isn't one! Feel free to toss your hat in the ring whenever you like. :)

How will the wad be organized? Will it be split into complevels like some DMPs in the past have? I saw you mentioned a hub but those only work in GZDoom iirc.

2 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

How will the wad be organized? Will it be split into complevels like some DMPs in the past have? I saw you mentioned a hub but those only work in GZDoom iirc.

It will indeed follow the same structure as the DMPs of yore: the hub maps are more for the convenience of people playing in ZDoom-adjacent source ports. In any other ports it'll be structured so the map procession climbs the source port ladder: vanilla first, then limit removing, then Boom and so on.

Hot damn that looks fantastic. That first screenshot looks like it's pulled out of Half-Life 2. How did you manage lighting like that? A giant spotlight?

1 hour ago, StalkerBlade said:

MU7pi0a.png

PqDi2r1.png

This will be my first time doing a community project...Double or nothing.

dang man, is this HL2??!!??

like holy fuck man, you got some nice talent!

21 hours ago, SiMpLeToNiUm said:

Hot damn that looks fantastic. That first screenshot looks like it's pulled out of Half-Life 2. How did you manage lighting like that? A giant spotlight?

Thanks, and yes, it is in fact a spot light; it's done by setting the outer angle to 90 and inner angle to 89, then pitching it upwards. You can see where I'm using lighting like this in my Doom Episode 1 Remaster.

20 hours ago, HEVSoldier_nova said:

dang man, is this HL2??!!??

like holy fuck man, you got some nice talent!

Lol, thank you. :^)

well if everyone else is making a map I might as well too.

One question though is the final map set going to be just 32 maps or will everyone's maps be included?

4 hours ago, Bloodbath Giraffe said:

One question though is the final map set going to be just 32 maps or will everyone's maps be included?

Everyone's maps will be included: any maps past the 32-map mark will be accessible in Zdoom-derived ports.

56 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Everyone's maps will be included: any maps past the 32-map mark will be accessible in Zdoom-derived ports.

Ohhh!

How willst thou choose the Maps out to put them into the holy Album of thirty and two?

It must be a horrible Fate for thy to make this Selection!

9 minutes ago, Azuris said:

Ohhh!

How willst thou choose the Maps out to put them into the holy Album of thirty and two?

First done, first serve.

2 hours ago, Azuris said:

Ohhh!

2 hours ago, Doom OG said:

First done, first serve.

If I had to make a guess on how Obsidian plans to sort the maps, the map order will be based on the format, followed by order of submission. So, all the vanilla maps (by submission date), then all the limit-removing maps, and so on. The maps that will only run in the ZDoom family will be the last group.

8 hours ago, Pegleg said:

If I had to make a guess on how Obsidian plans to sort the maps, the map order will be based on the format, followed by order of submission. So, all the vanilla maps (by submission date), then all the limit-removing maps, and so on. The maps that will only run in the ZDoom family will be the last group.

On the money. Considering only ZDoom can access maps beyond the MAP32 mark (unless Eternity can as well and I haven't been told, but I digress), having maps not built for it be confined to those slots means that people who want to play the maps in their intended source ports won't be able to.

10 hours ago, Obsidian said:

On the money. Considering only ZDoom can access maps beyond the MAP32 mark (unless Eternity can as well and I haven't been told, but I digress), having maps not built for it be confined to those slots means that people who want to play the maps in their intended source ports won't be able to.

PrBoom+ and its forks also support MAP33 and beyond by using the -warp parameter (obviously only works for levels in Doom format).

I'll be keeping an eye on this.  I may join but am currently undecided since I'm just about to finish up a personal mapping project.

Looks interesting though!  Very curious to see how this goes regardless of whether or not I join.