Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vic

Doom 32X Resurrection

Seems like an excellent idea. Would like to see it get fleshed up further on.

1 minute ago, Death Egg said:

Sega Mouse did, and XBAND released a keyboard that was specifically for their networking service.

Yes but are these or modern-day alternatives easily obtainable nowadays?

Just now, Vic said:

Yes but are these or modern-day alternatives easily obtainable nowadays?

Almost certainly not. :p Though I'd love to see them be made.

Hmmm. I feel like we might want to cooperate. I've been making Doom 32x: Delta, which is all about bringing the PC maps and textures back to the 32x. If you managed to improve the code then we could probably have made Doom 32x the Ultimate Console Doom port.

55 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

Hmmm. I feel like we might want to cooperate. I've been making Doom 32x: Delta, which is all about bringing the PC maps and textures back to the 32x. If you managed to improve the code then we could probably have made Doom 32x the Ultimate Console Doom port.

I feel like adding support for map numbers and being able to customize your level order will be key :P tl;dr MAPINFO for the 32x version.

53 minutes ago, Alter said:

I feel like adding support for map numbers and being able to customize your level order will be key :P tl;dr MAPINFO for the 32x version.

Actually, we ( @TheLesha and I) have already managed to customize the level order.

I've added support for DMAPINFO lump in my local branch but the test wad I made in SLADE wouldn't load. If you PM me your test files, I can flesh it out from there. The engine expects the lump to be in the following format:

map "lump1"
{
next = "lump2"
}
map "lump2"
{
next = "lump3"
}

All other keys are ignored.

Edited by Vic

OK, committed DMAPINFO with support for next, secretnext and sky options.

Got 32x: Delta levels to run today. But I'm having issues with level 11 and up: the switch does nothing and the game crashes after a few flips.

delta.png

Ok, I've setup Github actions to produce ROM on each git push, for instance: https://github.com/viciious/d32xr/actions/runs/504366697 Scroll to the bottom of the page to the "Artifacts" section and click the "32X ROM File" link.

The ROM file inside the archive contains no game data but you can patch in the original IWAD with the following command (Linux or cygwin/git bash on Windows):

dd if=doom32x.wad seek=6093 bs=16 conv=notrunc of=D32XR.bin

Edited by Vic

16 hours ago, Vic said:

The ROM file inside the archive contains no game data but you can patch in the original IWAD with the following command (Linux or cygwin/git bash on Windows):

There is a Windows port of dd, which i have used for making backups of all of my games released on floppies. http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

14 hours ago, Vic Vos said:

Speaking of Chilly Willy, I wonder whatever happened with his Doom 32X project.

I suppose it's halted indefinitely. We do communicate regularly btw.

A small video update. Been mostly concentrated on optimizing the engine for the past month. Hopefully we can ultimately reach the goal of stable 25 (PAL) or 30 (NTSC) FPS on real hardware.

Edited by Vic

Thanks for the kind comments! I've updated the original post to fix instructions on how to dump the .wad from the original ROM as it contained a typo in the starting address, doh!

More performance improvements! The second SH-2 is now almost as busy as the main one.

Wow that's really impressive! I think the 32x is even able to handle the original Doom source code fast enough, for example GBADoom (https://github.com/doomhack/GBADoom) uses it and also performs really well. I wish I had a 32x to test it and give some feedback :D.

I noticed the article; this is very anticipated.  I would like to see, at least, episode 3 and the boss monsters implemented.  After that and a few other neccessites, might we be able to add episode four?...

Has anyone run this on real hardware? To see if it works and how it really runs?

The video above by Vic is on real hardware. I have been meaning to test it out on my 32x but haven't had the time