Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Borealis

Does anyone play arcade mode?

I like getting high numbers on those stages but I feel like no one seems to ever talk about this gamemode for some reason

I kinda like arcade mode, but you barely get something new compared to normal DOOM aside from scores and badges, if it was a wave based mode it would be intresting imo

I just like getting high numbers and getting them cool red badges, but I feel like it's largely unpopular which sucks cuz it seems like it had a lot of potential

I became obsessed with it for a short time, trying to get the highest scores I could on each of the levels. Sure, it doesn't offer much in the way of new content, but I really enjoyed the intense nature of it -- trying to get the highest score I possibly could seemed a lot more intense than anything the campaign offered, in my experience. Haven't touched it in a while though. At times I considered making a thread here on DW, to get a bit of friendly competition going to see who could hold the highest scores on each map, but I never did. 

I only played Arcade Mode enough to get at least Bronze ratings on each map on Hurt Me Plenty. I'd say it gave me ~15-20 hours' worth of entertainment. I didn't care about making it to the top of the leaderboards, though - I rarely do with any game that has leaderboards.

I spent a lot of time getting those gold medals in it shortly after it was released, I still remember trying to stay as fast as possible to keep the score multiplier as high as I can and get as many headshots as I can, really puts your reflexes and map knowledge skills to the test. Great stuff.

Well when I tried it out it deleted my entire save file on Nightmare difficulty, which really annoyed me. And when I tried it again much later, same thing happened. So I stay away from Arcade mode because of that major bug.

I only just yesterday reinstalled DOOM and finally got around to the arcade mode. And I'm going to sound like a colossal wuss, but having no checkpoints in a level (aside from extra lives) definitely makes things a good chunk more difficult. Then again, I'm incredibly rusty, but after biting it a few times, I've gotten back up to practice and bagged a gold medal on the second level. I could only manage a bronze on the first level, though, since you barely have any power-ups that early on. That's going to take a bit of practice to build up.

I don't know if I'll get gold for all levels, but I'm just glad to be playing this game again!

It's only really fun on the levels with limited exploration. Nothing feels worse than watching that multiplier drop from no action. I would much rather it if it were an endless survival mode like those old Skulltag wave maps.

I recently got back into 2016, and it's fun, I feel I'm going to the Arcade to keep that energy going, maybe the classic maps?