Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scott231ca

In your opinion

I got a little question for all you DOOM fans out there! What kind of level do you like the BEST OF ALL?!

A. Monster filled basic level
B. Monster filled advanced level
C. Puzzled filled level with large amounts of monsters
D. Puzzled filled level with few monsters
E. Puzzles with no monsters
F. NOTHING BUT RUNNING
G. Other (Give Example)

This is sorta a type of poll. I'm doing this to see how I should design my next level.

Good, well paced battles against cunningly grouped "smaller" enemies.

I think a good battle against a bunch of shotgun guys, or imps, provided it is set up well, has a great feel to it. Far more so than a protracted 1 on 1 with one of the big guys. Sure, the battles against the bigger enemies are good, and are part of the pacing of a level too. IMO, however, it gets boring to stand there battering away at one of the big guys with a super shotgun, only to go round the corner and repeat the whole process. Thats not how to use the big enemies IMO.

scott231ca said:

This is sorta a type of poll. I'm doing this to see how I should design my next level.

You can post polls you know, if you posted in the Everything Else forum.

I like a lot of battle types - as long as they're tough, but not impossibly so.
(100mph battles with medium/large monsters - esp. revenants - is probably my favourite)

I made a map that applies to B C D E. it's called pho....

* Ebola was killed for mentioning his bloody level one time to many.

kristus said:

I made a map that applies to B C D E. it's called pho....

You can mention it as much as you like as it's one of my faves. I really like the manner in which you implemented the difficulty settings.
I like most styles as long as they're done well but my fave would be C.

Either A or C, I really dont like puzzles that much but I think finding keys is fun and the traps that are set when you pick them up. I think having many monsters is important if you want to have puzzles otherwise it gets really boring.

A.
D.
G. -Atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere.

BTW, yes, I'm in another hexen kick. :P

I like the space/tech levels, with LOTS of detail, well placed monsters (plus suprises), and a fast paced game play. And not alot of running around trying to find one f*cking switch, or puzzles that are way too long!!! I also think some new texture's and sounds always add to making a level better...
Music seem's to be a touchy subject around here... so i wont go there!

...adds a bunch of puzzles to nuts.wad and gives it to Lost Soul...

Have fun.

Lost Soul said:

Monster FILLED Puzzle-laden, extremely large. ;) Interesting architecture never hurts too ;)

Try this map, it fits that description exactly.

Enjay said:

Good, well paced battles against cunningly grouped "smaller" enemies.

Same here. Diving into a room and taking out a few well placed shotgunners while avoiding imp fireballs gives one a great sense of accomplishment. The large monsters are best for scare factor (i.e. a cyberdemon wandering around in a mazy enclosed space where you dont have enough ammo to kill him, so you have to constantly avoid him).
Also, I like levels where you have to backtrack alot, so I dont feel like I'm running in a straight line. I dislike large open areas filled with monsters.

medium sized levels with ~100 monsters are great, maximum one major puzzle.

I like large, well-detailed levels with plenty of action, but some spookiness on the side. 2002ADO's E4M6 comes to mind.

I really like a map with a large amount of big monsters that superficially almost seems impossible to defeat, a one where you have to suss out the correct or hidden tactic that eventually makes completion relatively easy.

There are 3 things I don't like:

1. Bad architecture: No matter how well it plays I delete those immediately. If it doesn't look good I won't have fun.
2. Excessive use of monsters: Unfortunately there are too many mappers out there who only have one way of raising the difficulty of a level - adding more monsters - and adding even more monsters (like Alien Vendetta). No, thank you! I really prefer maps which use the placement of monsters intelligently to create a challenge. But if I have to fight my way through 200 Imps, 40 Demons and 5 Cyberdemons - count me out! A good example of an otherwise excellent map that is ruined by the amount of bad guys is Map09 of Caverns of Darkness on UV. There are so many monsters in this level (way over 600!) that it is impossible for me to enjoy it.
3. Having to use the fist or chainsaw because there is not enough ammo in a level. Sorry, I don't like melee weapons!

Aside from that I like all styles of playing. I can enjoy purely action oriented levels as well as a good and challenging puzzle.

What would The Shores of Hell fall under? Because those were some of the best levels I've ever played.

I like the variation.

Nothing beats a 450 monster huge one hour job followed by a small, tight 50 monster cramped fight.

It's funny...I never take the time to play other's maps, I merely create them. The first one I've played outside the Doom64 TC in along time was Narcosis...but then I remembered it was meant for DM. But hey, it was fun to look at.