Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZedMarine610

Another newcomer's first Doom level.

Hey everyone, here's my first released Doom map. Figured that after years of playing other people's WADs and being a fan of Doom, that I would join the fun of making custom WADs as well. I have tested this in both GZDoom and vanilla (Chocolate Doom) and this uses mostly the standard Doom II texture set, albeit with some custom textures as well.

It's a one-level, techbase WAD for Doom II that replaces MAP01, with a fairly simple goal of getting from one elevator (where you start) to the other at the end.

Some info:

- Tried modelling the difficulty (especially in UV) after TNT Evilution, more specifically its first level System Control.

- It's mostly a techbase map reminiscent of Episode 1 of Doom, though a fair few of Doom II's textures have been used.

- It's more towards the medium range in terms of length: not too long, but not too short.

- Some custom textures are used; there's also a custom title screen. Felt it would be weird to just keep the original Doom II title screen when its first map is a completely new level. I also did this to practice doing custom title screens.

EDIT: Feedback and criticism is welcome. Can't believe I forgot to add this into my post, I thought I had it written at first when posting :/

Credit goes to the following:

Nick Baker (Realm667) - for the Useful Doom Edits texture pack from which I borrowed some computer display textures.
Kinsie - for creating the valuable MIDI resource "A Floppy Disk Full Of MIDI Files" from where I took one of the Descent MIDIs (the original filename being d_cent07.mid), which I used as the level music.

ELEVATOR.zip

Edited by ZedMarine610 : forgot to add line saying that feedback and criticism of my map are welcome

Short and sweet. Very nice little map. Corridors full of low tier monsters, good amount of ammo and the progression is great. I love linear maps.
What a shame that the Cola machine doesn't work :)

Screenshot_Doom_20210209_174426.png

Not much to say here really, as it's a nicely designed map for a first release. Fairly straightforward provided you don't let the Chaingunners rip into you, so that keeps you on your toes a bit. Definitely better than I would do if I created a map!

Fun little map well made if ppl had to work this hard to get to a vending machine ppl wouldn't be fat 

Nice map! Minimalistic, but elegant. You might have gotten carried away with the autoalign a bit - misaligned DOORSTOP, now that's something I don't see often!

I love the title screen, it has good color and contrast and the title is perfectly aligned with the level geometry. What image program did you use to make it?

10 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

Nice map! Minimalistic, but elegant. You might have gotten carried away with the autoalign a bit - misaligned DOORSTOP, now that's something I don't see often!

I love the title screen, it has good color and contrast and the title is perfectly aligned with the level geometry. What image program did you use to make it?

I used Illustrator to create the logo itself, while adding it to a screenshot of the map itself in Photoshop using the perspective tool.

Also, thanks for the feedback! Admittedly I was looking for texture misalignments before being done with the map - guess that DOORSTOP slipped past my eyes when checking for them.

Nice firsty, welcome to your new addiction. For the next one try playing with more  height differences,, those add a lot. A mini-boss in that last dark area would've been cool, like a pair of revenants or something. Keep it up

No elevator? 0/10: Flagrant false advertising! Nah hehe it's cute and unassuming but also makes really good use of its space, progression, combat and design. A terrific first impression. Welcome to Doomworld! :^)

ELEVATOR

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Vanilla

-Deaths: 0

-Saves: none

-The map has been played twice

Screenshot-Doom-20210209-092352.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210209-092521.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210209-092653.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210209-092848.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210209-094019.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210209-094024.png

I liked this map, it is not complicated at all to go through, however, I have had a little problem with what it is to find the secret, but things in steps. The first thing to say is about the way the level is designed, I really liked the structure and everything, a bit simple and basic but loaded with action, the meetings were still good, only in secrecy is the only problem that I find the map, it is really difficult to find it because there is nothing that shows you a way to obtain it... although well, this is only a small complaint from me, that for everything else, the map was very good for me. Great job you did on your first map.

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

10/10. Not based on my usual scale for maps in general, but based on my scale for first maps. 

Shows basically none of the usual problems that one would find in a first map. Very good! Looking forward to more.

It's a good Wad, it has some nice atmosphere through the simplicity of the architecture, but I want to criticize that it doesn't have the SSG and there are too many pickups, OR more enemies, other than that it's an insanely good first WAD and you should keep it up because you may become a great mapper! How much time did you spend building it?

That is a very solid first-timer! The detailing is to the point, almost no texture misalignments, proper lighting and item placement, no boxy rooms, tidy automap lines. One thing I noticed is that the switch that lowers the bars has no indication on what it is triggering. Players might get confused on bigger and more intricate layouts. Good work! Keep on mapping!

7 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

(snip)

I liked this map, it is not complicated at all to go through, however, I have had a little problem with what it is to find the secret, but things in steps. The first thing to say is about the way the level is designed, I really liked the structure and everything, a bit simple and basic but loaded with action, the meetings were still good, only in secrecy is the only problem that I find the map, it is really difficult to find it because there is nothing that shows you a way to obtain it... although well, this is only a small complaint from me, that for everything else, the map was very good for me. Great job you did on your first map.

Hint: one of the secrets is hinted at by a flickering light at the start and the other is something that you activate by walking over a line and keeping your ear out for the lift noise in the same room. Kindaish took notes from the original Doom maps with these, especially the 2nd one being somewhat inspired by one of the secret areas in E1M3 in Doom 1.

3 hours ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

It's a good Wad, it has some nice atmosphere through the simplicity of the architecture, but I want to criticize that it doesn't have the SSG and there are too many pickups, OR more enemies, other than that it's an insanely good first WAD and you should keep it up because you may become a great mapper! How much time did you spend building it?

About 3 days or so. And yeah, I did leave out the SSG, as I mainly designed this level as if it was the first level of the game in order to set a scope for this being my first Doom level. Did think of adding an SSG as a secret, but ended up not adding it :/

4 hours ago, ZedMarine610 said:

Hint: one of the secrets is hinted at by a flickering light at the start and the other is something that you activate by walking over a line and keeping your ear out for the lift noise in the same room. Kindaish took notes from the original Doom maps with these, especially the 2nd one being somewhat inspired by one of the secret areas in E1M3 in Doom 1.

I appreciate that you have given me your help, although apparently, I ended up discovering it with the video that Clippy uploaded here, which I dedicate myself to see after having uploaded my post. Anyway, your help is appreciated, and in truth that if they were somewhat difficult secrets, both for me and for others, in discovering them the first time.

19 hours ago, ZedMarine610 said:

About 3 days or so. And yeah, I did leave out the SSG, as I mainly designed this level as if it was the first level of the game in order to set a scope for this being my first Doom level. Did think of adding an SSG as a secret, but ended up not adding it :/ 

Well, you should definitely add in your second level if you're going to make a second one! I'd love to play it!

I really like your map I been testing my new pc and gzdoom on it ... I have a lot of issues

I wanted to do a punch everyone run of your map ... some day maybe!

I like this too!

Short and to the point. I couldn't get the blue sphere secret though. I'll probably have another crack tomorrow to see if I can find that. It would be nice if the end elevator started to descent/ascend before the level finishes so it feels like you are leaving the floor.

Keep it up. 

Good map, man! I see a lot of nice design things you've already picked up. I'm just sad a little sad the soda machine didn't make a sound or heal you a little like in Half-Life... :( Besides that, I only have one small criticism, and that's how flat this level is, it has very little verticality! Keep up at the good work and you're bound to get better! It'll come naturally.

I'm a sucker for a good techbase map.... I really enjoyed this! Took me ~5 minutes to beat.

Sometimes it's hard to play dark areas during the daytime, so I enjoyed seeing a mix of bright areas too.