Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfredo

Bloodflow - A GZDOOM megawad project! EPISODE 2 RELEASE

Loved testing this! There’s kind of a “love letter to Doom” thing going on here – at times I found myself getting UD and Doom II vibes, and in others I felt that familiar Plutonia sting, but it all seemed to come together nicely in a fun way with your own personal twist. There’s a wonderful mixture here of vanilla resources, tight looping progression, and just enough UDMF-isms to squeeze some fresh flavor into the whole recipe. And, I always appreciate <10 minute maps full of quick, frenetic gameplay.

MAP01 subverted my expectations a bit, wasting absolutely zero time in ratcheting up the weapons and bestiary to deliver a nice punchy opener. MAP02 continued to up the ante with some nail-biting arenas, and then MAP03 finally opened things up with notably larger spaces (and equally larger fights). MAP04 is, as you mentioned, intended to be in a later slot which certainly helps me stomach the jolt in difficulty found in the final arena, but it’s still a fun challenge despite the borderline cruelty of the earlier version I tested. That said, it was definitely enjoyable to step outside into that abstract, rocky layout as a contrast to the opening levels.

I absolutely love your penchant for Archvile setpieces, and there are a number of them in these short few maps, but they’re rather innovative and I always had a massive grin on my face after beating them. The “blood” mechanic in the level design – that unique bit of environmental storytelling – is also very creative, and I’m keen on seeing how that concept continues to be used and expanded upon.

The texture work can be a little rough around the edges sometimes (and not always helped by some of the more underwhelming, square-box rooms), but the unapologetic run-and-gun style with the classic vibes had me hooked the entire time. And, it certainly felt like you were starting to get a little more confident in your designs and ideas as the maps went on, so I’m really excited to see where this goes!

The first episode of Bloodflow is complete! The first 7 levels comprise the first act. A new map has been added to the wad. MAP07. Along with an intermission once complete. I hope everyone enjoys this first taste of the wad. There will be more to come! :) Thanks @Biodegradable for your helpful video playthroughs. If you find any bugs, please report them.

Episode 1 has been extended to include 11 maps. Still, thanks Bio for your continued support <3

Edited by Alfredo

This hurt, but in a good way. Good job, keep'em coming. A part of me would like this with some more advanced textures for aded personnality, but that's far from what's most important. Kudos !

Alfredo is a mean SOB but it's a really fun vanilla-style wad that utilizes some UDMF tricks. Love the theme with blood powering everything.

You know I gotta say it - the levels could have more health and ammo. ;p

1 minute ago, Captain Caleb said:

Alfredo is a mean SOB but it's a really fun vanilla-style wad that utilizes some UDMF tricks. Love the theme with blood powering everything.

You know I gotta say it - the levels could have more health and ammo. ;p

Stop saving with 3 health and maybe you'd have more of it. Lol. Thanks for playing. I did add more ammo and health after your playthrough.

I just finished Blood Keep. I found both secrets, so I'd say they're well placed, without being to obscure, I got all items and 96% kills, on a first run. I have to go back and find those damned monsters.

I think the the general design and, as always, the bloodflow™ contraptions are awesome and very well made. I think you were able to make some landmarks and make the level "circular", in a good way.

It was tough on UV, and the ambushes worked out pretty well, particularly that one when you're going up and the exit blocks, with the Mancubi, Revs, etc. Caught me off guard. I also very much enjoyed the battle in the blood with the well-place Archie, Hell Knights and Mancubi, and the final bout with the Cybie while being surrounded and making use of infighting was awesome.

The track you chose is good, but I'm not sure it fits with the heart-pumping pace of the map.

And finally, I played without freelook and with Doom compatibility strict, but changed it after I found that some of the bridges became impossible to cross due to the actor's height.

This was my first time playtesting something and giving feedback so, I hope it was helpful, and I had a lot of fun in the Blood Keep. I'd definitely recommend it to any doomer.

I have compiled the first 11 maps into Episode 1 for the Wad. Its not something I thought I would do originally, but felt was appropriate given the direction i'm planning to go with the Wad in terms of story. It helps provide a little bit more context for the slaughter. Which is always a good thing I think. I could consider this an RC1 for Episode 1. there's probably a bunch of bugs and stuff that I've gotta fix. but that's okay. I hope everyone that tries the wad will enjoy this first episode!

Map 11 - Boarded. Was added in this latest post. Please enjoy it.

Thank you everyone. 

Well, for the first time since Syringe's pre-release I played a WAD I'm not involved in the development of from start to finish (well, current finish) and I'm glad I did so. Bloodflow is a great set with well thought-out encounters and a super cool core theme. I played on UV and had a great time, though certain encounters kicked my ass a fair few times. With saving during downtime (rather than during encounters) it took me about 4 hours of fairly rusty gameplay to get through the first episode.

Given it's stictly a map pack that means that those of the folks out there that are inclined towards running with mods should find that this set will work with whatever gameplay modifications they throw at it. Alternatively, if you're looking for a set with a fairly classic feel out of the box then you can't go wrong with this.

Addendum: I'd like to make special note of maps 7, 10, and 11, which are my favourites of the set.

Edited by Altazimuth

I was unable to complete the first map with infinitely tall actors.  You should set that option in the zmapinfo(compat_nopassover).

You have this texture issue at the exit of your first map.

Screenshot_Doom_20210227_091334.png.db6da53bc03944fe784d4aa7cdc742e2.png

Also put some damned secrets in!

Another issue I noticed in the first map is that due to the depth of the blood grooves in the central pentagram, grounded monsters will not walk over it.  This severely limits their ability to traverse the room and attack the player.  This isn't a huge issue, as most of them have projectiles, but this does prevent them from chasing down the player in certain parts.  Making those grooves shallower will make it easier for them to navigate.

Edited by A.o.D.

A new map is available to playtest! Map12: The Shores of Deimos!

With this update, I have made several gameplay tweaks to previous levels. All levels except for map07 now have at least 1 secret. Difficulties have been balanced and progression has been tweaked in certain fights throughout Episode 1. Please give it a look. c:

Thank you for playing Bloodflow! <3

On 11/24/2020 at 10:21 PM, Biodegradable said:

All the blood you see flowing in the maps of this WAD is actually mine that was squeezed out of me during playtesting!

LMAO I hear ya. I saw @Alfredo posted this in @Dubbag wad show. Particularly I was interested in map 12 cause it looked classic and tough but most of all, advertised 10 minute play time

pffffft no friggin way lol

Maybe with much practice (and luck) but on a blind run? 10 minutes? Forget about it!

Still this was an interesting challenge. But you were in full on evil overdrive for this one. Most notedbly the archvile/baron/chaingunners encounter. My goodness that was one of the most difficult and seemingly unfair challenges I had in the last little while. I mean the amount of things that have to go right in that encounter alone!!! But there were other interesting fights to be had here too but quite hardcore - dragged through hell from the opening bell

Overall - quite a mean little classic looking map here!!

Enjoy my video of me getting my ass kicked maybe ... I need to lie down

50 minutes ago, Clippy said:

LMAO I hear ya. I saw @Alfredo posted this in @Dubbag wad show. Particularly I was interested in map 12 cause it looked classic and tough but most of all, advertised 10 minute play time

pffffft no friggin way lol

Maybe with much practice (and luck) but on a blind run? 10 minutes? Forget about it!

Still this was an interesting challenge. But you were in full on evil overdrive for this one. Most notedbly the archvile/baron/chaingunners encounter. My goodness that was one of the most difficult and seemingly unfair challenges I had in the last little while. I mean the amount of things that have to go right in that encounter alone!!! But there were other interesting fights to be had here too but quite hardcore - dragged through hell from the opening bell

Overall - quite a mean little classic looking map here!!

Enjoy my video of me getting my ass kicked maybe ... I need to lie down

Hey @Clippy. Thank you very much for the playthrough! I appreciate you sticking through it to the end. I know that there are parts of that map that are pretty mean. I suppose I should put a sort of disclaimer about what to expect in terms of difficulties. UV is meant to be really spicy and difficult. HMP is a bit more lax, but still challenging. For example, the Vile in the baron/chaingunner/vile fight is swapped with a Manc on HMP and lower. HNTR relaxes things even further while still maintaining a sense of challenge. Most viles are gone on HNTR as well as other problem monsters, but fights can still pose a challenge in one form or another.

As for the Vile/Gunner/baron fight, You had the right idea. Grabbing the invis immediately is key to that fight. And you can pretty consistently squeeze around the baron and grab it before he claws you. By then, most of the room is shooting each other. Rockets are definitely the best way to go through that fight. And as you said. It takes a bit of luck to ensure that the Vile's positioning isn't overlooking the wood crate cover enough that he can scam you on the other side. Its definitely mean. But It is doable consistently with a bit of practice. 

In regards to the 10 minute timer thing. I think I was a bit misleading with that and I apologize for that. I had seen @Jimmy and a couple other playtesters run through it on UV in under 10 minutes in-game time as well as IRL time.. I'm sorry that I set the wrong expectation going into the map. 

I would recommend giving the whole set a play through on HNTR or HMP. They are just as challenging and likely far less ball busting than UV is. :) 

That and HNTR testers are in short supply <3

Thanks again for playing!

On 3/27/2021 at 11:19 AM, Alfredo said:

A new map is available to playtest! Map14: Not As You Left It!

I am just getting back to playing this today. Is it still all one episode?

3 hours ago, Korozive said:

I am just getting back to playing this today. Is it still all one episode?

episode 1 is maps 1-11. Maps 12-??? Will be episode 2. Still working that stuff out. Everything's included in the zip. :)