Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forgettable pyromaniac

What is your "Doom Niche"?

To elaborate, what's one specific thing you're oddly good at when it comes to doom?

Spoiler

For myself, it's dodging Arachntron Plasma Bolts in small halls (using the baby spider behind the wall in map12 of TNT as an example). I can weave through them with little issue almost every time.

This is a general question, so this includes building levels and playing levels, fyi.

I'm good at shooting things :)

I like to search for details on maps, especially if they add to the atmosphere or storytelling.

For example, on map06 of TNT:R there is a computer panel locked with yellow bar. That computer panel doesn't activate anything at all.

But later, on the text screen, we found that you send a message to earth WITH that computer panel.

A lot of people think that the room was just to get the ammo, and thus, somewhat stupid, but that little detail was really amazing for me.

There are a lot of little things like that, and i love to find old maps or underrated maps that had a lot of those kind of details.

1 hour ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

To elaborate, what's one specific thing you're oddly good at when it comes to doom?

You need to play magnolia map02, the first room is a nice plasma dodge room. 

My niche is pixel-pixel-pixel-sr50 jumps/setups.  Example 4:07 in (it should be timestamped)

Shooting down cacodemons and pain elementals with the RL. I find the activity immensely satisfying for some reason.

Having the patience to "carve" around the pieces of a rocky floortexture whenever I'm mapping and feeling like doing meticulous, albeit somewhat time-consuming work.

Edited by Cell

Puzzle maps. I love flipping a random switch and exploring to see what it did. So long as the puzzles are somewhat thought out. Even the light puzzles in normal action/adventure wads are a highlight of the experience.

I also like when the map changes its physical architecture after exploring and killing.

And chaingunning excessive hordes of zombiemen is very satisfying. Just that playful *POP POP* *POP POP* and over the top screams. It almost feels like a bonus area in Donkey Kong Country or something if implemented well.

I notice things people don't mention. Such as that switch tend to be indented (mappers get it) so you can see them if you zoom in the automap. Useful for Hexen. Also, you can manipulate the automap when the game is paused. You can also scroll inventory (at least in Raven games) when paused. (Use the pause key.)

Also my niche is EE, so I sometimes make mapsets with ZDoomisms EE compatible. I really should do a full sweep of Lunar Catastrophe and release it online. Maybe I should see if I could make it Unity compatible. Maybe someday.

I’m really good at putting lots of love and detail into one small, optional part of a map that the player will spend 15 seconds in and then having the key central areas of the map look super barren and uninteresting

Vanilla 3D steptop bridges

Sector trees

Hell Revealed 2 inspired maps

Big adventure Ultimate Doom maps with only stock textures

Writing maps ideas on paper but not concretize them.

Choosing to map with stock textures because being too lazy to create a resource pack.

Making demos on my own maps

Making Vanilla Heretic maps is my Doom niche :)

And i've heard some say i am good with colors :o

Oh yeah I forgot my other thing which is finding excuses to use FIREBLU as often as I think I can get away with.  I unironically love FIREBLU

36 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Knowing way too much information about Maximum Doom.

And enjoy watching others suffer through Maximum Doom :D

My thing is music I guess. Or at least music appreciation, as lame as that sounds. Music alone has given me tons of ideas for maps (though none of them have been finished or released yet), and I've noticed that the music of a level can actually drastically affect how I play. A song that I like can put me into sort of a rhythm where I start becoming better at the game than I normally am. Not sure if that's unusual or if it's something a lot of people experience.

I've tried dipping my toes into making music of my own, but I've listened to so much that I don't trust my brain not to accidentally just rewrite something I've heard.

Mapping Psychology, lol. I seem to have become some sort of mapping positivity cheerleader/always having something to say about the process in recent months and I am totally okay with that. Not being able to pursue my own creative goals as much as I want to due to personal circumstances makes this something I enjoy doing to give back to the community in some way. 

Save-scumming.

In all seriousness, I'd say that regardless of the perceived quality of my maps so far, I'm alright at creating the atmosphere that I envision in my head before making the map.

Spending more time picking the music in my playlist I'm gonna play while playing Doom more then actually playing Doom.