Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jghfugg29833

What is the worst map you can create?

Just now, jghfugg29833 said:

put it here when you end it

I just got an idea that's going to take forever. I'm gonna write your name down and i'll tag you in it when i'm done.

This.  This is the worst map I can create.  It's got inescapable death pits, it's got punching pain elementals with no Berserk, it's got misaligned STARTAN and FIREBLU, it's got a bullshit unmarked teleport "puzzle," it's got inconsistent damaging floors... everything about this map is engineered to make you crave oblivion, and I dare you to UV-Max this abomination. 

Worst.7z

DOOM04.png.f461afb5e7a3e1f218b235c9bb88ea00.png

Any 1994 map where you punch the air and the entire level wakes up.

My first Doom map posted online... I had a big idea, which was my first mistake. My second mistake was making it a prequel to an episode with limited content... I'll just let Henry do the talking....

On 1/28/2021 at 8:53 AM, Maes said:

Basically, make it so that some of the maps in that mapset consist 100% of damaging floors and crushers, as well as overwhelming number of monsters. Besides invulnerability or radsuits (which of course will NOT be provided), the only way (or at least a way) to get by those would be to exit a previous map as a zombie with negative or zero health, so no monsters would be alerted and no damage would be taken by crushers etc.

But that in turn will create a host of other problems such as not being able to use weapons or pick up health... I guess the only way to break out of it would be to die on a damaging exit floor. If sector damage still does not apply, getting hit by a monster or barrel explosion while standing on one.

Haha, I tried this one ... but unfortuntately I didn't figure out a way to later "break out" of the zombie state. I tried the damaging exit floor but you will start the next level also in the zombie state, the same way than if you exit normally with an exit switch. It seemed also impossible to alert monsters to bring your health down so you die normally. Maybe something with crushing barrels may be possible? If not, this is only an option for the last map of a mapset (or of course with some trickery I don't know) ...

6 hours ago, erzboesewicht said:

Haha, I tried this one ... but unfortuntately I didn't figure out a way to later "break out" of the zombie state. I tried the damaging exit floor but you will start the next level also in the zombie state, the same way than if you exit normally with an exit switch. It seemed also impossible to alert monsters to bring your health down so you die normally. Maybe something with crushing barrels may be possible? If not, this is only an option for the last map of a mapset (or of course with some trickery I don't know) ...

Hmm...maybe just walking on the death exit sector causes a zombie player (without previous health pick ups, so actual zero or negative health) to immediately exit without getting damaged first, so of course in this case the zombie state will be preserved for the next map.

To be able to break out of it, you'd need to get actually damaged by something and really die before triggering the exit, e.g. by receiving splash damage and then your corpse sliding past a W1 exit line or into the death exit sector....there's even a demo where a dead player does just that.

Well here it is: Afterlife 42 - Most frustrating puzzle map since "Excalibur" and "Monster Mansion" ! :D

afterlife42.zip

(improved version, see my answer to Andromeda's post)

Spoiler

puzzle2.jpg.a48e992ae08345e80f1fe4628df2fc06.jpg

Nice machinery, will help a lot to max this thing!

puzzle3.jpg.8adcb7e83fbdf75aaf4252852d60a5a8.jpg

Awww, so many soulspheres! My health will be replenished soon ... WTF?

puzzle1.jpg.3949bd50de307b35d4ce1a18dca22eca.jpg

Oh, a BFG! That will make it easy to get rid of these archies, or not?

(It is beatable, at least under prboom-plus ...)

@Maes:

Spoiler

It seems the zombie behaves different inside of the level he got "zombified" and in the next level if he manages to exit the map. Inside the map he can get out of the zombie state (although it seems he cannot pickup weapons correnctly), but once he gets into the next one he cannot pickup health, so he can't go back to normal again. You're also totally right that the "damaging exit" makes exit the player instantly, without taking damage. That's at least what I tried out in prboom-plus, I've no idea if it is different in other ports.

I've just seen that there are some demonstration maps in doomwiki, so I'll look at them. Maybe I can make a "real map" with this concept ...

Edited by erzboesewicht

On 2/8/2021 at 11:28 AM, Maes said:

Any 1994 map where you punch the air and the entire level wakes up.

nuts.wad in a nutshell

43 minutes ago, Dyshoria said:

nuts.wad in a nutshell

Nahh, at least that one has a separate room of monsters that stay dormant until you open it and provoke them. I mean the classic 1994 map with a "normal" layout where however you get an enormous lag spike with the first shot fired, as the entire level wakes up to find you.

6 hours ago, erzboesewicht said:

Well here it is: Afterlife 42 - Most frustrating puzzle map since "Excalibur" and "Monster Mansion" ! :D

This piqued my interest, so here's a casual UV Max demo:

afterlife42-212.zip

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

This piqued my interest, so here's a casual UV Max demo:

afterlife42-212.zip

Oh, I see I have to improve the map .... a good player like you is obviously still able to brute-force a (very substantial) part of the puzzle ...

Spoiler

Normally, there is a step missing, and you shouldn't be able to survive the archie/cybie ambush if you didn't solve this part, which is the real "frustrating" one ... (and then the "afterlife" name makes sense, too ...)

Thanks for playing!

Edit:

This is the improved map: afterlife42.zip

Maybe an absolute doom god can still bruteforce it but I think it should be hard enough to force players to solve the difficult part of the puzzle ;-)

Spoiler

Hint:

Examine the screenshots

Edited by erzboesewicht

3 hours ago, erzboesewicht said:

Oh, I see I have to improve the map .... a good player like you is obviously still able to brute-force a (very substantial) part of the puzzle ...

Hide contents

Normally, there is a step missing, and you shouldn't be able to survive the archie/cybie ambush if you didn't solve this part, which is the real "frustrating" one ... (and then the "afterlife" name makes sense, too ...)

Thanks for playing!

Edit:

This is the improved map: afterlife42.zip

Maybe an absolute doom god can still bruteforce it but I think it should be hard enough to force players to solve the difficult part of the puzzle ;-)

Hide contents

Hint:

Examine the screenshots

Now with 100% more cheese :^) (sorry)

afterlife42-500.zip

Spoiler

I know the solution is to turn yourself into a zombie, but for max purposes not doing so seems easier, unless I missed something. 

13 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Now with 100% more cheese :^) (sorry)

afterlife42-500.zip

Reveal hidden contents

I know the solution is to turn yourself into a zombie, but for max purposes not doing so seems easier, unless I missed something. 

Failed again! Trying to fix one flaw too fast I introduced another one ... :'(

Revised again, this time with some a bit more substantial changes (provided elements to max the map "the intended way"):

afterlife42b.zip

I'm sure you can still break it (your skills are much superior than mine), but I doubt with better times than with the "intended" approach. This is probably the final revision of that thing ... otherwise I'm going totally OT here in this thread (is there something like a "Joke/Concept map thread" here?). But it could be interesting to explore this effect in a "serious" map ...

12 hours ago, erzboesewicht said:

Failed again! Trying to fix one flaw too fast I introduced another one ... :'(

Revised again, this time with some a bit more substantial changes (provided elements to max the map "the intended way"):

afterlife42b.zip

I'm sure you can still break it (your skills are much superior than mine), but I doubt with better times than with the "intended" approach. This is probably the final revision of that thing ... otherwise I'm going totally OT here in this thread (is there something like a "Joke/Concept map thread" here?). But it could be interesting to explore this effect in a "serious" map ...

Now I think I did it right :)

afterlife42-513.zip

10 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Now I think I did it right :)

afterlife42-513.zip

Yep, that's about "the intended way" (TM). Bold move with the soulspheres :) Thanks again for playing!

(I must admit that I still didn't achieve a saveless max run, only one with savescumming about 5 minutes ... but no demo, so no proof ...)

A highly detailed map where every sector is marked as a secret, think KDIZD or mid 2000s wad type of super detail. Would be even worse in GZDoom because of the secret found notification.

On 1/23/2021 at 11:13 PM, CammyBanana said:

In all seriousness if we're talking about making what would well and truly be the worst map we can make, then we'd be trying to ensure that the player is as miserable as possible for as long as possible. The purest distillation of mapping cruelty, in my opinion, would be this:

Okay I tried to create this masterpiece..

In true worst map fashion I didn't even fully test it and it might even be broken, barons keep ignoring the monster blocking linedefs and I'm not sure why.

Oh and its in OG doom 2 format, should be compatible with Boom for speedrunning, right?

Wurst.zip

Edited by Tanksy : Added the wad lol

On 2/7/2021 at 11:20 PM, Orcsbreath said:

dare you to UV-Max this abomination.

6 hours ago, Tanksy said:

Okay I tried to create this masterpiece..

lol, I'm not recording a demo for this one.

@Tanksy lol that FIREBLU arena is so goddamn large that it made the nodebuilder have an aneurysm and so I and the barons were just noclipping through linedefs and each other at random

Edited by StupidBunny