Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A.o.D.

Map release: TROUSLED.WAD

Edit:  Version 1.1 is out.  It fixes an error where you could double trigger the last major event, breaking the final fight.  Redownload from the Google drive to get the new version.  Map name should be trousled_1_1.wad

IDGAMES LINK!!  https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/trousled  IDGAMES LINK!!

You guys want to play some DOOM II? You want to fight like hell, rip and tear, and blow up some Demons? Well, I can't help you with the last bit, because my WAD has no guns in it unless you play on ITYTD, which is basically this map's spectator mode. Then you should check out TROUSLED.WAD. It's not a joke map, but a map with a punchline. In this map you punch the crap out of a horde of skeletons that have invaded a critical hydroponics lab. Just drag and drop this WAD file onto your GZDoom sourceport and get to punching!  So come on down to TROUSLED.WAD, we've got:

Snowy rooftops

Screenshot_Doom_20210215_091839.png

moody hydroponics labs

Screenshot_Doom_20210215_091925.png

A 50 ton crane?

Screenshot_Doom_20210216_052306.png

A dynamically evolving arena!

Screenshot_Doom_20210216_052423.png

More snowy rooftops!

Screenshot_Doom_20210216_053033.png

Don't forget the horde of screaming boners!

You can get this wad from here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/17BXp1IUjnVFUyIU8PHi6eHsWhQAVOpKR/view?usp=sharing

or here:  https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/trousled

Be sure to read the readme, not because it's particularly essential, but to validate the time I spent writing it.

Vertices: 9184
Sides: 21275
Lines:  11643
Sectors:  2671
Things:  241

Total Size:  5696 x 6352

trousled_1_1.wad_MAP01.png.8ab87d8fb3e71449e238a9791869e173.png

Thanks go to these people for their assistance:

Jay Reichard for making the Outro midi for this project

@Kibner for providing acs assistance

ChubZdoomer for his Zdoom video tutorials

the ZDoom wiki for the knowledge therein

Worst, from these very forums, for providing very useful acs code

Son of Thunderbeast for playtesting

Edited by A.o.D. : updated wad version

I'm afraid I don't understand.   What more context do you want?  I kind of laid out the basics in the first post already.

I left that there because I wasn't sure you gave enough information. Apologies, I'm used to people not giving enough information to testers. The only thing you missed is if Jumping or freelook is necessary.  

That's covered in the readme, but to answer your question, crouching and jumping are turned off in the zmapinfo, but free look is allowed, although not required.  Gameplay is 100% vanilla.

1 hour ago, A.o.D. said:

I'm afraid I don't understand.   What more context do you want?  I kind of laid out the basics in the first post already.

well hmm the initial goal of CapnClever's post was to sort of smooth out the road from an author posting a map to a player playing it and then providing feedback as if you are some salesperson hawking your WAD on the street. let's see how you stack up.

1. Screenshots! Yeah, you posted like five screenshots. and even a video!

2. What ports did you test with? You specifically mentioned GZDoom so that can't be the issue

3. For advanced ports: you don't spell this out in the post but it is pretty explicit in the .TXT. and I might just be old-fashioned but you even said in your post, Be sure to read the readme. this lets you know that freelook is encouraged but jumping and crouching are disabled.

4. Which IWAD did you use? it's obvious that this is Doom II because of the skellingtons so no issue here.

5. Mapsets are assumed to start on MAP01. and this one does! it even says so in the .txt.

6. When you post updates, well this is way more relevant for long-dev projects and this hasn't even been up long enough to accrue one.

1. How much content is there? well maybe it's just context clues but I figured before cracking open the .TXT that this was a single level.

2. If your file is supposed to follow a certain limitation, well there's obviously a player-imposed limitation because the PWAD's premise involves punching skeletons to death, which you outright state, and while you don't say it here the .TXT does say that it is not compatible with other mods (though you do say that it might be compatible, going so far as to endorse Smooth Doom).

3. Does your map contain specific gameplay themes? skeleton fisting. got it.

4. Roughly how difficult is the gameplay? well you know whether this PWAD is your style based on whether or not you are down with fist combat against revenants. a big part of it would be whether or not this is expedited by, idk, giving a player a berserk powerup in there somewhere, but melee vs. skeletons - fist or not - is going to be more of a challenge than most Doomers want to take up. if anyone is wondering, YES, you do get a Berserk powerup very early on.

in conclusion, I don't know why it seemed helpful to link you the thread. i guess that you could have included all this info in a little bullet point list rather than ask people to read either your post or the .TXT. but reading is fundamental.

For something more pertinent to the WAD in question:

This is a fun little map that starts out with a few tongue-in-cheek Undertale references. Somewhere along the way it was literally hit by a revenant bus. almost all of the fights involve punching multiple revenants at the same time, like 5+. this can be challenging, especially in the dynamic arena where you have to spend a little more time luring boners around so as to not completely expose yourself. the finale may be a bit much for folks especially if they're not expecting to either 1) get swamped by revenants out of the bus via a ruthlessly efficient teleporter or 2) free a Cyberdemon via the monolithic Hellevator, who takes care of the Desert Bus hopefuls for you.

Cool! I liked it. only found one of the secrets - the one that spawns the soul sphere in the cargo bay.

Just now, kmxexii said:

in conclusion, I don't know why it seemed helpful to link you the thread. i guess that you could have included all this info in a little bullet point list rather than ask people to read either your post or the .TXT. but reading is fundamental.

My bad, I wasn’t sure whether I should link the thread, since the info was in the readme( he mentioned the readme wasn’t important, so I assumed it was something else. Apologies.

10 minutes ago, kmxexii said:

A lovely write up

I just want to point out that, as I've already mentioned, the ITYTD difficulty gives the player guns if you aren't down with punching skeletons and just want to sight see.

5 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

My bad, I wasn’t sure whether I should link the thread, since the info was in the readme( he mentioned the readme wasn’t important, so I assumed it was something else. Apologies.

yeah I saw that too but you never know what forbidden treasures might be found in the .txt. it explains a lot of stuff that might make you go "huh?" like only being able to punch switches or foreshadowing the skeleton v. Cyberdemon finale.

6 hours ago, A.o.D. said:

I just want to point out that, as I've already mentioned, the ITYTD difficulty gives the player guns if you aren't down with punching skeletons and just want to sight see.

lol, I just found the FIREBLU secret replaying it like this :3

14 minutes ago, kmxexii said:

lol, I just found the FIREBLU secret replaying it like this :3

did you find the double secret?

14 minutes ago, A.o.D. said:

did you find the double secret?

I did in fact meet Axel and Denver! I also found the "sequence complete" while poking around but could not figure out what it did.

I also discovered that the topography of the level changes based on whether or not you're standing inside the fiery cave when you slay the last revenant that comes out of it.

It teleports some goodies right between some very large butt cheeks.  What you get depends on difficulty.

1 minute ago, A.o.D. said:

It teleports some goodies right between some very large butt cheeks.  What you get depends on difficulty.

Oh, okay! I see that now.

THERES A BUG IN THE FINAL FIGHT!

I forgot to clear a development line def so it's possible to double trigger the last Arena shift if you're slow enough on killing skeletons and moving through the fire cave.  I need to fix this.  There will be an update out today.

4 hours ago, A.o.D. said:

THERES A BUG IN THE FINAL FIGHT!

I forgot to clear a development line def so it's possible to double trigger the last Arena shift if you're slow enough on killing skeletons and moving through the fire cave.  I need to fix this.  There will be an update out today.

oh! for some reason I took it for granted that this was a feature, lol.

I made a walkthrough and commentary video.  I die a lot in it, as it turns out that talking and boxing at the same time is really hard.   I don't know how some people do it.

The video clocks in at nearly 30 minutes, so I can't guarantee that it will be worth your time.

Edited by A.o.D.

It seems this map is not Zandronum compatible and also a revenant will fire rockets close in that.   So definitely play in a newer GZDoom.

Only now I understood the reference in the wad's title. I feel very dumb now...

One last bump with an /idgames mirror link in the op, as well as a construction info dump.