Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

How rare are these CD-ROM releases?

1. Doom (not Ultimate!) mail order 1.9 version:

http://redump.org/disc/25720/

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/doom/cover-art/gameCoverId,205489/ - Mobygames has a disc picture.

2. Doom II 1.666

http://redump.org/disc/18391/

I thought 1.7 was the original CD-ROM release, while 1.666 was only on floppies? Any info on this?

I would totally look for Doom II 1.666 on Ebay if I knew how to tell it apart from the 1.7 version.

i'm not sure about the og doom, but i'm pretty certain that i have two copies of doom 2 1.666 on cd. so i assume it's not that rare

Edited by roadworx

I have Ultimate Doom on CD and Doom2 on floppies, I think it was 6 floppies.

I'd imagine anything on floppy disk from original release date would be the most rare.

6 hours ago, roadworx said:

i'm not sure about the og doom, but i'm pretty certain that i have two copies of doom 2 1.666 on cd. so i assume it's not that rare

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

1.666 is the original CD release (source: I own it). Not uncommon at all.

Hey, does the disc look any different from 1.7 or 1.9 releases? I'd like to hunt this down but it would be difficult to ask every seller to check the file dates.

This is the CD that I have. Compare with the 1.9 CD from the Depths of Doom Trilogy collection (different id and GT logos, different fine print, no ESRB rating). The other ones that I'm aware of (id Anthology, etc.) use totally different artwork so it's easy to tell them apart.

I wasn't aware of a 1.7 CD release even existing. Do you own one?

1 hour ago, Mr.Rocket said:

[...] and Doom2 on floppies, I think it was 6 floppies.

The DOS version of DOOM II is on 5 floppies, while the Macintosh version is on 7.

50 minutes ago, Orchid87 said:

Hey, does the disc look any different from 1.7 or 1.9 releases?

There are more than 20 different CD releases of DOOM II, and it would be infeasible for someone to collect them all and check the file dates on the discs.  However, I would assume that all the original IBM (not Windows) PC CD-ROM big box releases of DOOM II are v1.666.

Here is a list I made of the classic DOOM releases.

I have reference photos of most of those releases saved on my computer with credits.

28 minutes ago, Revenant said:

Compare with the 1.9 CD from the Depths of Doom Trilogy collection

Note that the Depths of DOOM Trilogy discs look different in different regions.  For example, the US/Australian version of the DOOM II disc from that compilation reads "DOOM II for Windows 95" on the label.  The disc still contains both the DOS and Windows version, however.

50 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I wasn't aware of a 1.7 CD release even existing. Do you own one?

Nope, but Doomwiki states that original CD release is 1.7 and I have assumed this being the case:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Versions_of_Doom_and_Doom_II#v1.666

1.7, 1.7a and 1.9 DOS CD releases exist:

http://redump.org/discs/quicksearch/doom-ii/

I only have 1.9 for Win95. I have always wanted to get 1.666 DOS release but the floppies version is overpriced and probably not durable for collecting. If there is 1.666 on CD, I'll go look for it.

Yeah, that Wiki information is incorrect.  The first CD release of DOOM II is definitely v1.666, and it can't be rare.  My US/Canadian big box of DOOM II is v1.666.

5 minutes ago, Orchid87 said:

1.7, 1.7a and 1.9 DOS CD releases exist:

I checked the barcodes on that site for the 1.7 and 1.7a releases, and they match the barcode on my big box that contains a 1.666 CD.  So it seems the only way to know for sure which version a DOOM II disc is is to check the files on it.

29 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Yeah, that Wiki information is incorrect.  The first CD release of DOOM II is definitely v1.666, and it can't be rare.  My US/Canadian big box of DOOM II is v1.666.

Thanks, that's good to know. You seem to know a lot about different releases, would you mind if I ask a couple of random questions?

My copy of UD for Win95 has a rear jewel box insert, but all DOS release pictures that I've seen online lack one. Is this correct for the DOS release?

Are DOS/V Japanese releases translated like PC-9800 ones, or they are the same as regular DOS versions?

Now that mail order CD release must be really rare. I wonder if the box is any different from the regular floppies version.

1 minute ago, Orchid87 said:

Are DOS/V Japanese releases translates like PC-9800 ones, or they are the same as regular DOS versions?

iirc they do.

30 minutes ago, Orchid87 said:

My copy of UD for Win95 has a rear jewel box insert, but all DOS release pictures that I've seen online lack one. Is this correct for the DOS release?

Yes, that is normal.  The brand new Ultimate DOOM box I got (with the "Free DOOM poster signed by the developers" sticker on the shrink wrap) contained a jewel case with no rear insert.  Also note that it's normal for some releases of DOOM II to not contain any front cover insert for the jewel case.

Are DOS/V Japanese releases translated like PC-9800 ones, or they are the same as regular DOS versions?

I am not sure.  While I've seen photos of those releases and their physical contents, I never got my own copies due to them being too expensive.

Now that mail order CD release must be really rare.

The mail order CD release is indeed extremely rare.  The retail release (The Ultimate DOOM) quickly made the mail order CD obsolete.

I wonder if the box is any different from the regular floppies version.

It looks like the same box.  Below is a photo from omega_supreme's Classic Games Collection.

IMG_1324.jpg.bf56fc31339813092bbe1e2fe628be03.jpg

Notice how the mail order CD and its sleeve have the game's cover art on them.  This is important because there is a somewhat common fake/bootleg mail order version that I've seen show up on eBay several times.  The fake CD comes in a jewel case with a mini-manual, and the disc's label is black with the DOOM logo on it.

I've also seen speculation that there could be a mail order v1.8 CD release of DOOM.  A few years ago on Twitter, someone claimed they had obtained a mail order copy of v1.8 on CD.  I did ask them for more information, but they never responded.  I can't find the Tweet anymore.

4 hours ago, Paul814 said:

Does anyone else own this copy? I picked this up in the early 2000's at Walmart.

71yuCd1hYHL._SL1000_.jpg

*raises hand*

Only thing that sucks about the XP release is no mouse support unlike the other CD-ROMs we have of DOOM1&2, but running the wads in the source port fixes that lol. Not sure if this version is considered rare or not, I would think the older CD-ROMs are rarer. 

1 minute ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

@Paul814 I have a couple of copies of that collection. It's the Doom 95 versions on the discs I have

@Kokoro Hane Even though it says it's a collector's edition it's not that rare. The big box release of it is probably the rarest.

Yeah that makes sense. Since it is a newer collection. I am wondering how rare the floppys are though, we do have some of those.

8 hours ago, Paul814 said:

Does anyone else own this copy? I picked this up in the early 2000's at Walmart.

Yes, I got the Australian version (which comes in a taller case) in a game store for AU $19.95.  I also got the older big box/jewel case release online.

Spoiler

1321349635_2021-02-17doomcetrilogy.jpg.1a2f1c04551bfa3e29abc5b38433cdf6.jpg

On 2/16/2021 at 1:36 PM, Paul814 said:

...Does anyone have a copy...

I have the big box for it still. There was a CD Jewelcase release, a middle size dvd type case release, and an old fashioned 'big box' release of it, as far as I know.

5 hours ago, Arrowhead12 said:

I have the big box for it still. There was a CD Jewelcase release, a middle size dvd type case release, and an old fashioned 'big box' release of it, as far as I know. 

In addition to the jewel case- and keep case-sized Digipak forms (cardboard cases), there are also small box (like the big box, but smaller) and regular plastic keep case forms.