Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sotenga

Your own coined terms for occurrences in Doom

I was wondering if anyone had their own silly terms for things that happen in Doom that don't really have any universal definition. Here are a few I've drawn up for example:

Chain-Sniping: When Chaingunners are placed a fair distance away and manage to sap a good chunk of your life with a weapon that really shouldn't be as accurate as it is. 

Bunnyhunt Level: A stage that takes after the blueprint of map 11 in Plutonia, "Hunted," where the primary threat are a bunch of Arch-Viles activated and scattered all over the stage. They may not be the only threat, but they are the most dominant. Examples include map 10 of Equinox and map 8 of Going Down, "Hide and Seek."

Bonestorm: The sudden appearance of a horde of Revenants, one of the more frustratingly popular monsters to place in large quantities on slaughtermaps. 

Painkiller: Standing point-blank in front of a Pain Elemental, thus causing their Lost Souls to get telefragged by your presence. Bonus points if you kill the PE and stand just so that its death spawns are also denied.

Pistoled Off: A map 1 that doesn't give you a Shotgun. The only example I can think of right now is that Scythe's first two maps don't give you the Shotgun, although the first one does give you a Chainsaw, at least. 

If there's anything you'd like to add to the Doom lexicon based on your observances and experiences, go for it!

I don't have a specific term for it -- suggestions are welcome, I suppose -- but one of my more gleeful Doom moments is when I rocket a group of pinkies and am rewarded with the satisfying aria of 4 dying sounds played concurrently

"Bagged": If I kill two or more mid-tiered enemies, usually of the same type, with one hit from the Super Shotgun (most commonly used with Cacodemons, and by mid-tiered, I mean anything with more HP than a Revenant).

"Mosquitos": Normally refers to several Shotgun Guys, sometimes Zombiemen, that are out in wide open areas and can hit you from any distance, sucking away your health like a mosquito.

Edited by peach freak

"Cheap Day Return" - When you dodge a rev missile, it flies out a window, and somehow circles back in through another window and hits you.

"Silent But Deadly" - When an Archvile targets you but you don't get the flame sprite or sound on you.

1 hour ago, Arbys550 said:

"Cheap Day Return" - When you dodge a rev missile, it flies out a window, and somehow circles back in through another window and hits you.

"Silent But Deadly" - When an Archvile targets you but you don't get the flame sprite or sound on you.

But what about "Jon Hamm's staircase"? You missed the most important one!!

Well, I didn't make this up, but because of decino's Doom powerup video I always call the invulnerability a "Jesus Mode." 

1 hour ago, Starduster said:

But what about "Jon Hamm's staircase"? You missed the most important one!!

I have failed you and my ancestors. I am sorry

“God damn it” - when I die because of a thing that kills me

”OH GOD OH FUCK” - when an arch-vile

“Argh” - when I’m playing Plutonia and I keep getting killed by the same trap a billion times

”fuck this game” - when I suck at playing Doom, which is usually

”WHAT!? NO! NO!! NO!!!!1!1 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA” - when I’m 0.00000001 seconds from finally finishing an impossible level and I get cheapshotted by something offscreen

"Last Secret Madness" - Increasing desperation when searching for the last secret. See also, "Last Few Secrets Madness", "Most Secrets Madness", "Any Secrets Madness".

"Storm of Cacodemons" - Too many Cacodemons. I'm probably not the only person to use that particular collective noun for them, but I don't suppose anyone else uses it specifically because of Eye of the Storm. If you disagree that there's such a thing as too many Cacodemons, give it a try, but make sure you have compatibility settings pretty close to vanilla.

"Triple C" - Stands for "Colossal Cacodemon Corpse," specifically ones that keep you from seeing something important.

"Voodoo Arachnotron" - The Arachnotron reskin seen in such wads as Hell Forged and Ancient Aliens.

"Klie Elevators" - A cluster of short elevators that just get in your way. They already appear in id maps like E2M3 and Map12, but it's Christen Klie's overuse of them made me truly despise them.
"Single Barrel Start" - Quake equivalent to a pistol start. Not really a Doom term but I felt like sharing it anyway.

"Dumb bacon" - when i kill pinkie after he annoyed me too much.

"Rocket Launcher time" - when i find Pain Elemental. It's just not Pain Elemental if it does not feel pain.

Edited by Loud Silence

Sock Puppet'd - When 10,000 Angry Revenants fist you until you look like a sock puppet. A surprisingly common occurrence in maps both old and new!

3 Caco Pile-up - When an entourage of hissing tomato blimps block something of import, like a weapon or Soulsphere. Bonus points if you have Infinitely Tall Monsters turned on.

Meatball Pasta - When a Pain Elemental is snuck into a massive wall of Cacos.

Brainsludge - Getting killed because I forgot to save and have to restart.

Search and Destroy - Find a key or switch with no idea where to go next.

Switchback Fever - Walked in a circular route and came back to an area already visited but didn't notice right away.

Return to Sender - Shooting a chaingunner from a distance with the chaingun.

I got names for level types, when I first start playing them - "oh, this is a STARTAN map/cave map/maze map/slaught map/library map/Innmost Dens ripoff etc"

I used to call false walls 'invisible walls' (and have heard other people say that as well), until I realized that that was stupid, of course they're visible, that's the point, it makes the enemies behind invisible, so I started calling them 'see through walls' and realized that wasn't right either.  

And I occasionally say "cybertime?" when I feel there's a cyberdemon encounter coming up (you find a suspiciously large amount of rocket boxes sitting around). 

The Virgin "elastic collisions" VS the Chad "bitch-slap":

EDIT: Just thought of another one.. In a deathmatch, when I fire a bunch of rockets or plasma at another player and every single damn one misses by like an inch, I always ask "Why the FUCK is he like Neo?!", because it reminds me of this famous scene:

Whenever the block map bug decides to visit me I scream: BLOCKMAAAAAP! It happens a fucking lot.

When dealing with pain elementals and lost souls I call them "The pain in the ass elementals" and the "ass souls" like BigMacDavis.

14 hours ago, Sotenga said:

Scythe's first two maps don't give you the Shotgun, although the first one does give you a Chainsaw, at least. 

If you play with solo-net they do. I'm just saying, please don't hate me :)

I call arch-viles 'the Trend' after Paul of Piece Of Pie Software - Maximum Doom has a load of Doom 1 maps converted to Doom 2 format, and one of the changes is to replace a single demon with an arch-vile for some reason (and occasionally it'll be the demon at the start of the level, meaning you'd have to fight it with just the pistol).  And it would happen so many times, a single arch-vile in a weird place, that Paul would be like "oh no, not the Trend again!" or "I see the Trend continues..."

(seen here at 2:20)

"Ugh, for fuck's sake." for when I finally make it to the exit of the level but the map pulls off some dumb bullshit like absurd monster closets or 2 archviles or "SURPRISE, REVENANTS!". Etc.

Healthy or Sturdy enemies are monsters that survive way too much firepower. Like come on baron, that was the 6th SSG blast, just kick the bucket already.

43 minutes ago, rd. said:

Not mine but from @Nevanos: booty blasting is finishing off an infighting cyberdemon with a BFG shot to its rear.

Forgot about that one. I call it "Free Lunch" personally