Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom Zero - launch (and celebrating 25 years of Doom II)

WAD in the old style (relatively few opponents, <150, compact maps). WAD as a whole is of good quality and, perhaps, can be attributed to the list of the best of the existing ones, but if the spirit of the original is present here, then it is conditional / dotted. The local plot and ending, to some extent, cover the fragment that, according to some fans, the updated DOOM 64 release did not cope with.

Settings and other:

* GZDoom.

* Difficulty - "Ultra-Violence".

* I didn't bother with secrets, what I found along the way, that went into the offset.

* 32 levels, 2 of them are secret.

* New boss added.

* Ammo is always in abundance, difficulty is moderate.

* Lots of puzzles and mechanisms.

* There are a lot of lost souls on four maps.

* The option with teleportation of enemies closer to the main character is often used.

* The text of the plot after MAP20 in a peculiar way refers to DOOM 64.

* A new type of opponents appears for the first time on MAP21.

* Some of the textures were taken from Wolfenstein 3D.

Pros / a little about notable maps:

+ Original style. However, it has nothing in common with DOOM II in my opinion.

ec5cd75ebcf26312215f9a30872d1ccf.png

+ MAP06 - The Pits. The player is skipped onto a map with 1 HP. There are 86 opponents on the map and they are located quite close together. 2 factors matter here - they turned back to the player + you can find invulnerability and missiles, which, on the other hand, somewhat levels the map counter. It could be made extremely hardcore with an emphasis on the fact that the player must provoke demons to destroy most of their own kind. Another feature of the map is the ability to activate a secret mechanism which will crush almost all opponents on the map, not including the large spider and two archs.

* MAP10 - Leap Gates. Fewer than 100 opponents, but the map is full of plenty of puzzle combinations.

73136de82482a129501b3c0a9f3ec5b9.png

Somewhere in the distance pain elemental placed and a couple of dozen lost souls. There is a secret in the darkness of the lower levels of this swamp location.

+ MAP11 - Too Close To Home.

9588009e19817b37602af72a924d4ed2.png

Straightforward" map, referring to the urban landscapes of DOOM II. You can find the Fish Easter Egg from Commander Keen.

77038cfcaf2b6766ab389f48db216883.png

Here you will meet the cyberdemon for the first time and the second (?) time in the pack you can find the BFG.

+ MAP12 - Underland. A compact map inspired by the third episode of the original DOOM. There are few enemies, but the placement of those makes the map dangerous.

+ MAP13 - Tease. A puzzle map, also in the style of the third episode, 69 opponents, which can increase to 100+ due to lost souls.

+ MAP15 - Peak Facility. Moderately compact map, which is somewhat similar to the mountain landscapes from DOOM II. Protected by Archvil.

1f61b01e4413326d4cac563ad75530b8.png

Through the window you can get to the teleport and then to the exit to the secret level 31.

+ MAP31 - Meat. Secret, meaty, in every sense, level. The local architecture directly copied the original elements in places.

f9bc64eedc8be6425f81505f442150eb.png

A familiar landscape.

a7b73f9e959473c174dcf6bb97385bf4.png

There are two exits from level 31. One for regular MAP16. Another on secret MAP32.

+ MAP32 - Dark Roof. Only 2 opponents and 2 secrets... And the melancholic melody familiar from DOOM Eternal.

* On MAP18 - Atom Transporter, you can find a secret with a big spider.

c1f0b4e03f25799821f6353dcbf187f9.png

+ MAP20 - Familiar Face. At first glance, 0 enemies and 4 secrets. But the level has a few tricks...

82695eddd0ffb3b53ccb700c72d4a3c9.png

Hint. At the end of the level enemies spawn endlessly. It is useless to destroy them from above. You need to go down and after a while a passage to the teleport will open on the right. Until that moment you need to stay alive. You will need to kill ~ 15 opponents.

* On MAP24 you can find a secret with cyberdemon, invincibility and BFG.

* On MAP26 you can kill a cyberdemon using a telefrag. To do this, you need to enter 1 of 4 teleports, which leads to a secret location, and go back (in GZDoom on the map it is marked with a slightly different color).

* On MAP27 your hero enter with 1-3 HP. Most opponents at the level can be crushed with a press.

* At the end of MAP28 you can arrange the classic battle between a large spider (mastermind) and a cyberdemon. In my case the first one won.

* MAP31. To destroy the final boss you need to hit a fragment of that one about 5-6 times, taking into account the fact that the hits are done by the rockets.

Contras:

On some maps annoying combinations of switches available. You need to press them consistently.

40 minutes ago, UnknDoomer said:

+ Original style. However, it has nothing in common with DOOM II in my opinion.

Thanks god mappers are starting to move away from the messy look and layout Doom 2 had ;)

After 27 years of mapping, i think its about time to leave the diapers and start developeing their new ideas for Doom, and make it a new standar, maybe.
That would lead mappers to new ways of mapping.

Map28: Suspension is a great vanilla achievement: interconnected areas, windows tat let you peek into other areas, constant fire and perfect monster placement.
ohhhh it would be soo cooool if the doom mappers of these times could create big, fully interconnected maps with great atmosphere like that one.

And if the action could be in another planet, like Saturn, and instead of demon, they are just aliens from a different dimension, maybe with just some cultural references from recent time on it, that could be great for sure!

Edited by P41R47

Sorry for the double post.

@DASI-I i finished testing DZ v2.0, and aside from a few tiny and hard to spot slime trails, i didn't found anything bad or game breaking :)

Only thing i have in mind since i replayed it is map32: Dark Roof. I really like the atmosphere and the intention of that map, but why not expand it a little into something like Plutonia's map32: Go 2 It.

Most people who know me will think that my acount may be hacked or something as, in fact, i didn't like Plutonia way of designing and ''kinda'' slaughter maps like that.
But i really like what the Casali did with the reskining and expanding on the layout of that map as, even when it is the very first map of Doom 2, it doesn't seems like it at all.
This is just a suggestion, as i think that a great challenge for those who tried hard to reach map32 would be interesting and rewarding.
As it is right now, is no bigger treat than Doom 2's map20: Gotcha! :/

Aside from that, the bugtesting was succeful and there is nothing to say about.
The new little details add to your style of mapping, and the hints are now clearer as a bright sky.

How to install Doom zero mod? 

I have Doom zero on steam as well as Doom 2. I have a file of Doom zero mod but I don't know what to do with it. :-(

2 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

How to install Doom zero mod? 

I have Doom zero on steam as well as Doom 2. I have a file of Doom zero mod but I don't know what to do with it. :-(

if you have the new port on steam, you can play it right out of the box as it is an official addon.

You don't need to download it from any external site.

23 hours ago, P41R47 said:

if you have the new port on steam, you can play it right out of the box as it is an official addon.

You don't need to download it from any external site.

Where and How to have the new port for Steam?

I can play DOOM zero, but it's just DOOM zero, the normal version. I want the mod with it. 

Image 22.png

26 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

1)Where and How to have the new port for Steam?

2)I can play DOOM zero, but it's just DOOM zero, the normal version. I want the mod with it. 

1)Forget about the zip you downloaded, you don't need it if you officially purchased Doom on steam.

The new port is the default on steam, so open up steam, launch Doom from there, and the new classic port will be there.

Just select addons,  and Doom Zero, along other official addons will be there.

2)What do you mean by you can already play it?

The Doom Zero you downloaded as a zip is the same as the one that comes with steam.

The zip version is for those that don't use steam, there are no difference between them.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

I understand everything you say. I wanted to play Doom zero with a kinda brutal Doom style. I think there is one available. If not, would like to play brutal DOOM v3. There is not such a version on Steam when I play ''The ultimate DOOM''. 

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

1)Forget about the zip you downloaded, you don't need it if you officially purchased Doom on steam.

The new port is the default on steam, so open up steam, launch Doom from there, and the new classic port will be there.

Just select addons,  and Doom Zero, along other official addons will be there.

The Doom Zero you downloaded as a zip is the same as the one that comes with steam.

The zip version is for those that don't use steam, there are no difference between them.

Ho wait. I think I found it.

Image 23.png

4 hours ago, bipolarmaximus said:

I wanted to play Doom zero with a kinda brutal Doom style.

I feel like a broken record 🙃 But I'll do my duty to remind people that Doom Zero is its own mod and NOT JUST a mappack, therefore it is not compatible with other mods like brutal Doom. Other mods will break Doom Zero.

7 hours ago, DASI-I said:

I feel like a broken record 🙃 But I'll do my duty to remind people that Doom Zero is its own mod and NOT JUST a mappack, therefore it is not compatible with other mods like brutal Doom. Other mods will break Doom Zero.

You could always make a separate version without the modded parts a la Valiant Vaccinated Edition.

17 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

You could always make a separate version without the modded parts a la Valiant Vaccinated Edition.

Mmm, changing the Alpha Soul for Cacodemons could had a little unbalancing impact on the ammo per map, but the biggest problem, i think, would be to achieve the same effect on map29: The Rematch with just the Romero's Head and the Commander Keen... and the tall blue torch... :/

The final map with the Demon Witch will had to be completely reworked for something like Doom Zero: UnZeroing DeHacks Edition.

6 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Mmm, changing the Alpha Soul for Cacodemons could had a little unbalancing impact on the ammo per map, but the biggest problem, i think, would be to achieve the same effect on map29: The Rematch with just the Romero's Head and the Commander Keen... and the tall blue torch... :/

The maps with the Demon Witch will had to be completely reworked for something like Doom Zero: UnZeroing Hacks Edition

Doesn't have to be cacodemons. Valiant replaces... well, Valiant, with a Cyberdemon at the end. You could probably replace them with an imp (or maybe two). Obviously this wouldn't be identical but neither is Valiant Vaccinated Edition. As for the custom sprites you could probably replace unused DEHACKED things -- there's two off the top of my head.

19 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Doesn't have to be cacodemons. Valiant replaces... well, Valiant, with a Cyberdemon at the end. You could probably replace them with an imp (or maybe two). Obviously this wouldn't be identical but neither is Valiant Vaccinated Edition. As for the custom sprites you could probably replace unused DEHACKED things -- there's two off the top of my head.

Aside from the good suggestion you make, i think that it would depart from the intention and experience Doom Zero tries to offer.

Its like if you remove the dehacked patches from STRAIN or REKKR, its kinda meaningless as they were designed with those changes in mind.

The main focus of those mapsets and also Doom Zero is their vanilla compatibility, making them playable on the original .exe.

2 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Aside from the good suggestion you make, i think that it would depart from the intention and experience Doom Zero tries to offer.

Its like if you remove the dehacked patches from STRAIN or REKKR, its kinda meaningless as they were designed with those changes in mind.

The main focus of those mapsets and also Doom Zero is their vanilla compatibility, making them playable on the original .exe.

I'm not suggesting to change Doom Zero, I'm suggesting an additional version for mod compatibility. Doing that changes nothing about vanilla compatibility.

On 2/8/2021 at 6:25 PM, maxmanium said:

I'm not suggesting to change Doom Zero, I'm suggesting an additional version for mod compatibility. Doing that changes nothing about vanilla compatibility.

Removing the modded aspects of a mod is something I will never do. Case closed. Sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sometimes players just need to accept that some megawads will never work with their favorite mods like Brutal Doom, and that they shouldn't expect modders to always accommodate these desires anymore than players should expect all mods to be vanilla compatible. Both are unreasonable.

I made a discord update post of some of the changes to Doom Zero version 2.2. These changes are thanks to the recent feedback I got from players.
(For those that already subscribed to our discord, just head over to the doom zero thread. For the rest, go to this link first:
https://discord.gg/tVm5T9Yrhw )

Edited by DASI-I

Well I almost finished the whole campaign I gotta say one thing: OUTSTANDING JOB!

This is now my favourite MEGA WAD, or at least, it's sharing the top of the tops of all the best maps I played.

I love it so much that it's really hard to put all the thoughs together to underline the most notable aspects. I've decided to compress my thoughts to just a few.

First of all however I need to say something about my setup. It's Brutal Doom - ALWAYS! I know you didn't design that WAD for any mods, but hey - that's me ;-) I play the vanilla doom (or any purist type ports) VERY, VERY rarely. So monsters in my case are faster and stronger then normal and they feature new types of attacks. I know that having Brutal Doom on, eliminates some of the special new monsters you desgined, but I can't help it - Brutal Doom is my standard approach and it won't change (don't wanna get into any firefights with the purists).

- So first and most important: The feeling, the atmosphere that truelly captures the spirit of the original Doom1/2. The is absolutely a number one argument for this awesome set of maps.

- the combination of typical Doom 1/2 type of fight with plenty of new very well designed puzzles that give me the feeling of the Tomb Raider approach.

The maps are so good I really was getting that enticement to replay as many times as I could to walkthrough some puzzles or firefights. Whenever I got stuck I was trying to figure out what I can do to survive. Usually you left some options to tackle it and I learnt it.

You really gave me so much fun! I will definitely replay some of the maps where I couldn't solve some puzzles. And that's another argument for this set of maps. Some puzzles were difficult but not obligatory to get solved. Great decission! This allows me to progress but automatically generates that urge to replay - even later on.

THUMBS UP!

10 hours ago, DASI-I said:

Here's an update of some of the changes to Doom Zero version 2.2. These changes are thanks to the recent feedback I got from players.

https://discord.com/channels/803876588252823572/804047333221597234

Um, link doesn't go anywhere.

10 hours ago, DASI-I said:

Removing the modded aspects of a mod is something I will never do. Case closed. Sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sometimes players just need to accept that some megawads will never work with their favorite mods like Brutal Doom, and that they shouldn't expect modders to always accommodate these desires anymore than players should expect all mods to be vanilla compatible. Both are unreasonable.

I mean, I'd offer to do it for you, but I get if you don't want it.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:53 PM, maxmanium said:

Um, link doesn't go anywhere.

Fixed. Thanks.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:53 PM, maxmanium said:

I mean, I'd offer to do it for you, but I get if you don't want it.

Thanks, but yeah, having such a version would miss the point of what Doom Zero is supposed to be.

Just finished this Map set.

Awesome work!!!!!  Really loved the way floor levels were used to expand the size and shape of the map.  Really learned something from playing it.  Not too hard, but some sections gave me fits.

First 32 map Wad replacement I've finished all the way through in a long time.

On 2/16/2021 at 6:16 AM, spaztacus said:

First 32 map Wad replacement I've finished all the way through in a long time.

Glad you enjoyed it 😊

Is there a patch to restore the vanilla weapon animations? I tried messing around with it in WhackEd, but I couldn't get anything to work.

57 minutes ago, Firebert said:

Is there a patch to restore the vanilla weapon animations? I tried messing around with it in WhackEd, but I couldn't get anything to work.

they are the vanilla weapons animations :/

Their animation frames are tweaked to look slighty different.

Is there a reason for you wanting to remove the tweaks made?

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

they are the vanilla weapons animations :/

Their animation frames are tweaked to look slighty different.

Is there a reason for you wanting to remove the tweaks made?

I'll look at it again today, Thanks

But mainly, the new punch animation just messes with my timing. Less so the guns, but still.

1 hour ago, Firebert said:

But mainly, the new punch animation just messes with my timing.

The new animation like really swift punch introduced on 2.1?

Yeah i don't like it either, i prefer the one on 2.0.

But i don't understand how they mess with your timing, pal!

The range, behaviour, angle of the sprites, everything is the same as vanilla.

Only thing that are tweaked are the times of the frames during the animation:

-Punch, it comes out faster and then stayed a bit on the hitted point and come back faster. It was really cool and far more acurrated to the original.

-Pistol has improved handling on the animation times to feel a lot more fluid. All the graphics were on the original game, but they were poorly timed.

-Shotgun, it only has the shooting time halved, and the muzzle flash halved, every other frame is compensated to work as the original.

-SSG, improved reloading animation how? just changing the order of the original frames. The muzzle flash is also halved.

-Chaingun, is now spins at the same rate of the firing sound, nothing more.

-Rocket launcher, i didn't perceived any tweak, but surely there some tweak on it.

-Plama Gun, it has a new sprite, and its the only weapon that has it original behaviour altered as it doesn't have the cool down animation anymore.

-BFG, tweaked the frames to be better animated and more fluid, and not that blocky as in the original.

-Chainsaw, it trembles up and down when you are chansawning something, nothing else is touched.

Every tweaked frames are still under the animation time of the vanilla weapons, thats why they look different, because DASI-I kinda made a soft smooth weapons mod for it.

3 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

But i don't understand how they mess with your timing, pal!

I'm just saying, even every parameters are the same, different animations definitely mess up all the feeling you got so far. Probably you're not sensitive to this, but it could happen to people who are more sensitive to minor changes.

3 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I'm just saying, even every parameters are the same, different animations definitely mess up all the feeling you got so far. Probably you're not sensitive to this, but it could happen to people who are more sensitive to minor changes.

Apologize, i read timing, but my head understood aiming.

The new punch is, indeed, kinda shitty, though :/

About what you said, well, yes, i suppose there is an adaptation time to new things.

Pretty much like when one play Smooth Doom for the firs time, i think.

Alright, heres a DeHackEd patch that restores the weapon animations.

EDIT: I fixed the chainsaw firing half as fast, and I now included vanilla sound effects for monsters and the vanilla Chaingun Guy animation.

EDIT 2: The Plasma Rifle now has a vanilla styled firing animation.

DoomZero_VanillaAnimSFX.zip

Edited by Firebert : Update 3: The Plasma Rifle now has a vanilla styled firing animation.

does anyone have old versions of Doom Zero?

I would like to archive some for checking the differences between version.