Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Pictures of the to-be-released ATI RV350 and R350

Go here RV350 (lower clocked card, the V stands for value) on the left, and the high end R350 on the right. Notice that now they're using a 4 pin power connector instead of the small connector they used from the R300? Hmm I guess this means it's gonna draw a lot more power. Also, it's interesting to note the RV350 is going to be .13 and the R300 will be on the older .15. This is so that ATI won't have any issues with their top end card, and can iron out the problems they have with .13 on the RV350, for their next card. Nvidia decided to go for the whole thing and use .13 without any market testing and look what happened with the FX 5800, a distaster. ATI definately has their shit together.

I'd rather suggest you to read the rule about posting images once again, the size of the image has exceeded the limit of the rule of posting images.

999cop, I think that is for directly posted pictures. Clicking on a link to a picture is different in that it does not interfere with reading the thread. A person can simply close the link.

uhmm...
.13 micron is cheaper to produce, reduces the heat and consumes less power. nVIDIA had some problems adjusting to this manufacturing process, so the card got delayed.

What is this disaster of which you speak?

FirebrandX said:

999cop, I think that is for directly posted pictures. Clicking on a link to a picture is different in that it does not interfere with reading the thread. A person can simply close the link.

I changed it to a link instead of the picture which screwed up the forum macvilewhore style.

999cop said:

I'd rather suggest you to read the rule about posting images once again, the size of the image has exceeded the limit of the rule of posting images.

Why does that matter anyway?

Shaviro said:

uhmm...
.13 micron is cheaper to produce, reduces the heat and consumes less power. nVIDIA had some problems adjusting to this manufacturing process, so the card got delayed.

What is this disaster of which you speak?

The Radeon 9700 pro came out last summer. The Geforce FX 5800 Ultra just came out and in most tests is side by side or behind the 9700 pro. ATI is doing the smart thing and releasing a card based on tech they know that works and releasing their value card on the lower die size to experiment so that they don't fuck up their next best card like Nvidia did. Understand?

Alientank said:

The Radeon 9700 pro came out last summer. The Geforce FX 5800 Ultra just came out and in most tests is side by side or behind the 9700 pro. ATI is doing the smart thing and releasing a card based on tech they know that works and releasing their value card on the lower die size to experiment so that they don't fuck up their next best card like Nvidia did. Understand?

What are you talking about? 'new' tech? The NV30 works just fine. nVIDIA didn't expect the R300 to be so fast. THAT is why NV30 is only a margin faster than R300.

Shaviro said:

What are you talking about? 'new' tech? The NV30 works just fine. nVIDIA didn't expect the R300 to be so fast. THAT is why NV30 is only a margin faster than R300.

Ummm .13 micron VIDEO CARDS is new to the industry. Hence it being NEW! The NV30 is a decent card, but is rediculously loud, and has a vacuum strapped to the back of it to make it somewhat competitive with the R300, also it isn't always a margin faster. In a lot of the tests it was slower then the R300 was. Also I wouldn't say the NV30 is in competition with the R300. Think about it, the 100,000 NV30's that are made are going for $400 USD, while if you check out the R300 they're going for more then $100 less with the same, or even better performance then the NV30. The extra 2 or 3 fps the NV30 might get out of a game over the R300 doesn't justify an extra $100. Well not to me atleast, maybe to you.

Is the NV30 the model that requires an industrial-strength jet engine fan to keep the card cool? Whatever the card is that requires the ridiculous level of cooling, it's a ridiculous flop of a video card that will be remembered as one of the most forgettable for years to come.

Alientank said:

Ummm .13 micron VIDEO CARDS is new to the industry.

Congratulations. ATi has to go that way too sometime.

The NV30 is a decent card, but is rediculously loud

You are referring to the nVIDIA reference card. The default card you can buy will be ~30 db. NV30 may not be the best released card ever. Hell. It's not even a good release, but still it is not a total disaster for nVIDIA. They are now able to manufacture .13 micron cards and are focusing on the NV35 now. nVIDIA makes the money on mainstream cards, not high-end cards like the 5800 ULTRA.

Shaviro said:

Congratulations. ATi has to go that way too sometime.

[B]

You are referring to the nVIDIA reference card. The default card you can buy will be ~30 db. NV30 may not be the best released card ever. Hell. It's not even a good release, but still it is not a total disaster for nVIDIA. They are now able to manufacture .13 micron cards and are focusing on the NV35 now. nVIDIA makes the money on mainstream cards, not high-end cards like the 5800 ULTRA.

As I just said they already have gone that way with the RV350, please read my statements before going ahead and making accusations they haven't done that yet. Also what is this less then 30 DB crap? The Radeon 9700 pro makes more then that, hell, the Geforce 4 line makes more then that. The 5800 Ultra RETAIL card has already been sent to anandtech and tomshardware both measured it over 70 DB.

Alientank said:

The 5800 Ultra RETAIL card has already been sent to anandtech and tomshardware both measured it over 70 DB.

The Gainward card is at 7 dB (YES!! 7)
The Chaintech card is at 30 dB

Shaviro said:

The Chaintech card is at 30 dB

Provide me with a link to a site that has done the review, not just hearsay.

Shaviro said:

I saw that somewhere - but at £449 guarantees it will not be in my PC.

GS-1719 said:

I saw that somewhere - but at £449 guarantees it will not be in my PC.

HOLY SHIT! That's like 900 american. Not worth it IMO

The 9500 Pro beats all cards available in the market, hands down. It's got performance that's par with TI4600's (if not better) and all the features at TI4200's price.

Alientank said:

HOLY SHIT! That's like 900 american. Not worth it IMO

There's roughly $1.60 to the £, not $2.00, so it's more like $718. Still a lot though :)

NiGHTMARE said:

There's roughly $1.60 to the £, not $2.00, so it's more like $718. Still a lot though :)

Ya I know I'm just too lazy to go figure it out

spank said:

The 9500 Pro beats all cards available in the market, hands down. It's got performance that's par with TI4600's (if not better) and all the features at TI4200's price.

Not to mention the fact that you can upgrade Radeon 9500 cards to almost 9700 level by moving one little compenent on the card.

AndrewB said:

Not to mention the fact that you can upgrade Radeon 9500 cards to almost 9700 level by moving one little compenent on the card.

The regular Radeon 9500 has one crucial difference compared to the Radeon 9500 Pro. This page explains the difference, but to sum it up:

"Then there's the Radeon 9500 (non-Pro) which also has the reduction in memory bandwidth, but along with that it also loses half of its rendering pipelines. This makes the regular Radeon 9500 a significantly worse performer as it still only has one texture unit per pipeline, giving it a disadvantage when compared to the GeForce4."