Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

1 hour ago, Havok said:

Does Doom 64 have lots of elevation changes and stairs, etc like Doom II? Whenever I watch a YouTube video about Doom 64 all I ever see is flat areas with basic  square shaped rooms.

I'd say it's not so flat that you'd notice it while playing unless you're carefully looking for something to criticize. It's fine.

Doom 64's main problem with the level design is the switch hunt.

I'm happy with lost souls have 100HP and not lower than that, especially after playing Sunlust. Because i prefer Pain Elementals keep being a very annoying enemy who players always want to kill as soon as possible before they start infighting and spawning shitty amount of Lost Souls.

If we lower Lost Soul's health just like in Valiant-- for example, i feel Pain Elementals would be a "less-fun to deal with" enemy

15 hours ago, Havok said:

Does Doom 64 have lots of elevation changes and stairs, etc like Doom II? Whenever I watch a YouTube video about Doom 64 all I ever see is flat areas with basic  square shaped rooms.

There are notable height differences throughout the campaign, but it's overall flatter than Doom 1 or 2. This has to do with the code (lifted from the Jaguar version) which didn't handle tall sectors well.

I still unironically like D_BETWEE to this day.

In fact, if you regard The Focus as a - let's say - "unofficial throwback map", it makes perfect sense. The theme sort of recalls Doom's techbase maps, while the MIDI sounds something that could come from Wolfenstein 3D.

1.  I really like Eternal's lore and plot. I think the flashback where Doomguy was ranting about ripping and tearing was an awesome way to show how years of fighting in Hell had driven him insane. 

2. The only good music in new Doom is the "RIP and Tear" chorus of Gladiator,  and the whole soundtrack should have been like that, or at least more high pitched metal songs.

3. I love the layout of the city maps in Doom 2. Texture wise they don't look like buildings, but I think they're still really fun to play through. 

Edited by SSG

14 hours ago, SSG said:

3. I love the layout of the city maps in Doom 2. Texture wise they don't look like buildings, but I think they're still really fun to play through. 

Yeah, they are more like big cardboard boxes that you can RIP and TEAR.

I'm a big fan of thin ledges. Especially when you have to deal with projectile shooting enemies like Imps or Cacodemons. I think it creates an interesting challenge where you not only have to focus on avoiding the projectiles but also have to focus on the environment so you don't fall of.

The WolfSS Nazi is a good addition to Doom 2's bestiary because it has a square, manly chin, and it should be used in more mapsets.

On 2/8/2021 at 1:06 PM, SSG said:

1.  I really like Eternal's lore and plot. I think the flashback where Doomguy was ranting about ripping and tearing was an awesome way to show how years of fighting in Hell had driven him insane. 

2. The only good music in new Doom is the "RIP and Tear" chorus of Gladiator,  and the whole soundtrack should have been like that, or at least more high pitched metal songs.

I can totally see where you're coming from. I thought that flashback was super corny, to the point of being cringy, but it does show how being in Hell for so long has taken a toll on him. And although I disagree with your opinion on the soundtrack, I understand what you mean. Gladiator definitely stands out, and felt way more intense than the other songs. Personally, I can't enjoy Gladiator by listening to it outside of the game, but the boss fight was really fast-paced and kept me on my toes, so the song totally matched.

18 hours ago, Maes said:

The WolfSS Nazi is a good addition to Doom 2's bestiary because it has a square, manly chin, and it should be used in more mapsets.

I like it because it's a Nazi and it's fun to kill Nazis. I'm currently making a map pack (my first one) that has plenty o' them Nazis in it, and I've been messing around with them a lot to figure out how to properly fit them into large fights. So REJOICE, as thy savior hath come! I shall summon hordes of Nazis to die painful deaths at your hands!

3 minutes ago, Archfiend said:

ISo REJOICE, as thy savior hath come! I shall summon hordes of Nazis to die painful deaths at your hands!

Jawhol, mein Furzer!

On 2/10/2021 at 1:30 PM, Maes said:

Honestly though I do get a bit annoyed when people play a map and they declare it a shit map because the author used a Wolf3D door texture and some SS men here and there.  If they're used creatively then I don't see why not, I get that it's a little weird and surreal to see in a Doom level, but honestly, those can be some of the best and most memorable; better that then playing 100 billion generic E1 techbases with the exact same look and mood.

SS fit that nice niche of being more dangerous than Riflemen without dropping weapons. Nice for when you don't want to give the player the direct upgrade to pistol just yet. The relatively low damage also means that they can't get out of hand quite like Chaingunners, so you can add more nazis, wohoo!

Yeah, I can't imagine many people hold the Wolf3D secret maps in high regard.

I'd rank the secret level quality in the IWADs as Plutonia > TNT > Doom 1 > Doom 2.

22 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Yeah, I can't imagine many people hold the Wolf3D secret maps in high regard.

I have a real soft spot for silly gimmicks like these.  It probably would've been better if they'd found a creative way to use their old Wolf3D textures and silly little nerfed SS men to make a real level instead of just stealing one from the original.

My favorite IWAD secret levels are probably either Pharaoh or Warrens--again, each with a kind of gimmicky concept around it, but actually with some effort applied.  Also appreciate Go 2 It where the gimmick is just being an insane clusterfuck (and I guess its resemblance to Entryway; thankful they didn't have D_RUNNIN playing too), kind of like the Pyramid of the Forbidden in Commander Keen 4 but without the awesome joke ending.  Secret levels like Military Base and Fear leave me empty because they're kind of just...more levels, in my mind, without much to really separate them from the rest thematically.  Even Fortress of Mystery is mildly interesting as a concept.

Honestly I am not too fond of the secret maps of Ultimate Doom either.

I mean, Doom 2's are plain throwback levels to Wolf3D, but at least they were more fun to play and didn't feel like complete fillers at times. Fortress of Mystery, for instance? I can never see that map as something more than just filler.

I did like the fake E3M9 though, but that is the only exception for me. I take Wolfie easter eggs over UDoom's secret maps any day. Similarly, TNT and Plutonia both had way better secret maps than UDoom did overall.

On 2/11/2021 at 2:20 PM, StupidBunny said:

Honestly though I do get a bit annoyed when people play a map and they declare it a shit map because the author used a Wolf3D door texture and some SS men here and there.  If they're used creatively then I don't see why not, I get that it's a little weird and surreal to see in a Doom level, but honestly, those can be some of the best and most memorable;

Wait, do people actually hate on maps just for having Wolf3D stuff in them? Why? I'm kinda worried now, because I'm making a map pack that will have tons of Nazis in the later levels. I spent a lot of time learning what roles they can play in fights, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and how to make them fun to deal with. Hell, I'm trying to design most fights in a way that makes people want to kill the Nazis before doing anything else. Though I'm not gonna change my plans for this map pack, unless I find a valid reason as to why killing Nazis somehow isn't fun.

@Archfiend no keep it up, I will play the shit out of your maps.

I don't know if it's still the case that people react this way...I think it's partly a matter of the bandwagoning effect where some people complain that WOLF3D resources felt out of place in a map, and then it became kind of a dogma that you just don't use them in a serious Doom map.  Now, it is true that they do feel out of place in a regular Doom map, but that doesn't make it wrong--more to the point, it shouldn't stop anybody from trying to use them, especially if they've put some creativity or thought into how they're using them which it seems you have.

And don't think I'll be the only one who's into it.  This community overall is pretty chill and appreciates trying something new and different for the most part.  And if a couple people decide they hate your maps for dumb reasons then that's nothing to really worry about anyway.

@StupidBunny Alright, that's reassuring. Although I've played DOOM for a while, I haven't been on Doomworld for very long, so I wasn't sure how open-minded most of the community was to this kinda thing. Also, you said that you love silly gimmicks, and I was hoping to have a lot of those in my map pack. A lot of my ideas go against what most players enjoy (like constant intermission screens), but I hope I can implement them in a way that people might find cool.

I've got some very gimmicky level ideas. In the first level, there's a total of 16 shotgun shells scattered around (including the hidden shotgun pickup) and no other ammo. There's a Berserk pack right on top of the spawnpoint, so you can't avoid it. There's one fight in the level, since it's a pretty small level. The shotgun can balance the fight a little, but it can't be used to get through the fight. That's because it consists of 2 hell knights, 3 pigs, and 5 imps. It's pretty damn difficult, but if you learn the mechanics of a Berserked fist, it makes the fight really fun. The gimmick spices up the action, which is exactly what I'm going for in this pack. In order to succeed at the fight, I had to learn how to time punches and how to bait enemy attacks. There's also a semi-hidden chainsaw, but it's not very useful in this fight and is mainly there for looks. And I've got a lot more gimmicks planned, but there shouldn't be anything tedious that interrupts the flow.

It's pretty ambitious for my first map pack, but I definitely know what makes a fun battle in DOOM, so I think it'll be enjoyable. The first level sure as hell is, in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Archfiend said:

I haven't been on Doomworld for very long, so I wasn't sure how open-minded most of the community was to this kinda thing.

Don't worry too much, man. While people aren't afraid to share their opinion on here, they'll also do so with respect. Arguments tend to be civil for the most part and very rarely will you run into a jackass here who uses their opinion as a baton and beat you around the head with it. Doomworlders are nice folks :^)

10 hours ago, Archfiend said:

Wait, do people actually hate on maps just for having Wolf3D stuff in them? Why? I'm kinda worried now, because I'm making a map pack that will have tons of Nazis in the later levels. I spent a lot of time learning what roles they can play in fights, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and how to make them fun to deal with. Hell, I'm trying to design most fights in a way that makes people want to kill the Nazis before doing anything else. Though I'm not gonna change my plans for this map pack, unless I find a valid reason as to why killing Nazis somehow isn't fun.

Not sure why this phenomenom is so widespread either, Wolf3D textures can be used well (for example, Mars War MAP09) and the SS is a valid enemy, serving an important role as a weaker chaingunner.

23 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

Not sure why this phenomenom is so widespread either, Wolf3D textures can be used well (for example, Mars War MAP09) and the SS is a valid enemy, serving an important role as a weaker chaingunner.

I think most of the damage was done by George Fiffy's (aka King REoL) WolfenDoom and similar maps, as well as later crap like Nazi Auferstehung.

now that I've got just over a year under my belt, the only changes I'd make to gameplay is quicker weapon switching, 8 pellets per shotgun shot, faster chaingun, and *MAYBE* knock lost soul HP down to 75-80, center the weapon sprites better

and a different SSG sprite because the shading on the right barrel is so off to me and asymmetric

4 minutes ago, DOEL said:

now that I've got just over a year under my belt, the only changes I'd make to gameplay is quicker weapon switching, 8 pellets per shotgun shot, faster chaingun, and *MAYBE* knock lost soul HP down to 75-80, center the weapon sprites better

These are pretty good changes and probably what I would in a balance patch as well. I really wish id had made weapon switching faster.

Doom 2 is the least enjoyable game out of the original 4 IWADS. It's wayyy to complicated for its own good to be enjoyable.