Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Doomworld Maximum Project 2021 - On IdGames!

Wow, I forgot the basic map information. :/

Updated textures version: khufu.zip

(I'm not sure if we are allowed to use different skies when it says not to use resources that replaces Doom 2 textures so I left it in the WAD just in case).

MAP INFO:

• Name: Khufu's Horizon
  • Play: Single and cooperative
  • Comp: Limit removing / -complevel 2
  • MIDI: Outstretch of Sin by David Shaw
  • Tested: PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4

SCREENSHOT:

Spoiler

khufu_screenshot.png.66c9e572bac8769028f73d70df07a4ee.png

Edited by Scorpius : added screenshot

Yes! Finally!

Sing me up, I've been waiting for a project like this for a long-long time!

Edited by Ninehills42 : typo

Here's my submission!

Noroi ("Curse" in Japanese)

MAP01 replacement for Doom 2

Author: DoctorNuriel

Tested in: GZDoom

Multiplayer support: co-op only

Size: Small

////

Noroi is a small setpiece map inspired by Japanese architecture and folklore! Very basic layout and short playtime (no more than 5min): intended as a simple challenge map for traditional play (no jumping, crouching).

Screenshot_Doom_20210217_182804.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210217_182822.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210217_182834.png

yureimap01_noroi.zip

Edited by DoctorNuriel

Err, when it comes to custom music, are we allowed to use a DOOM II file name, or should we use another way for our tune to play?

I've basically completed a replacement for D_ROMERO, but I just realised that this counts as a DOOM II resource as well.

I'm unlikely to have a chance to do more than roll ideas around until March at the earliest, but go ahead and put me down for this, please.  Something in Boom format most likely.

On 2/18/2021 at 11:51 PM, Ofisil said:

Err, when it comes to custom music, are we allowed to use a DOOM II file name, or should we use another way for our tune to play?

I've basically completed a replacement for D_ROMERO, but I just realised that this counts as a DOOM II resource as well.

Not 100% sure if I follow, but if you're asking how to have your music played in your map I'd just suggest renaming the piece D_RUNNIN. I'll be renaming them all in the compilation, so it's all good.

Alright, feedback!

This Place is Death@MidnightMage

This one was a tad difficult for me, so I enlisted the help of @rd. to get some feedback (thanks heaps RD!). Here's what they had to say.

Spoiler

I would make the BFG area easier to spot, with lighting contrast or putting the BFG up on a small stick so it's visible through the grating -- or something. I actually managed to miss that entirely the 1st time I got through the map.
it does a good job of being terrifying and tense without foreknowledge, but the hitscanners often in the dark with low HP got irritating tbh. the whole left wing deflated a bit when it became apparent the cyb couldn't see you over there, so more gratings would be a plus. it is possible to silently pacifist your way through like half the map's monster count, but that is not a negative by any means.
the two cybs are generally fantastic and elevate the map to being decently enjoyable on their own. (the latter serves more to just comically infight with the sergeants when you don't know of its existence) here is a concept proof of the map's beatability (also massive overkill wrt beating it -- it's not anywhere as smooth-sailing without full knowledge -- but I kinda like 2-shotting cybs when I don't have to and then wasting cell ammo on other things) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P68R0YWr03M&feature=youtu.be

aesthetically this actually feels a lot like an Isolation map

the lighting and use of the Icon of Sin textures are :thumbsupemoji:

also there should probably be fewer shells and bullets around

you don't really need them unless you're going to kill the cyb early but that also doesn't feel like something you should be expected to do so early (the map is even saying "cells exist so you will get to finish it off with a PR or BFG at some point")

They also recorded a couple of demos outside of the included one: flick a PM their way if you want copies. Hopefully all this helps!

Haunted Asylum - Doom OG

Doom OG sent me their submission via PM and I gave feedback there: the version in the list is an updated one that irons out a couple bugs and has renamed textures to fit the guidelines.

Simpathy@E.M.

I suspect that I'm one of the aforementioned simps: by my estimate this map is a bit out of my skill level by approximately 2000 monsters. :P I do like the aesthetic though, makes me think of Vrack's visual style. If anyone here reckons that they can give some comprehensive gameplay feedback, then I'd encourage you to do so.

Khufu's Horizon - @Scorpius

Nice little map, plays well and has some good texture work going on. I liked the layout as well, but don't think for a moment that I didn't notice the similarities to Crimson Tide from Alien Vendetta: the layouts aren't too hideously similar, but they were similar enough to make me raise an eyebrow and that isn't exactly a good sign. The map's still fine, you don't have to worry about it being rejected or anything, but I do feel that you're having a bit of difficulty carving out your own mapping identity judging by this and the other maps that I've seen you make. Just something to bear in mind.

The MicroCanonical Ensemble - @CarboxylicAcids

This one's another map that keeps kicking my butt, maybe I should hire someone to test these things for me. XP I did have a wander through with no monsters and the map itself looks really good (quite Sunder-esque), although I did notice a couple of bugs:

• The orange platform with 5 cells damages the player: I can only assume that bit was originally part of the damaging liquid below and you forgot to take off the damage effect.
  • On the flipside, the secret in the damaging liquid doesn't itself do any damage. This one can be fixed with the Generalized Effects menu and you can set the sector to have both secret and damaging properties that way.

Beyond that though, looks really good! Apologies for not being able to provide proper gameplay feedback, I'll try to remedy that as time goes on.

Noroi - @DoctorNuriel

Absolutely adoring the vibes here, the surrounding foliage is really well put together and the texture usage helps set the mood of the map perfectly. Gameplay is also decently fun and punchy, although the secret weapons make something of a mockery of the final encounter: decide for yourself whether or not that's a good or a bad thing. :P Not really anything to seriously criticize, really good stuff all around.

Edited by Obsidian : VRACK, NOT WRACK!

31 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

I suspect that I'm one of the aforementioned simps: by my estimate this map is a bit out of my skill level by approximately 2000 monsters. :P I do like the aesthetic though, makes me think of Wrack's visual style. If anyone here reckons that they can give some comprehensive gameplay feedback, then I'd encourage you to do so.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that my map is slaughter-y. Things started off so simple but then I was afflicted by magnum opus syndrome. This also explains the obsessive detailing. I know @Bridgeburner56 makes and plays slaughter maps. Maybe he can test it. I just hope he isn't allergic to anime.

Updated! Thanks for playtesting @Obsidian 

Download Link: TMCEnew.zip   --> Requires cc4-tex and boom compatibility.

-Fixed a misplaced damaging sector.

-Eased the difficulty on UV and all other difficulty settings; replaced some revs with hitscanners/imps instead and removed a couple of hitscanners. 

-Fixed a bug on the final room where some monsters refuse to teleport (for some reason weird reason?)

-Set a generalized effect instead on a secret. 

-Implemented Cooperative gameplay and added a teleporter switch to the final room so other players(in multiplayer) can come in.

-Changed the music to something more fitting.

27 minutes ago, E.M. said:

magnum opus syndrome

Good way to describe my entry at the moment. I'm trying not to, but I do want to leave a mark on this project.

@Obsidian So, my aforementioned entry is complete, but I do want to put it up for playtesting and bug-fixing in a separate forum post for a while, since we have all the time in the world, if that's alright. Giving feedback on my map a separate place to be seems reasonable. :) Let me know what you think and I'll put it up.

18 hours ago, Obsidian said:

I liked the layout as well, but don't think for a moment that I didn't notice the similarities to Crimson Tide from Alien Vendetta: the layouts aren't too hideously similar, but they were similar enough to make me raise an eyebrow and that isn't exactly a good sign.

I never did think anyone wouldn't notice, hence why I stated it in the text file. I know the similarities are obvious but I'm still happy with it regardless.

I do feel that you're having a bit of difficulty carving out your own mapping identity judging by this and the other maps that I've seen you make.

I honestly could not put it better myself, though I'm not sure what you mean by mapping identity. I'm not bad at making maps when I've got other maps as inspiration, but trying to make original maps is nearly impossible for me. Nowadays, I'm too ashamed to even put anything out unless I know it's original to my knowledge.

Interesting premise... at the very least I'd be willing to watch. Not entirely sure if I'll be able to let myself make a map but I guess we'll simply wait and see, eh? Good luck, everyone!

Simpathy@E.M.

I suspect that I'm one of the aforementioned simps: by my estimate this map is a bit out of my skill level by approximately 2000 monsters. :P I do like the aesthetic though, makes me think of Vrack's visual style. If anyone here reckons that they can give some comprehensive gameplay feedback, then I'd encourage you to do so.

I like the music and theme. This was fun. Have an FDA.

- some of the secrets felt like they existed to pad the secret count

- viles in the last fight felt a bit unfair, bc there is no way to know where they are when they are suddenly flung into the environment somewhere

- door-marshalling fights early with the shotgun and chaingun aren't all that engaging

7 hours ago, Scorpius said:

I never did think anyone wouldn't notice, hence why I stated it in the text file. I know the similarities are obvious but I'm still happy with it regardless.

Ah, you've caught me out there: I assumed that the textfile was just the map details, so I didn't actually read it. Apologies if what I said came off as overly aggressive or accusatory.

I honestly could not put it better myself, though I'm not sure what you mean by mapping identity. I'm not bad at making maps when I've got other maps as inspiration, but trying to make original maps is nearly impossible for me. Nowadays, I'm too ashamed to even put anything out unless I know it's original to my knowledge.

No, from what I've seen you have some really good fundamentals when it comes to map design: your maps for MAYhem 2020 and the 64kb Project come to mind as particularly excellent examples. It's just a case of developing your own style, which I think you can definitely do.

From my personal experience, every mapper's style is derivative of someone else's: I was personally inspired by Eternal (and Erik Alm to a lesser extent) and attempted to emulate that style to some degree in some of my early maps. Over time I collected inspiration from a wider pool of mappers and developed preferences in my mapping (a penchant for mechanical trickery, a fondness of gimmicks) that molded what I produced until I eventually had a style to call my very own. It's a process that takes a fair bit of time, but the end result is something that, despite tracing its roots back to the efforts of others, is still fundamentally yours.

Tell you what: maybe you should try some speedmapping. The next ASS should hopefully be happening next weekend if things pan out well, that might be a good little exercise in seeing what you can come up with on the fly.

20 hours ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

@Obsidian So, my aforementioned entry is complete, but I do want to put it up for playtesting and bug-fixing in a separate forum post for a while, since we have all the time in the world, if that's alright. Giving feedback on my map a separate place to be seems reasonable. :) Let me know what you think and I'll put it up.

That's perfectly fine: this project has no aspirations of claiming people's work or anything, so you're free to source feedback or even release the map outside of the project. The decision is up to you. :)

Working on one of the puzzle rooms. Almost there. Basically, there are four switches that need to be toggled in the correct order to solve the puzzle.

image.png.86b5d99657c376662d8546ecee881f58.png

This has entered sector tag hell. Why am I like this?

I was adding Details to Rooms that feel too empty,

well, i've edited in some Forniture in and i swear, it was not itended to make what it now looks like...

I let it, it is only in YOUR Mind! You dirty...!

IMG_20210223_095621_345_1.jpg.65f25154287e827abc91ba387491970e.jpg

@sincity2100 for what port your map intended?

Anyway all the things you guys have made here looks pretty awesome, this year looks like there's a pretty great, high bar of standard with the maps!

I have to complete maps for other projects, but I'll surely do something. A Eternity in Doom style map, just for testing that engine potential. Or for some other rare port, just have to see.

Originally I was thinking to use the Eternal Doom resource pack, but that wad uses sprites and sounds that replaces the original Doom 2 content, so it's not good to use with the existing rules. I'm still thinking about what is the best textures to use between OTEX and CC4-TEX (32 in 24 edit), or even some other texture pack...

Talking about new textures, where you found the one you've used @GratefulName? Looks pretty neat!

3 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Talking about new textures, where you found the one you've used @GratefulName? Looks pretty neat!

I used OTEX

First half of the switch puzzle is done and working. Now all I need to do is copy the mechanics over to the other half of the puzzle and button up the level detail.

Making progress-

Spoiler

ljCznQd.png

l5WhIF0.png

YZ3vntQ.png

oyibLI5.png

pEjZGSE.png

The textures I've used are from Quake, a few textures imported from Doom 1, Romero's unused Doom asset dump, edits I've made of textures from TNT Evilution and Perdition's Gate, Some entirely custom textures, DarkBase textures from Realm667, and Doom 3 Retro textures by hidfan