Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Svperstar

Wasn't there a megawad/project in the style of E1/Knee Deep in the Dead/Marine base themed?

So years ago I remember there was some kind of project or contest to make maps in the style of E1M1 or the whole of Knee Deep in the Dead? I cannot recall the name of the project. 

Anyone know what I mean?

E1 replacements are almost a whole genre, from what I've heard.

That genre is mostly known as ''Tech-base'', and it is one of the most used styles in Doom mapping.

Tagging @P41R47, because I'm pretty damn sure the man can give you a whole list of tech-base/E1 styled WADs. He's a WAD savant. :P

21 minutes ago, Endless said:

That genre is mostly known as ''Tech-base'', and it is one of the most used styles in Doom mapping.

Tagging @P41R47, because I'm pretty damn sure the man can give you a whole list of tech-base/E1 styled WADs. He's a WAD savant. :P

I know what tech-bases are, but I thought they were talking about something specifically trying to imitate Knee Deep In The Dead. 

I suppose if they want a megawad full of techbases, there's BTSX E1.

19 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

I suppose if they want a megawad full of techbases, there's BTSX E1.

Nicolas Monti's body of work is mainly made on Tech-base maps with little variants as Tech cave, Corrupted base, Starport, Alpha Base, and so.

Here are some of his mapsets that may be interesting to check:

-Eviltech: Soul of Megawad

-Mano Laikas: A Road to Gamzatti

-Mass Extinction

-Alpha Centauri

There is also a complete megawad made of Tech base maps. Really good material here:

-Oops! All Tech Base

43 minutes ago, Endless said:

As for this, thanks, i could list a few more tech-base heavy mapsets, but i think the true savant here is our good old @Diabolución as i didn't knew about that project, and its seems to be the one the OP was searching for. :)

Funny project, for sure.
And Romero was the judge.
So the quality is assured.

48 minutes ago, Endless said:

Tech base isn’t the same as imitating Romero’s e1. Tech base is a setting but e1 is a style imo

31 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

So the quality is assured.

Both E1M3 and E2M3 are obviously flawed and unfinished stuff. The former needs an SR-50 jump to the exit as well. E2M1, a good map in my view, requires a “zero press” to obtain legitimately the rocket launcher.

e2m1_e1contest_zeropress.zip

P.S.: I would kill for a bespoke MIDI pack for it.

9 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

Both E1M3 and E2M3 are obviously flawed and unfinished stuff. The former needs an SR-50 jump to the exit as well. E2M1, a good map in my view, requires a “zero press” to obtain legitimately the rocket launcher.

e2m1_e1contest_zeropress.zip

P.S.: I would kill for a bespoke MIDI pack for it.

Well, at least the winners of the contest seems to be pretty good maps. :P

You may be interested in checking this:

I recently attempted to list every complete E1 replacement I know of. Its possible that what you're looking for could be listed in this thread. Unfortunately, it is just a list, and does not have descriptions for each WAD. But it may still help you, or you might find something else you like!

Who knows, maybe it'll jog your memory! :)

Here it is:

Almost everyone just ended up using their maps elsewhere so I don’t think too much actual work was lost.

Oops! All Techbase.

If interested me and mistersector did MAP14. They're all in E1 format plus a few new textures