Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2021 Mentionation Thread

On 1/19/2021 at 1:13 PM, Fatalis said:

I'd really like to try Time Tripper, but does anyone else get an error on launch from GZdoom? Something about a missing string.

Make sure that you have the most recent, up-to-date version of GZDoom.  I learned this bit the hard way.

5 hours ago, StupidBunny said:

Make sure that you have the most recent, up-to-date version of GZDoom.  I learned this bit the hard way.

if you want, you can remove "menusize" and the animated transition flag from MENUDEF and it should work as well. these were added to gzdoom 4.5 and i wound up utilizing them. sadly this makes supporting 32bit builds a little more difficult from here on out...

So far...

+1 for Time Tripper

Honorable Mention for Ascent of Titan (It was done in only a month but impressive for what it was. Though yes I did send feedback to the author some months ago having known him elsewhere)

I haven't gotten around to other new releases yet, but I'll check back fairly regularly.

DOOM 32x: Delta by @Roebloz

A good ROM hack of the 32X version of DooM that brings back the textures and the level layouts. Episode 2 features a new monster in replacement of the cyberdemon and Episode 3 brings back monster infighting, the Icon of Sin and Sigil's first map as a bonus.

@kraflab's DSDA-Doom port (Released mid-november 2020 so fits the rules) is slowly becoming a port of its own right to the point that it is even an enticing option for non-speedrunners alike, now supporting Hexen and Heretic and a huge array of changes.

14 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

@kraflab's DSDA-Doom port (Released mid-november 2020 so fits the rules) is slowly becoming a port of its own right to the point that it is even an enticing option for non-speedrunners alike, now supporting Hexen and Heretic and a huge array of changes.

Little correction, it only supports Heretic for now :)

5 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Little correction, it only supports Heretic for now :)

Its very very almost! By the time this gets a Cacoward, surely it will support it ;)

By @JudgeDeadd - Tribute to the Lamplighter is an awesome looking map with the perfect music and enjoyable game play. Wonderful map here, definitely deserves consideration.

On 2/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, Redneckerz said:

Due credit to @fabian, too, for his role as de facto maintainer of PrBoom+. Between the two, there have been more features and quality of life improvements in the past few months than there have been in years.

An Espi Award for Jim Valavanis @jval. As a Pascal programmer, he has been developing a lot of DOOM-related stuff, from his trademark source port DelphiDoom and its sister FPCDoom, to a reimplementation of Radix: Beyond the Void (playable, with sporadical update) and In Pursuit of Greed (currently incomplete), to unique and helpful modding programs such as the Voxel Editor, Terrain Generator, and more recently, WAD Painter.

His dedication deserves more attention from everybody, especially mappers alike and Pascal enthusiasts.

On 2/17/2021 at 11:15 PM, InDOOMnesia said:

An Espi Award for Jim Valavanis @jval. As a Pascal programmer, he has been developing a lot of DOOM-related stuff, from his trademark source port DelphiDoom and its sister FPCDoom, to a reimplementation of Radix: Beyond the Void (playable, with sporadical update) and In Pursuit of Greed (currently incomplete), to unique and helpful modding programs such as the Voxel Editor, Terrain Generator, and more recently, WAD Painter.

His dedication deserves more attention from everybody, especially mappers alike and Pascal enthusiasts.

Totally. Jim is one of the most kindred folks in this community with an output that is practically unmatched.

Be on the lookout for the Wadazine, because Jim will be making an appearance.

Released today, and i honestly don't care how it will get iterated, but a surefire mention is @Xymph and IdGames Upload:

And that's without the endless amount of work Xymph has been doing for both the DoomWiki and ye olde but useful Doom FAQ. Xymph is a category of its own: The Master Maintainer of Doom. *

*There are more than one Master Maintainers. Others could include the late Ty Halderman, or Linguica.

On 2/19/2021 at 3:49 AM, Diabolución said:

seconding this.

The original release was great with just 3 episodes.

But now its a full 4 episode replacement for Ultimate Doom, and Offisil show us that there is still a lot juice that can be squeezed from the original game without using dehacked modifications.

Even if the maps are not revolutionary, they just offer awesome fun and an amazing sense of place.

And the soundtrack, oh lord, the soundtrack is the best soundtrack ever, hands down.

5 hours ago, P41R47 said:

And the soundtrack, oh lord, the soundtrack is the best soundtrack ever, hands down.

This is a very bold claim to make in the face of BTSX, Ancient Aliens, or even the recent Time Tripper. Personally, I don't think it matches up to those.

On that subject: Time Tripper for the soundtrack award. msx has done a fantastic job with this, penning a killer soundtrack that is all at once ethereal, mysterious, energetic, and complex without sacrificing memorability. "The Forever Plane" in particular may be one of my favourite tracks ever paired with a Doom project, I simply can't get it out of my head. Bonus points for providing both tracker and MIDI renditions!

Edited by AD_79

25 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

This is a very bold claim to make in the face of BTSX, Ancient Aliens, or even the recent Time Tripper. Personally, I don't think it matches up to those.

On that subject: Time Tripper for the soundtrack award. msx has done a fantastic job with this, penning a killer soundtrack that is all at once ethereal, mysterious, energetic, and complex without sacrificing memorability. "The Forever Plane" in particular may be one of my favourite tracks ever paired with a Doom project. Bonus points for providing both tracker and MIDI renditions.

I personally like it a lot, its full of mood and atmosphere, just the things i like on Doom.

And being a oneman megawad with oneman made music, well i think it hit most of the spots a good soundtrack needs to have.

Even if it may not be up there with those mapset for you, you can't say its bad.

But, please, that statement wasn't made to disregard anyone else work.

I really like the music you make, too.

So take it as i'm just in love with that mapset as no other ;)