Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

21 hours ago, Archfiend said:

Wait, do people actually hate on maps just for having Wolf3D stuff in them? Why?

The Wolf3D stuff is entirely out of place in Doom and clashes very poorly with the overall aesthetic. My best advice, if you want to use the SS Nazi, is to change the sprite and sounds to something else. Many wads have done that, a good example being 32 Inch Nails, where the Nazi looks like a zombie with the Doomguy helmet and makes fittingly creepy sounds. It's not particularly difficult to import the relevant sprites/sounds/dehacked into your own wad.

-SSG is too OP
-Pain Elemental is good new enemy for Doom 2, and they also really fun to fight
-Chaingunner are a joke
-Chainsaw is superior to fist with Berserk
-TNT > Plutonia
-The Chasm is a good and cool map
-Sandy > Romero (which could explain why most Doom 2 maps designed by Sandy)

4 hours ago, Orchid87 said:

Chasm is one of the best IWAD maps.

Doom music is generally good, but metal tracks suck ass in Doom.

I've said it before, but yeah I love the atmosphere and space of The Chasm.

I'll riff off the other point though and say that it gets a little tiresome for me personally when everybody who wants to cover literally any Doom track decides that it automatically has to be TEH BR00TAL THRASH METAL no matter what the original sounds like.  Some of my favorite Doom tracks include Sinister, They're Going to Get You, Waiting for Romero to Play, Adrian's Asleep and other ones that are somber and moody and convey an atmosphere that's more subtle and menacing than RIP AND TEARRRR ARRRRARRGGUGEGERGHGRCHHR

And it's not even that I don't like the metal-styled tracks or the covers of them, Shawn's Got the Shotgun is one of my favs too (although again Prince's rendition is still more doom 'n' gloom than a lot of folks recognize).

On 2/2/2016 at 1:33 AM, Linguica said:

id didn't really know what they were doing with Doom and mostly got really lucky.

Terrible take, IMO. Tons of stuff in Doom became industry standards. They had literally no reference point for making a huge space-horror action FPS, and yet the game is just incredible. 

They designed Doom so well, that everyone tried seperating their games from it in the name of progress, and yet here we are, going back to Doom. Because it's so well designed, it just feels right.

Other than minor tech quibbles (1993 for gods sake) the game just works and plays so beautifully. It's a masterpiece. I don't even know what your post means. Do you think we're on a forum discussing it 30 years later... because the graphics?

Go play some Atari hockey or something to see how most early attempts at game genres go, then tell me how poorly designed Doom is

Like 90% of Deathmatch maps get old in like 1 minute, they need to unique twist or the map is just boring.

Most of them focus on looks more then gameplay and honestly just all play the same.

Kinda ironic as i'm working on a deathmatch wad but still.

1 hour ago, Kute said:

Terrible take, IMO. Tons of stuff in Doom became industry standards. They had literally no reference point for making a huge space-horror action FPS, and yet the game is just incredible. 

They designed Doom so well, that everyone tried seperating their games from it in the name of progress, and yet here we are, going back to Doom. Because it's so well designed, it just feels right.

Other than minor tech quibbles (1993 for gods sake) the game just works and plays so beautifully. It's a masterpiece. I don't even know what your post means. Do you think we're on a forum discussing it 30 years later... because the graphics?

Go play some Atari hockey or something to see how most early attempts at game genres go, then tell me how poorly designed Doom is

Read the thread title.

The pistol is NOT useless. I love it and use it all the time.

9 minutes ago, Kute said:

What about it?

It's about posting your controversial Doom opinions and not trying to change people's views based on what they post. "Terrible takes" are to be expected. :P

On 2/20/2021 at 9:39 AM, lokbustam257 said:

-Pain Elemental is good new enemy for Doom 2, and they also really fun to fight

I see you are a very epic DOOMER :D

On 2/19/2021 at 10:01 PM, Maes said:

I think most of the damage was done by George Fiffy's (aka King REoL) WolfenDoom and similar maps

Ooooooh I remember that one.  Crappity crap crap. 

the first episode of doom is the only great part in doom 1, TnT was okay, and the plasma rifle is worthless

2 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

It's about posting your controversial Doom opinions and not trying to change people's views based on what they post. "Terrible takes" are to be expected. :P

Fair enough. For me, an opinion has to have some merit to be controversial.

If I'm just like, John Carmack smells bad - that's not controversial, it's just dumb.

But if I say I agree with John Carmack, story in videogames is irrelevant. That's controversial. I actually believe that. But I'm sure lots of people disagree.

Saying they just guessed and happened to design an entire perfect FPS on essentially their first try is just nonsensical. It's like saying the Mona Lisa was just beginners luck. It makes no sense. 

Stock Ultrasound music in Doom is the worst, it probably wasn't even tested properly. Adlib/OPL is better. Cheesy Windows 98 Microsoft midi synth is better than both of them.

2 minutes ago, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

Ultimate doom's soundtrack is better then doom 2's.

Did you hear about our lord and savior D_RUNNIN?!

Just now, Pegg said:

Did you hear about our lord and savior D_RUNNIN?!

After making wads for a bit, and playing doom 2 a bunch of times, i can't really vibe with d_runnin anymore.

50 minutes ago, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

After making wads for a bit, and playing doom 2 a bunch of times, i can't really vibe with d_runnin anymore.

Neither do we actually 😛.

Nah there are a few I really don't like tbh. Whatever was the name of the midi on MAP04?

Yeah, screw that one, the one IWAD midi I hate. I think Doom's music was overall more consistent in quality, but Doom 2 had plenty of solid stuff.

Now, for a less popular opinion on a similar note, I'm still liking MS GS Wavetable quite a bit, and actually switched to it in GZDoom. Pretty underrated IMO. And I mean sure you can get something way better with Timidity++ and a good soundfont but hey, for me it's great. Soundfonts can be a pretty fiddly endeavor sometimes.

2 minutes ago, seed said:

Nah there are a few I really don't like tbh. Whatever was the name of the midi on MAP04?

Yeah, screw that one, the one IWAD midi I hate. I think Doom's music was overall more consistent in quality, but Doom 2 had plenty of solid stuff.

Now, for a less popular opinion on a similar note, I'm still liking MS GS Wavetable quite a bit, and actually switched to it in GZDoom. Pretty underrated IMO. And I mean sure you can get something way better with Timidity++ and a good soundfont but hey, for me it's great. Soundfonts can be a pretty fiddly endeavor sometimes.

It's Between Levels (which was initially meant to be played for the intermission text screen, hence the name).

Also, fellow GS Wavetable Synth lover here. It's not as bad as some people make it out to be, indeed. It sounds at least decent enough compared to GUS.

3 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

It's Between Levels (which was initially meant to be played for the intermission text screen, hence the name).

Also, fellow GS Wavetable Synth lover here. It's not as bad as some people make it out to be, indeed. It sounds at least decent enough compared to GUS.

Similar to soundfonts, it depends what GUS patches you use. The pro patches usually sound fairly nice, toyed around with them in Doom and Hexen.

22 hours ago, Scrabbs said:

the first episode of doom is the only great part in doom 1, TnT was okay, and the plasma rifle is worthless

Explain your reasoning.

Also, SRB2 should be GZDoom compatible.

I'm torn on the D_RUNNIN question. On one hand, yes I'm sick to death with it after hearing it 99999 times while playtesting and 99999 more times while playing random single-map wads.. On the other hand, I associate it with some of the first custom WADs I ever played, and that solo is genuinely cool at the end half of the song. It's rare to see a solo made entirely of 8th notes that still sounds cool the whole way through.

4 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

SRB2 should be GZDoom compatible

As a Doom Legacy-based game, SRB2 features lots of stuff that can't be done by GZDoom, eg. water effect in software renderer.

(Yeah, I know this is still a controversial opinion thread, but still.)

I love D_RUNNIN, but I may like D_STALKS even more. When I test stuff on MAP01, I often change the music do D_STALKS because I don't want to risk getting oversaturated with D_RUNNING but it seems like I could listen to D_STALKS all day just fine.

I like all Doom 2 music in general, Between The Levels included. The weirdly upbeat ones fit the vaguely Earthly, less scary vibe of the levels. D_DEAD and D_OPENIN on the other hand provide the uniquely creepy experiences not quite like any D1 musics.

I say Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, and especially Doom 3 are all visually ugly and monotonous in their own ways. Doom 2016 isn't ugly but is very dull in appearance.

I do really like Doom 64 and Doom Eternal's extensive use of colours and contrasting locations.

I also don't like Doom's general depiction of Hell. It depends too much on looking like what common religions describe it to be. When it's meant to be a chaotic dimension that hates all life on Earth, it really should be something that completely contradicts the structure of Earth's ecosystems.