Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

City-themed maps are my favorite, no matter how well or badly executed. I can't think of a city map I disliked.

Dumping 200 monsters on the player when they're underequipped isn't "hard", it's boring. Some of us have had nearly 30 years of training on Doom's monsters by now. Avoiding Revenant missiles isn't a matter of skill anymore than it is waiting for the shotgun to reload while you fire away for ten minutes.

On 3/28/2020 at 1:19 PM, ReaperAA said:

In fact I have a hot take. Both Alien Vendetta and Scythe 2 are overrated at this point. They are legendary wads of their time, but modern wads like Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, Valiant, Sunlust etc. blow em out of the water.

Okay, so my opinion on AV has definitely changed after properly playing it for the first time just recently. When I wrote the above comment, I had only played/watched AV in bits and pieces. While AV isn't superior to the modern wads that I had mentioned, it still is an incredibly fun wad with good balance of action and adventure moments.

Also between AV and Scythe 2, I would definitely go with AV.

Bastion of Chaos, I'm not really sure how it's supposed to be "innovative" or "revolutionary". I think it's an amazing mod even though my poor AMD E2 can't run it, but from what I've seen, I'm not entirely sure how it "changed slaughtermapping". Is it because it's a giant fortress that has a lot of interconnectivity?

8 hours ago, Buzzerb5x9x said:

doom is better with vertical look

You win the thread. Prepare you pitchforks, guys!

8 hours ago, Buzzerb5x9x said:

doom is better with vertical look

I have to agree with this one to some extent.

One of my main gripes with classic Doom is a wonky vertical auto aim. Freelook eliviates that issue somewhat.

There has been moments in Vanilla ports where im trying to shoot an enemy up a flight of stairs and it fails to autoaim.

The use of rocket launcher in Doom 1 isn't good, I mostly use it in boss fights and large rooms with hitscanners and pinkies/spectres.

8 minutes ago, AvadaKedavraWithQuadDamage said:

large rooms with hitscanners and pinkies/spectres.

That's where you should tho.

Bosses it a bad idea if you have the plasma and/or BFG 😉.

I personally think that the bug in map 25 of doom 2 looks cool, idk, it's curious (screenshot taken in BOOM)

imagen.png.7119c46d41597815991b5e15aa467196.png

On 1/23/2021 at 12:21 PM, seed said:

Where did you see speedrunners walk instead of run? I'm yet to see such demos.

I suppose, if one were to construct a pathological map that penalized running by e.g. relying on extreme precision (and thus a running player would have to brake/mare more extreme corrections etc.), then maybe walking would be a better option. Excluding TAS, of course.

16 hours ago, seed said:

That's where you should tho.

But these places are rare in Doom 1, the most notable one is Mt. Erebus, some areas in it are filled with hitscanners and imps, killing them with the shotgun is a bad idea, while using the chaingun and rocket launcher is a good idea.

16 hours ago, seed said:

Bosses it a bad idea if you have the plasma and/or BFG 😉.

Agreed on this, but using the rocket launcher on a Cyberdemon is fine, you can't get killed easily by him, also, most boss levels that contain a cyberdemon give you a plenty amount of rockets.

16 hours ago, Lol 6 said:

I personally think that the bug in map 25 of doom 2 looks cool, idk, it's curious (screenshot taken in BOOM)

imagen.png.7119c46d41597815991b5e15aa467196.png

Exactly which aspect of it is a bug? Is it not supposed to actually look like a floating cube of water?

25 minutes ago, Maes said:

Exactly which aspect of it is a bug? Is it not supposed to actually look like a floating cube of water?

It's sides are untextured, so the water texture bleeds into them. I always thought that was done intentionally and looks cool. 

1 minute ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

It's sides are untextured, so the water texture bleeds into them. I always thought that was done intentionally and looks cool. 

Hmmm... for some reason I thought that they used an animated water texture (didn't really notice the bleeding), but those were only introduced in Final Doom, it seems, and even then I'm not sure they really just look like an animated water flat.

4 hours ago, Maes said:

Well, it's hell, there are crazy things there and this is no exception, I think that makes the level more unique.

4 hours ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

It was done intentionally indeed.

I've heard this time from time... so I'll say it. Doom is not a perfectly balanced game.

But still is perfect to me.

13 hours ago, GraphicBleeder said:

I do not like Doom 4's soundtrack.

based

Over time, it just gets annoying. Sometimes I would play different songs saved on my phone or use Spotify while playing through 4 or Eternal.

Just now, VoanHead said:

based

Over time, it just gets annoying. Sometimes I would play different songs saved on my phone or use Spotify while playing through 4 or Eternal.

I dislike it because it just... Sounds annoying, and too electronic for my taste.

People joke about how Mick synthesized a chainsaw or something but they soon forget that chainsaws do not sound good in music.

I'd much rather put on a Slayer or Cannibal Corpse album while playing Doom then Mick's soundtrack.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:21 AM, Doomkid said:

I'm torn on the D_RUNNIN question. On one hand, yes I'm sick to death with it after hearing it 99999 times while playtesting and 99999 more times while playing random single-map wads.. On the other hand, I associate it with some of the first custom WADs I ever played, and that solo is genuinely cool at the end half of the song. It's rare to see a solo made entirely of 8th notes that still sounds cool the whole way through.

I share with you the same sentiment .. I

Playing without mouselook or any modern additions is not a valid playstyle anymore, it's not the 90's anymore, time has passed us by, and it's time to move on.

The original Doom 4 project had the right idea and visually looks like a Doom game based on Doom II: Hell on Earth. They implemented interesting concepts such as new combat system features, a couple of familiar weapons repurposed for DOOM 2016, a clever minimalistic UI and the rescued synced melee combat that was later transferred to Wolfenstein: TNO and DOOM 2016/DOOM Eternal. The project had the concept of being a mortal human fighting demons while you see how our real life environment changes because of the hellish invasion that focused on a realistic depiction of it like Doom 3 was for Doom 1. The demons looked entirely scary because of its unique designs and most of them are familiar demons we know from the classics. Its prototyped multiplayer component and the revealed game mode appears to be played out as a team against other players while the fun factor was the use of summoning demons in every map by collecting souls from your enemies kill after kill set during the events of the invasion. I want to play it as a Doom fan, even if the product is unfinished.

5 hours ago, DRMman said:

Playing without mouselook or any modern additions is not a valid playstyle anymore, it's not the 90's anymore, time has passed us by, and it's time to move on.

I guess it depends what you mean by modern additions.  Like the project I'm doing now is in Doom 2 format, which means that any custom decorations and enemies I have are only included by way of some dehackery which, in turn, gets broken by a lot of mods and add-ons.  And I think it's reasonable to make a map without jump/crouch in mind, even now, like I myself admittedly don't like playing maps as much if they require jumping.  But I've taken a shine to playing with mouselook and I've never, ever enjoyed playing with infinitely tall monsters.

Also I'm really sorry everybody if this turns into debate #45052352374530 about the validity of mouselook, tl;dr "Everyone play how you like etc etc"

Mouselook and jumping in Doom engine will never feel as good and tight as vanilla game mechanics made by id themselves. I get why some people want them in Doom but it's as silly as wanting Street Fighter II with 3D arenas and side stepping.