Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiuHaka

Shotgun Guy 3D Model Idle Animation

I decided to create a new post since this is a new model with subtle differences from the Doomguy model that I showed in this thread and I'm looking for some feedback. This model was created for the Doom Ascension 3D mod and I'm seeking feedback from the Doomworld community.

This specific animation is used before the Shotgun Guy sees/hears the player. I have several issues with this idle animation but I don't want to lead any feedback. There are several randomly chosen idle animations but this is the base the alternates are built from.

Link to the interactive 3D model

shotgun_guy_3d_model.png

Looks beautiful, as with your Doomguy the attention to detail is stunning.  The shells on the hip are a nice touch.  The animation is good too, works well for an undead guy to be staring forth all vacant-eyed where Doomguy was looking around and acting self-aware.  My only note is that his head and face skin could probably look a little more dead, like maybe some subtle livor mortis spots or slightly more sickly pallor or something.  I always imagined the formers to be freshly dead though so even that might not be necessary.  At any rate it's fantastic work.

@StupidBunny

I sympathize with your zombie skin sentiments. The original Ascension Zombieman and Shotgun Guy models from ten years ago did have sickly pale undead skin, but the Doomworld forum dwellers of the time made the case that the vanilla sprites communicated otherwise. When it came time to rebuild the models for Doomsday Engine 2, I opted for loyalty to the sprites. However, I do have alternate random skins of varying levels of decay that may make it into the final build, dependent on how well everything performs during testing.

5 hours ago, Nevander said:

Now if we could have a model pack for GZDoom of this quality, using models wouldn't look so goofy.

i second this and thats what i was thinking when i saw the doomguy model finished. 

though again this its just my opinion but i think looks kinda clean from the middle, armor maaybe can show a bit impact shots received or some claws scratchs around.

but anyways looks awesome and totally the best classic doom models i have seen

Edited by Z0k

@Nevander

Sadly, GzDoom only supports the md2, md3, and UMD (which is basically md2 and md3) animated model formats. The limitations of those formats are brutal and demand much more forethought and workarounds while only allowing a fraction the quality you can get with more modern formats. While I do know of a way to cheat the md3/dmd triangle/vector limitations, the animations would still come out wobbly and the work required to do that is tedious. Actually, I don’t think I’d be able to get an md3 eXporter without finding a way to get my hands on an older version of Maya. I believe from 2009, and I’m still not sure of I could find an exporter.

The point of that rant was that the chances of that happening are probably next to zero.

@Z0k

that is a fair observation. In fact, at one point the armor did have additional damage, such as bullet markings, but they were removed to reduce the appearance of them looking like identical replicas when next to each other. The potential variant skins may include different damage markings.

Thanks...

... what happened to doomworld while I’ve been away? I feel like I’ve walked into a creepy utopia where everyone pretends to be nice. I should probably flee before the trap is sprung and I’m fed to Cthulhu.

Sounds like the solution to getting models like this in GZDoom is for GZDoom itself to be updated to have support for them, but good luck getting that feature request to be accepted.

@Nevander

I believe they would need to do a complete revamp of the engine, which is what Doomsday Engine 2 did, and the Deng Team had many reasons for doing that beyond supporting modern model formats. My knowledge is at 5-10 years ago, but since there is possibly less than ten 3D artists on Earth with interest in modding classic Doom, the priority is pretty low.