Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul814

Ungodly Dwellings - First Map

Hello, I have been procrastinating about making my first map for about two years. I have finally pushed myself to create a map for some constructive criticism from the Doomworld community. This is a very short map it takes me about two, and a half minutes to finish. I played Doom, and Doom II for the first time on my older cousin's PC in the late 90's I was an instant fan. This is a single player map for DOOM II, created in Hexen format tested in GZ Doom not sure if it will run in PR+Boom but all the assets are Doom II so It should work. Uses Doom II Map one slot, and music. No additional resources required. No jumping. I Spent six hours on this map, but I have been trying to learn on and off for about two months. I still have a lot to learn lol. I have finished on UV. Don't be afraid to rip, and tear my novice mapping skills lol.

UNGODLY DWELLINGS V1.2 .zip

Screenshot_Doom_20210222_233032.png.cb4c5022a49e4361d417f83688f978be.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210222_233136.png.b7ad49f457111dc5f2f0b3c8f052d3df.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210222_233210.png.ce325f8f783a7db58aa8e90be18d9d0c.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210222_233402.png.77c51a34bbad2ba04d7b8c655899d57a.png

Edited by Paul814

Nice screenshots. All these first time mappers coming out of the woodwork lately is nothing short of exciting. DOOM will never die.

@Korozive Long live Doom! It's exciting to finally create something. So much awesome content to play Doom is the gift that keeps on giving 20+ years of WADS and Mods!

Not at all bad for a first map, although there's certainly room for improvement.  I like the strong hellish aesthetic. 

@Orcsbreath Thanks for the feedback I will edit this wad, and change the grid texture in the tech area including the weird wall structure. I see your point about the flesh mounds in the lava room making them slightly smaller would make the players more cautious of staying out of the lava. I also noticed there is nothing that forces the player into the lava maybe instead of a door I could place a portal. Yeah instead of backtracking maybe putting a door in the Baron of hell room would fix that issue. Thanks for the video. Going to edit this asap.

5 hours ago, Paul814 said:

@Phytolizer I wonder why? Maybe a sector limit is the issue? I plan on editing this wad. Going to see if I can resolve the issue.

I looked into it more and it's because PrBoom+ doesn't support Hexen format.

I like this short map. It's really fun. Looks really nice for a first time mapper. Progression is perfect, good choice of monsters, design of some rooms is awesome.
There is some minor texture work needed, but it is almost inevitable if you make a map for your first time.
Screenshot_Doom_20210224_184623.png.7a39e2b54e25573ec76b65783361ccb0.png
These floor and ceiling textures in this door sector are basic and should be changed for something nicer.
Screenshot_Doom_20210224_185008.png.2e1b5747f03cb2348e7be73975f541e0.png
This texture should be unpegged, because it moves.
Screenshot_Doom_20210224_185842.png.19b58885147d1d949a025bafed4c8db0.png
These 2 textures also should be unpegged and changed.

Nevertheless - cool and fun map, m8!

@Voxelvoid Ok thanks for pointing out the ceiling, floor being to bland in the tech room. Plus the doorway textures being unpegged lol. I will fix them asap. Glad you enjoyed the maps despite the flaws.

This was a good first map. I've always liked hellish WADs, and levels where tech and hell are combined together. The only thing I noticed worth pointing out, was that one of the hanging bodies blocks the player. You might want to choose one that doesn't block player movement.

I too have only started mapping this year. Always cool to see more people trying mapping!

2 hours ago, Paul814 said:

@Phytolizer Ok I will make sure my next map is created in UMDF. So more Doom executables can be used.

I think UDMF is also not supported in PrBoom+ :P
Better to use Doom/Boom format. That would also allow it to run in Woof and Doom Retro, among others (?)

Not bad for a first map, playable with some good monster usage.

I won't pick any holes in it, since it is a first map. Be interesting to see what you make next.

Not bad for a first map. I would have liked to see a bit more verticality and maybe move the rocket launcher to the end of the hall so when you open the door you would see it and have your first instinct would be to run for it and get trapped. Overall good first showing, looking forward to more.

I made some changes to the wad with everyone's feedback in mind. The link is at the top of this post. 

About time I started actively playing and reviewing some of these new releases, some of which are from my fellow first time mappers. So:

I just played thru on HMP. Its a good map! Punchy and fast-paced, you made some interesting texture choices (like the teleport icons above the crates) which I would not have done myself, but this is by no means a criticism: its interesting seeing what decisions others make and remember right or wrong can be a matter of taste.

I felt some of the combat was a bit tight, and I actually died a load of times. Maybe I'm not on point today, but again, not everything needs to be a wide open arena: so well done on making me sweat a bit. I also liked your approach to floor and ceiling detail: that creepy face texture in the ceiling recesses was a cool touch. You nailed the surreal Doom II Hell aesthetic quite nicely. 

The hanging corpse in the 3rd room is still blocking player movement: I had two Revenant missiles following me around the room before I got stuck to it and died. Nice infighting potential with the Chaingunner in that room too.

Overall it was a solid first effort, potential is clearly there and I look forward to seeing what you come out with in the future with more time, experience and ambition. Good work and keep it up.

Edited by VisionThing

@Voxelvoid Ok thanks for pointing out the ceiling, floor being to bland in the tech room. Plus the doorway textures being unpegged I fixed them lol. Glad you enjoyed the maps despite the flaws.

@VisionThing I put the teleports above the crates because I wanted it to look strange, and out of place foreboding what the next room would introduce pure hell breaking loose😆. I forgot to address the hanging corpse in the 3rd room...😁 Plan on fixing that later today after work. I will probably expand the room a little so the decor doesn't impede the players movement. Thanks for the kind words. I am glad people are enjoying the map gives me motivation to make my next map bigger, more monsters, and more substance. I want to add lifts, teleports, verticality, weapon choices, monster closets, and maybe one custom monster. Going to take my time with what ever I put out next. Just thinking of what theme I want the next wad to have.

Update 1.1 is ready it's at the top of this post. Here are some pics of what I changed. Looked at the first hell room and, I didn't care for the dark grey with yellow cracks so put the red variant there instead. I think it looks better with the blood floor. Made the extended ceiling flesh it makes more sense then a blood drip that doesn't lead to the floor below. The last fix are the decorations in the lava room they have their own little alcove now. I moved some ammo boxes a little, and added a hanging body in the blood room. Also moved some of the corpses in the blood room around.

Screenshot_Doom_20210225_154034.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210225_154109.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210225_154456.png

On 2/23/2021 at 9:12 PM, Paul814 said:

This is a single player map for DOOM II, created in Hexen format tested in GZ Doom not sure if it will run in PR+Boom but all the assets are Doom II so It should work.

The assets or resources you use are not the deciding factor. What really matters is the linedef actions you use, and the actors you place...

Without opening the map in a builder, I can at least say that Doom in Hexen has actors (like floor property actors and mapspots) which are not supported by PrBoom+, which might cause the crash...

@Suitepee Thanks for the advice I will definitely update this map asap the backtracking part is awful. Possibly change the map layout to avoid backtracking. The chaingunners behind the skull spikes was a great idea. I just played around with a monster closet yesterday finally learned how to make them work. I am glad I made so many mistakes because I'm learning from them as more people give me input.

Nice first map, I had fun - got dead - got to see an exploding pain elemental kill a baron, never seen that one before!