Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RipNTear4200

Last stand v0.1

Source port: GZDoom

IWAD: Doom II

Maps: MAP01-MAP04

This is a difficult map pack that takes about 30 minutes to complete

I am a beginner map maker so there may be a few (or many) oversights. If there are, just let me know and they will be fixed.

Screenshot_Doom_20210224_112234.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210224_112251.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210224_112333.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210302_092332.png

Last stand v0.1.zip

Edited by RipNTear4200 : NEW MAP (and patched a few minor bugs)

I took a look and while being a beginner map, this is pretty good. For the sake of time, I won't be reviewing every map individually, but all three maps as a whole. Also, I'd like you to have a look at this thread:

Gameplay

Your gameplay throughout the three maps seems to improve immensely with each passing map. While  all three maps' combat is a bit predictable, you seem to gain confidence in making combat fast paced and making challenging encounters fairly quickly. Your combat seems to peak in the third map, with a hot start and a hit-scanner-revenant teleport trap, which caught me off guard and gave me a good chuckle. Progression, on the other hand seems to differ, with the first map having linear progression, the second non-linear( try and make your maps as non-linear as possible, to encourage exploration) and the third linear. I like that you don't make each map entirely linear, though

Layout

The layout is definitely a bit flat in all three maps, so I'd recommend having some more height variation. Making the layouts relatively simple is nice, though I'd recommend following the same methods as your third map. Don't be afraid to have a bit of backtracking, to spice up progression.

Texturing and detail

You need to add a bit more detail to your map. Some areas( like the cyber-demon arena lack some detail and make these areas unnecessarily barren. I'd recommend using lighting and decorations to give an area visual depth without it detracting or becoming a hindrance to gameplay.

Bugs

I did notice a few texture alignment issues, one texture showing up in a strange place and the exit switch not working properly( I think you forgot to add an action to it. In the first map, there is a secret with a Caco that you forgot to add an ambush to, so he opens the door.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210224_195415.png.818a5127ffd0c9100c56814de0195d87.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210224_194847.png.00b65763a404c0700ecc23cee37307a8.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210224_195522.png.b8d84cbb03b321165826adb7bea108b7.png

Conclusion

You're off to a good start, man. You seem to improve with every map. You just need to add a bit of visual flare to your maps. Welcome to Doomworld and feel free to just chill with likeminded people and talk about Doom or anything else for that matter .You've certainly made a good first impression, too with your first release. Good stuff!

Thank you for your feedback! To address the bugs, I will attempt to fix those in the next patch (which should be coming in the next few days along with a new map). I may also revise Map01 to make it less linear. 

7 hours ago, RipNTear4200 said:

Thank you for your feedback! To address the bugs, I will attempt to fix those in the next patch (which should be coming in the next few days along with a new map). I may also revise Map01 to make it less linear. 

No problem. Nice to see you’re committed to fixing bugs in your maps

That was a pure Doom fun. Maybe too easy and with too much health, almost totally flat - it would benefit from simple floor height differences - but great to play and nice looking. Really good combination of linear and non linear maps. Cool overall.
Screenshot_Doom_20210225_102223.png.5f91294c82f7401d57ad379d529dac45.pngHow do I end this level though?

Not too bad a start, mate. I'd say the third map was the most fun and impressive out of the bunch. Try experimenting with height variation and landscaping though as all your areas felt pretty flat and boxy. Still, I had a fun time. Your exit button on the last map doesn't work by the way. Welcome to Doomworld!

Thank you for playing the map Voxelvoid and Biodegradable! I forgot to add an action to the last linedef and I will release a patch within the next few days addressing a few bugs along with a new map.

Last stand (DEMO)

Ultra-Violence || GZDoom || DUE-Doom

Deaths → 0 (all maps)

Saves → none (all maps)

Map 01:

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-001911.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-001944.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-002154.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-002214.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-002221.png

A really intense map, despite not being large and very extensive, perhaps it is due to the placement of the enemies in each of the few areas that this first map has, the structure is really good, it is simple, but it works really well, At least it does not get so boring to explore because the trip is really short, now with respect to the fighting, it is where it stands out the most here, there are not only weak and annoying enemies, but there are also really resistant enemies and hard, besides that for the end, a surprise from Archvile is included, which is not very surprising but he must have been there anyway to make an excuse to continue spending ammunition of the most powerful weapon that he has, but yes, everything it seemed very entertaining here.

Map 02:

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-002530.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-002534.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-003027.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-003424.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-004346.png

Extra:

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-004319.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-004326.png

This secret here is practically impossible to get, unless you use the "idclip" trick to get through the wall, I think you will need to fix the problem with the way to access the secret entrance.

This map, unlike the previous one, has a somewhat calm beginning, since we only have to finish with shotgunners that are patrolling the area, but after that, things again get very intense, but before that, I have to say that the architecture here was a little simpler than in the previous one, each room being with very few details implemented, and perhaps the only interesting one to see is the room that has the Mega Sphere, because of the small pillars that function as a barrier, but outside from there, everything is very simple. As for the combats, the map stands out again for having rude, resistant, and cruel enemies, from the Revenants to the Barons of hell, all of this making the search for keys and the exit difficult, but without a doubt that if it comes to be a good challenge to experiment.

Map 03:

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-004438.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-004731.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-004936.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-005429.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-005449.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-005628.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210225-010420.png

This last map was really entertaining, and I hardly had many drawbacks here, since, despite having a new intense start as was almost the first map, here at least there is more space for mobility, and besides that, the structure of all the places and the combat zones mainly, they did not feel as uncomfortable as in the previous maps, here they were a little more entertaining to fight, and also to observe, since many of the places do not become monotonous and they present a certainly varied environment, such as the area with toxic soil for example, and having a great variety of enemies, the fighting did not feel boring at any time, and I also know that this is seen in the previous maps, but here at least The appearance of each of these is better controlled, and also, in this last map the 2 bosses of Doom 2 appear, with which, I will say that the combat of the Cyberdemon and the Spidermaster Mind was decent, without much di failing and providing great help to the Marine so that he does not fall so quickly in death, even more so if he finds the BFG 9000 in a secret. Very good set of maps, I really got to enjoy each of the levels a lot and with their various difficulties that they carried with them, the only bad thing about the final map is not being able to access the button that is the exit, but I had managed to kill them all , and just missing a secret, I hope you get to create maps that do not have a somewhat exaggerated challenge, but that still remain entertaining.

Just updated and a new map was added!

Will update again when I finish MAP07 or so.

Feel free to leave more suggestions if you have them.

2 hours ago, RipNTear4200 said:

Just updated and a new map was added!

Will update again when I finish MAP07 or so.

Feel free to leave more suggestions if you have them.

Want me to test the latest map? I'd be happy to, so long as it isn't lengthy. 

Strange things are happening to me on my PC regarding this was (I noticed the same things happening in Infernal Venice WAD aswell)

I am using GZDoom 4.5.0 is this happening only to me or is anyone else experiencing this as well?

Glitch.jpg

2 hours ago, Silhou3tte said:

Want me to test the latest map? I'd be happy to, so long as it isn't lengthy. 

You can, it is only a few minutes long. It took me a few tries pistol starting. But just wait a minute because I forgot to fix a few bugs so I need to update the file. Next time, I’m just gonna make a checklist and make sure everything is solved before I upload the wad.

20 minutes ago, LavaWave said:

Strange things are happening to me on my PC regarding this was (I noticed the same things happening in Infernal Venice WAD aswell)

I am using GZDoom 4.5.0 is this happening only to me or is anyone else experiencing this as well?

Glitch.jpg

No I'm sorry, that was my fault. I just fixed it and it should be okay now if you redownload it. 

Had a look at your map, so I'll leave this here.

Gameplay

Frantic, is the best word I would use to sum up the map. From the get go you're fired upon by chain-gunners and revenants. I like this shift from calmer combat in your previous maps to a more chaotic, fast-paced type of gameplay. The use of monsters to pressure the player to move is a good choice, on your part. The only things that I want to critique is the amount of ammo, which is really low in some areas, and the final fight, where there are too many pain elementals. The problem is that they infight and the map is filled with lost souls in a matter of minutes.

Layout

The map's layout reminds me of an IWAD map, specifically map 04 of plutonia, Caged or Doom 2's the gantlet. The use of metal and stone textures seems to be sufficient  evidence to support my claim. No real complaints here.

Texturing and detailing

You seem to be fond of the IWAD approach in having minimalist detailing, which I'm fond of. Your texturing has a few issues here and there but I'll point them out In the bugs section of my review.

Bugs

A few misaligned textures here and there, and one bleeding texture. I'd also like to point out that the platforms that you can lower if you fall into the nukage can only be pressed once.

https://imgur.com/a/iquMXuw

https://imgur.com/a/coDU2rn

https://imgur.com/a/IVLmQfl

Conclusion

You seem to be improving with every map you make, man. I enjoyed playing this one. Not much else to say, but good job.