Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

DOOMROCK - Procedural Generated Rock Sprites, Models & Voxels

This simply adds to the prodigious rate at which you're creating new stuff. Excellent!

Wow.  I saw someone else suggest the idea in another thread, I did half-expect that you'd release something like this but didn't expect it to happen so quickly!  Edit: I've seen the earlier post which references @NiGHTMARE having suggested it.

Despite their lower resolution, it works well with OTEX flats, too, if you turn the Texture U/V scales up a little from the defaults:

Spoiler

rockotex1.png.6f5d270c107f419890a6457116c9cf2d.pngrockotex2.png.a0a2e13628153b6da9b8dc483a299d55.png

somebody stop him!

p.s.: they look like polygon models. if it is, why don't export them as MD2/MD3 too? for hw renderers, models are (much) faster to render.

21 minutes ago, ketmar said:

p.s.: they look like polygon models. if it is, why don't export them as MD2/MD3 too? for hw renderers, models are (much) faster to render.

Indeed, the algorithm produces 3d models. These models in the export step are either rendered as a sprite or get voxelized.

But.... the is the "File/Export/Obj model" menu item that exports the generated rock as a wavefront obj model.

Can md2 models have one frame only? If so, I can try to make a md2 model export in PK3 with all the definitions to run it in source ports out of the box.

2 hours ago, jval said:

Can md2 models have one frame only?

yep, sure. and MD3 too. i'd say that it is better to export MD3, tho, because MD2 has lower vertex precision. not that it matters much in this case, of course. maybe both? (yeah, why don't ask for more while i can ;-)

This is really nice. Is there any way to make the rocks "whole", as they are cut off in the middle right now. That's be a cool feature for the voxel/model export. I guess just mirroring the upper part would be fine for a start.

31 minutes ago, ketmar said:

yep, sure. and MD3 too. i'd say that it is better to export MD3, tho, because MD2 has lower vertex precision. not that it matters much in this case, of course. maybe both? (yeah, why don't ask for more while i can ;-)

What's the benefit of using MD2/MD3 over OBJ for static models?

Are you kidding me.

You pump out new tools quicker than most people pump out levels, @jval. Not only that, but complete with icon's, documentation and the like.

And once again its a tool that carries legtimate use. When using DD Terrain, DoomTree and DoomRock, you can essentially make a huge and unique landscape before you start designing a level.

A unique author within this community is what you are.

Ill guess ill update your Wikipage then with this and the other tool you recently released. :P

2 hours ago, ketmar said:

1 hour ago, boris said:

This is really nice. Is there any way to make the rocks "whole", as they are cut off in the middle right now. That's be a cool feature for the voxel/model export. I guess just mirroring the upper part would be fine for a start.

TODO list:

• Export md2 or md3 model
  • Create whole rock

1 hour ago, boris said:

MD2 models are widely supported by many 3d accelerated source ports, the wavefront obj format is not.

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

Are you kidding me.

You pump out new tools quicker than most people pump out levels, @jval. Not only that, but complete with icon's, documentation and the like.

The ideas are pumping out of the community, DOOMROCK exists thanks to  @NiGHTMARE's mention for a procedural rock generator. 

1 hour ago, boris said:

not everything out there is GZDoom.

15 minutes ago, jval said:

Export md2 or md3 model

also, can you please make those models closed (i.e. with the bottom poly too)? because only properly closed models can cast shadows with shadow volumes.

Just now, ketmar said:

also, can you please make those models closed (i.e. with the bottom poly too)? because only properly closed models can cast shadows with shadow volumes.

This should not be a problem, probably find the centroid of the bottom plane and make a triangle fan to the edges.

or use simple ear-cutting, it doesn't matter how optimal the subdivision will be. or even Delaunay triangulation, if you want to try something fun (and get a good triangulator for future projects too ;-).

p.s. meh, even 2d BSP will do the trick, let's do it the Doom way!

20 minutes ago, jval said:

The ideas are pumping out of the community, DOOMROCK exists thanks to  @NiGHTMARE's mention for a procedural rock generator. 

So... if we come up with ideas, you will build it? :P

Then a COLORMAP generator, haha.  maybe a procedural one take takes into account shading (So you can have spooky areas and what not).

Joking ofcourse. Just that your quality of output never ceases to amaze me. Its humbling.

3 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Then a COLORMAP generator, haha. 

With, or without the Carmack's typo?

4 minutes ago, jval said:

With, or without the Carmack's typo?

Oh dear, im rendered absolutely clueless on this one. I say... with? :O :P

20 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

So... if we come up with ideas, you will build it? :P

I have to like the idea and be able to implement it with an amount of effort that does not take the fun out of the process ;)

11 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Oh dear, im rendered absolutely clueless on this one. I say... with? :O :P

Let's make it optionional :)

By the way, I've corrected this in RAD, when I ported the dcolors.c from Doom Utilities source: https://github.com/jval1972/Rad-X/blob/7c63e2baa3b932a9331f143f29b6d4487200e500/Radix/radix_palette.pas#L246

2 hours ago, Gez said:

I have now learned that whenever i will envoke something related to Colormap, Slade will appear.

I am sure this is some kind of mathematical law.

Thanks for the links by the way. Now i actually recall having read that when reading on Colormap history - The name of the error however didn't register.

1 hour ago, jval said:

I have to like the idea and be able to implement it with an amount of effort that does not take the fun out of the process ;)

The (annoying?) thing is that there is actually quite a lot of this available - Rachael's Fogger is what it says on the tin, Jmickle has had a Colormap generator and Slade is probably the go-to answer for anything Colormap related.

I am not sure. I am missing something to the effect of Inkworks, but in Windows and with an editor screen like DoomTree/DoomROCK but purely for changing/creation of Colormaps.

On the other hand maybe i shouldn't be such a whiny lownose about it and just start experimenting.

2 hours ago, jval said:

Let's make it optionional :)

By the way, I've corrected this in RAD, when I ported the dcolors.c from Doom Utilities source: https://github.com/jval1972/Rad-X/blob/7c63e2baa3b932a9331f143f29b6d4487200e500/Radix/radix_palette.pas#L246

Completely out-of-the-blue question on my end, but if this was ported, does this mean that COLORMAPS for RAD can be made with something like Slade?

Its likely a silly question given Radix looks so similar to Doom anyway but confirmation never hurted anyone.

5 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Completely out-of-the-blue question on my end, but if this was ported, does this mean that COLORMAPS for RAD can be made with something like Slade?

Its likely a silly question given Radix looks so similar to Doom anyway but confirmation never hurted anyone.

Yes, just the lump must be renamed to "SHADES" to be able to use it.

Also RAD supports custom colormaps with the Boom line 242 (upper texture of front sidedef defines the custom colormap).

Spoiler

SSHOT-Radix-20210228-163843620.png

Is it possible to have DOOMROCK make an object with completely flat sides to it?

For example a brick broken in half which would otherwise not be as easy to do in map editing. ~ maybe not the best example heh, we'll say it was a really over detailed brick fragment.

Or is this something that could be done with the Seed variable? so 1 would be a cube and 2 would be an angled cube of sorts. 

~ maybe it could start as a cube and maybe gradually turn into a sphere shape as the Seed was increased to its highest value, or is it possible that it could even work that way?

Edited by Mr.Rocket

How?!? How how how HOW are you so productive?!

In all seriousness this looks really nice. (as usual :P) I'm definitely making a map with these tools to brush up on my outdoor area skills...

Time for a nice update (ver. 1.0.2.23)

The most important change is supporting models for source ports.

Downloads

Executable (win32): https://sourceforge.net/projects/doom-rock/files/DOOMROCK_1.0/DOOMROCK_1.0.2.23_bin.zip/download

Source code: https://sourceforge.net/projects/doom-rock/files/DOOMROCK_1.0/DOOMROCK_1.0.2.23_src.zip/download

What's new:

I've tried to address the requests by @boris ("whole" rock), @Mr.Rocket (flat sides) and @ketmar (models with closed bottom using the Delaunay triangulation)

So, the most important new things are:

• It can conditionally generate a complete rock. Use the appropriate checkbox on the Properties Panel
  • Flat side control (all 6 planes). Use "X/Y/Z Positive/Negative Cut" sliders on the Properties Panel
  • Default export format is PK3
  • Out of the box model export in PK3 files that contains actor script, sprite, model, model definition and voxel. Tested with GZDoom, K8Vavoom & DelphiDoom (voxel option available only for DelphiDoom)
  • Many new properties to control the rock generation procedure
  • Stand-alone MD2 model export with closed bottom (using the Delaunay triangulation algorithm)
  • A new toolbar at the right part of the screen with easy access to "Export Sprite", "Export Voxel" & "Export MD2 Model" commands.

The enriched Properties Panel:

Spoiler

new-properties.png

The new toolbar:

Spoiler

new-right-toolbar.png

The new Export dialog:

Spoiler

new-export-sprite.png

The default export format is PK3. WAD is also available.

In the next table you can see what is supported, depending on Source Port and on export format:

image.png.2298d78551c04badbe205259078c517e.png

Notes:

• The export procedure sets the MODELDEF and VOXELDEF scale according to the values of the actor definition script.
  • In DelphiDoom/RAD export I used the DDMODEL format (can be edited/viewed with the DD_MODEL  editor)
  • In GZDoom/K8Vavoom I used the MD2 model format. If we don't have a "whole" rock the bottom is closed using that triangulation function I mentioned above.
  • If you want the sprite to match the actor definition size, you must do it manually using the slides in the Preview group of the Export dialog, or edit the script to provide the appropriate scale.

New examples:

DelphiDoom & RAD: https://sourceforge.net/projects/doom-rock/files/EXAMPLES/rock2_delphidoom.pk3/download

GZDoom/K8Vavoom: https://sourceforge.net/projects/doom-rock/files/EXAMPLES/rock2_gzdoom_k8vavoom.pk3/download

Some in-game screenshots with models

DelphiDoom:

Spoiler

new-shot-Delphi-Doom.png

GZDoom:

Spoiler

new-shot-GZDoom.png

K8Vavoom:

Spoiler

new-shot-k8vavoom.png

RAD:

Spoiler

new-shot-RAD.png

Edited by jval : Fix typo

I think we have to conclude that Jim Valavanis, otherwise known as @jval is a sentient being sent to Earth to showcase how productivity in optimal form looks like.

My own work ethic is based on being as iterative and detailed as possible - But Jim is entirely in a league of his own. So complete each and every aspect of his work is, even at Alpha quality.. His alpha quality is often equal to beta or final quality code by other skilled programmers.

I wish i was even slightly exaggerating here. But i am not. There are some folks in here that are godlike mappers, or godlike spriters - But Jval's programming skill is highly exceptional. Im talking Xttl/Kgsws levels of leetness, right here.

Thank you, Jval.

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I think we have to conclude that Jim Valavanis, otherwise known as @jval is a sentient being sent to Earth to showcase how productivity in optimal form looks like.

From the same race as Carmack perhaps?