Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrTAD

Vanilla Doom Car designs

What are you guys designs Cars using the Vanilla Doom Engine? Just something I thought about while designing a Car Park, thought it would be an interesting question to ask the community. Especially considering TNT has that one loading truck in Map 19.

In vanilla cars or trucks are going to be a box shape with a bunch of really small steps for the windows an such, other than that they are custom textures to resemble a vehicle.

It will likely need several textures, one for each side of the vehicle and 4 to 6, 64x64 flats for the top. 

Depending on the kind of car or truck you have in mind, you might want to make finders too.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Here's some vehicles, mostly trucks, that I've made out of sectors in all my (Unreleased) maps, not exactly vanilla since they are all in UDMF maps though. But the only UDMF specific feature that the majority of them actually use is being able to lower the grid scale below 1 MU, so I can make the tires on them appear like they are part of the texture, but they should all still look decent even if they had lines that were at least 1 MU, instead of 0.25.

TL;DR they are not technically vanilla, but could easily be.
Anyway here are the actual vehicles:

dMqvP5e.png
This small van thingy is actually right behind the above truck in the map.
zBOMTKN.png
This is a truck from one of my more recent maps.
ndEBtRf.png
And here is the back of it, since I considered it noteworthy enough to take a shot of it.
ISeDURU.png
And here is a truck from a way older map of mine.
8eZpct0.png
And last is this truck from the same map as the truck I took two shots of, looking at it and the above truck I realized that this one is basically an improved version of the above one, but I'm not sure if that was intentional at the time that I was making the truck below, anyway, the below truck also only uses custom textures instead of really tiny sectors for stuff like the doors on the truck.
rStmsOl.png

Also yes, I basically only have 2 wheel/tire textures.

1 hour ago, Mr.Rocket said:

In vanilla cars or trucks are going to be a box shape with a bunch of really small steps for the windows an such, other than that they are custom textures to resemble a vehicle.

They don't need to be boxy. You can make some nice slopes by using mid textures.

Not a car, but here's some round wheels on REKKR:
Yv0E4M0.gif

28 minutes ago, Noiser said:

They don't need to be boxy. You can make some nice slopes by using mid textures.

Not a car, but here's some round wheels on REKKR:
Yv0E4M0.gif

looks kinda like it was made out of Voxels

2 hours ago, Noiser said:

Whether using mid-textures or not, it is still essentially a box or rectangle heh. ~ most cars and trucks tend to be this shape from top down view.

I love the wheels on that though! If it's a shit ton of mid-textures, vanilla might not like it so much. :P

Edited by Mr.Rocket

16 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I love the wheels on that though! If it's a shit ton of mid-textures, vanilla might not like it so much. :P

Vanilla doesn't limit the amount of mid-textures, you can put as much as you want (Rekkr is vanilla-compatible btw).

Makes sense, I assumed it was just that much more to draw, like having areas that are textured that don't need to be. 

I suppose a whole car or truck could be completely mid-texture if the lines are close enough together it would look much like voxels.

Just wouldn't be able to walk on it too much unless there's a sector hidden in the middle of the prop.

Not that I was dismissing mid-textures previously, it's what I had in mind for finders btw. ;)

Edited by Mr.Rocket

@inkoalawetrust: Those are reasonably nice-looking trucks for being in vanilla mode. I like the wheel textures, of course, but the best one is of the vault door at the back of (what is presumably) the armored truck.

Cybie2 uses a sprite for a car. It is even destroyable ;-)