Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kurogachii

¿what's the thing you hate the most in a doom wad?

I personally don't like slaughter maps, joke wads i can tolerate but slaughter maps are the pinnacle of cheapness.

Sounds like you've been playing Bad Slaughter maps because the well designed ones are made to be fair, its a matter of monster movement.

But to answer the thread, for me its inconsistent Damaging Flats.

... slaughter maps are the pinnacle of cheapness.

5 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Are we really doing one of these threads again?

I'm sorry i'm relatively new to this site, also i didn't see any related post.

When it's a vanilla wad so I boot it in DOSBox, but it has one of those weird glitches that only occasionally triggers which makes the game to a hard and dirty crash, which is usually accompanied by a REALLY LOUD sound..

I can't find a single video of this on YouTube. It's a pretty rare thing admittedly, but I wanted to share that ear-piercing noise with the rest of the world con sarnit!

13 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

The passing of time, making fools of us all

The clock is ticking and we can't do anything about it...

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

When it's a vanilla wad so I boot it in DOSBox, but it has one of those weird glitches that only occasionally triggers which makes the game to a hard and dirty crash, which is usually accompanied by a REALLY LOUD sound..

I can't find a single video of this on YouTube. It's a pretty rare thing admittedly, but I wanted to share that ear-piercing noise with the rest of the world con sarnit!

Now i'm REALLY CURIOUS about that sound, it's probably worse than the good ol' bluescreen crash sound..

Also off-topic:

Frank Zappa rules!

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Sounds like the Venetian blinds crash to me, just not loud enough.

Can't say i'd hate anything, if i like a map there's no feature that would make me not play it, and liking just has to do with my aesthetic preferences and whether it's playable for me or not, and if it somehow strikes a chord with me.  But some things drive me crazy.

- more than one Archvile set loose, especially from different direxions (similarly more than a couple of Revenants in close quarters)

- obscured progression; having no idea what to do in a map, running around for a long time (over 30 minutes isn't unheard of) looking for that one little way i've missed

- maps that are so intricate that even in the end i have no concept in my head about the layout, and where even at the end navigating with the automap is difficult (couple maps like this in Moonblood!) - this can be really frustrating, but even then i can't deny the levels are good, i just don't deal with it well

Still, everything like that conspires to make me a more capable and more observant player in the long run, and it's satisfying when such situations are resolved.

Yeah it’s always interesting and important to draw a distinction between “bad mapping practice” and “thing I personally don’t like”, especially when you’re a new mapper learning what to do and not to do.

There’s tons of threads about bad mapping practices and I don’t want to get into those again here. I guess as far as what I, personally, don’t like...mmm it’s hard to say because I appreciate a wide range of gameplay styles depending on my mood: long, exploratory maps or short punchy ones, epic slaughtermaps or small suspense-filled encounters, linear maps with tight combat or sprawling maps with an almost sandbox gameplay. They can all be fun if they’re done right.

I guess the one thing that I personally dislike is repetition. Like (almost) every Plutonia map more or less is brilliant on its own, but 32 maps of mostly boney bois and chaingunners gets exhausting taken all at once. It makes it harder to marathon than it otherwise would be.

Maps with razor thin hallways and corridors. Nobody likes these but I see newbie mappers do it all the time. They are the antithesis of what makes Doom's timeless combat fun and should be punished by tying the mapper to a tree and flogging 'em with a wet newspaper for 20mins.

5 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Maps with razor thin hallways and corridors. Nobody likes these but I see newbie mappers do it all the time. They are the antithesis of what makes Doom's timeless combat fun and should be punished by tying the mapper to a tree and flogging 'em with a wet newspaper for 20mins.

I also propose to make them play doom with an N64 controller.

2 hours ago, Kurogachii said:

I personally don't like slaughter maps, joke wads i can tolerate but slaughter maps are the pinnacle of cheapness.

Yeah fuck slaughtermaps! i hope all slaughtermappers stub all of their toes! especially that one guy, i think his name was amused? Dick

/s

Edited by Scotty

A medikit placed in an inescapable nukage pit. I jumped in thinking the medikit was hinting at a secret. Nope, I became one of the slime.

Spoiler

I didn't hate it though. I had a good laugh.

2 hours ago, Kurogachii said:

you must be playing rare bargain bin slaughter maps, they are usually quite good

9 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah fuck slaughtermaps! i hope all slaughtermappers stub all of their toes! especially that one guy, i think his name was amused? Dick

that is the most cruel fate of all. I would never, ever, EVER wish that upon my worst enemy.

37 minutes ago, Swalzi said:

A medikit placed in an inescapable nukage pit. I jumped in thinking the medikit was hinting at a secret. Nope, I became one of the slime.

At least whoever made that map had the decency of making the nukage, you know, actually damaging you. The pinnacle of cheapness/laziness is when they don't. What you do at that point? Consider yourself "dead", as some have the nerve to suggest in the README, and restart the map as an absurd form of "sportsmanship"? Or IDCLIP your way out of it without feeling you have cheated at all?

48 minutes ago, Scotty said:

/s

also, since I reacted with a Megasphere, you now have to make me a sandwich (context is from some post from some thread called "What do the Doomworld reactions mean?". or, atleast i think?)

note that nobody wanting to get into mapping should use these threads for advice, it's mostly just opinionated bullshit

anyways, onto some opinionated bullshit

- switches with absolutely zero indication as to what they do

- baron overuse

- having to kill arch-viles with a regular shotgun

- weapon swap traps

- shitloads of repetition

- boring, grindy combat that poses little threat and feels more like having to cut down a tree with goddamn kitchen utensils than it does killing demons

Mandatory health pick-ups. There are few things more painful than picking up a medikit at 99%. Bonus points if health is severely limited.

33 minutes ago, Omniarch said:

Mandatory health pick-ups. There are few things more painful than picking up a medikit at 99%. Bonus points if health is severely limited.

That is one of my main concerns as i'm working on my 8 level mega wad, i cringed so hard when i watched doomkid's plutonia 3 review, like 30 medkits together lol.

28 minutes ago, Kurogachii said:

That is one of my main concerns as i'm working on my 8 level mega wad, i cringed so hard when i watched doomkid's plutonia 3 review, like 30 medkits together lol.

I wouldn't worry too hard about it, tbh, since its such an easy thing to avoid. I am by no means a great mapper, but I have never had this problem. When I do see this problem, it usually seems to be a deliberate choice rather than a noob mistake (although I don't really play noob maps, so I wouldn't really know). Just the fact that you are aware this is a problem means that you probably won't repeat the mistake.

For me it's grinding, which is why I don't enjoy most of the 90's and early 2000 stuff

2 hours ago, Omniarch said:

Not only health unfortunately... I hate mandatory ammo pickups even more :P