Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

DOOM 3 VR - March 29th

Certainly didn't expect this. A little disappointed that it seems to be PS VR only but I suppose PC already has unofficial mod support for VR from BFG Edition.

Here's just the 30 second trailer:

---

Here's also a PlayStation blog post about it:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/03/face-your-nightmares-in-doom-3-vr-edition-for-ps-vr/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Interesting snippet of features:

"Feel even closer to the terror with all-new VR enhancements that allow you to peer around corners, angling your shots with flashlight-mounted weapons using motion controls, 180-degree quick-turn functionality to catch demons sneaking up from behind and an immersive wrist-mounted display to track your health, armor and ammo."

This will make another thread of Doom 3 Shotgun.

I hope this come officially later to PC/XBOX, should be good to compare the mod version with this official, maybe we can expect less bullets than the vainilla version and feel more like the Resident Evil 7 VR.

Doom 3 is a perfect fit for VR, Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 in VR is going to be lit, there's already a mod that makes it playable in VR on PC but would be nice to have an official, more accessible way of doing it.

Next-up, Raytracing, get on it

Edited by sluggard

3 hours ago, Artman2004 said:

I like how they redesigned the sounds of the weapons.

Yes, noticed this as well. The plasmagun sounds a bit like the Quake 3 Arena version now. And the new shotgun sound is great.

Looks pretty badass. Was this developed in-house at id, or another studio? I'm assuming Bethesda probably subcontracted it out to a non-id dev, but I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

We really need an official Doom 3 VR mod for PC...  I've tried the unofficial one, only problem is that enemies kept spawning before the hell breach in Mars City Underground and I couldn't figure out how to fix that.  Just kinda ridiculous waiting for security to open the case for your pistol, and you've already got some zombie shooting you in the face.  Bugs aside though, Doom 3 in VR is pretty sweet!

This is certainly a good way to inject some new interest in ol' Doom 3, especially since out of all the installments, it's certainly the most appropriate to be given the VR treatment. Give folks a greater sense of immersion into its scare factor that initially put fans off back in '04. Just might be what it needed to bring a new sense of appreciation for the weird middle child of the franchise.

Incidentally, I like the Pip-Boy 2000 style HUD it's got going on:

Spoiler

KZXefEN.png

Edited by Biodegradable

I would like to have a proper Version of Doom 3 VR.

Have the Mod for the BFG Version but somehow the Controls aren't working perfect.

Can't change the Weapons: >

I think I heard something about it having higher-res textures, but judging from the snippets of gameplay it really doesn't look like there's any serious graphical enhancements.

Still, it should be ported to PC too, so it can fluently be used with Steam's VR systems. Any Doom 3 is good Doom 3!

Edit: found the Twitter post mentioning that; seems legit:

Although I would love for there to be an option to have a 2-handed weapon and flashlight system like in Fully Possessed, that feature was just too good to be absent in the official version.

Edited by lol no-guy : Extra info and another opinion piece.

Now this are great news!

Doom 3 is the perfect one with it slower action and the survival horror feel for VR :D

Hope some of the problems from the last released version (BFG) get fixed.

Strange, Amazon UK is showing the physical release as "currently unavailable"...

Anyway, no matter. I've wanted this for years. Time to dust off that Aim controller.

Btw, the release of Doom 3 VR shows that all that talk about Doom 3 being "the black sheep of the series" was exaggerated.

Another blogpost, this time confirming the addition of new visual and sound assets for the game, as well as id's involvement with the project.

Can't wait for all the day-1 playthroughs! It's gonna be fun.

So some peeps have already gotten early access to the VR Edition, and it seems really smooth and responsive, despite the resolution and blurriness of it all making me feel a bit disorientated. Again, fingers crossed for a PC and Quest version.

Here's the stream archive from one of those who have gotten an embargo-less copy of the game: 

Edit: There also seems to be another person who got early access, from a french channel that talks about PSVR named Herbi. He got about as far as Gamertag did in the base campaign, though the main thing to note here is the footage, which is displayed in a more "faithful" sort of way via how it's curved inwards and all.

Le Doom 3 VR editión c'est incrediblé! Trés bon!

...sorry for that

Edited by lol no-guy

Watched a bit of that live, got as far as when he got stuck on the first Grabber puzzle before I was like, "bruh" and bailed.

WILL be playing this on Monday. Planning on firing up the capture card for it, so I'll post the vid during the week.

That looks intense.

A general question regarding VR first-person games: why are there always those floating hands? Isn't it possible to render a full virtual body?

And how do you control player movement? (I never played a VR game)

24 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

That looks intense.

A general question regarding VR first-person games: why are there always those floating hands? Isn't it possible to render a full virtual body?

i dont have a vr headset so take that with a grain of salt but full body o vr sounds really jank because of the rapid movement of the controller as well as the fact that you can do a full rotation with it

all i see with full body is arms clipping trough each other like it was the hair of a sf5 character

Some games do feature full-body characters (Farpoint, Evasion, LA Noire VR) but disembodied hands mean less rendering and less coding and they help with tracking.

Gamertag VR has just posted his review on it, and many others will probably do so too, sooner or later.

Edit: seems like I was right:

Edited by lol no-guy

Clever man, that John Carmack. He developed Doom 3 in early 2000s to prepare for his future VR project. This is but one cog in his grand plans.

23 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

That looks intense.

While playing it is not as bad as it looks in Videos.

Your Field of View is different in the Headset and you aren't as attented to your arms as you think you are.

Your Focus is more on where your Hands collide.

In real life you also are ignoring your arms most of the Time ;)

Unless I'm mistaken, they still seem to be using the updated maps from the BFG edition. Which is disappointing, since that was where they amped up the lighting and sprinkled in more ammo and health over a game that already generally had too much of both. Pretty sure they changed some of the combat as well, like excising the green forest hell fight in RoE (arguably the best part of the game.) Superior visuals aside, some of the updates they made in the BFG Edition were truly appalling.

This is digressing from the thread's topic but I want to say Doom 3 is ripe for the high quality Ray Tracing, although it may require some effort to make sure the lighting works as intended for all scenes.

8 hours ago, Chezza said:

This is digressing from the thread's topic but I want to say Doom 3 is ripe for the high quality Ray Tracing, although it may require some effort to make sure the lighting works as intended for all scenes.

You do that, you up the poly counts of the models, you AI upscale all the textures, and you've got an amazing remake on your hands.