Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CHIEF QUEEF

My First Map! MORGUE.WAD FEEDBACK WANTED

Screenshot_Doom_20210303_192813.png.2fc47e02a255e44c346c94c1ee365986.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210303_192537.png.9e27c7a72735cca71bad1bfd4aff593b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210303_192828.png.ddd65d1c67d7167904f4bb1a1b8f9281.png

MORGUE.zip

This is my first single level map give me any feedback post demos in this thread this is a tech base map with some hellish elements to it 

CL9 BOOM COMPATIBLE LEVEL DOOM 2

Hope you enjoy!!

guess what, your wad is my next video for the hell of it. see yah soon.

It might be cool if you had enemies spawn behind the player after the first room where Dubbagdarrel was shooting all the enemies from the safety of the corner, that way you'd be forced to go into the room where the armor is and a another tough situation like the first room.

wow the feedback here is actually nice, i got absolutely destroyed when i uploaded my first demo lol.

Also, there's always room for improvement, the sky isn't the limit in the D00M world!

Keep going and give your best, and watch tutorials.

Demo:

morgue-525.zip

Pretty good hard map. The most lethal fights for me were the start and the room full of revenants, but the arena with all the hell knights took the longest to develop a strategy for. I have no idea what happens with those three chaingunners behind the wall. I never killed them, but the stats when I checked the automap said all monsters were killed. It would be simple enough to kill them with the chaingun (it works with Doom's autoaim) but since they rarely damage the player, they're better off ignored until the map presumably kills them with a crusher or teleporting barrels or something.

Congrats on first map, sadly I ran out of time to finish it and found it mostly frustrating - it's mostly awkward cramped rooms with waaaaay too many enemies in it. A lot of it relies on luck I think or was just going absurdly too far in places. Here is my video anyway - keep on mapping - maps can be challenging and interesting without just jam packing crazy amounts of enemies in small areas :)

Great map. The only difficult part was in the last area. Learning the strategy of how to kill all the bastards and finally seeing the last switch is very rewarding.
Throwing in the arch-viles was a pure cruelty. Good stuff, mate!

Screenshot_Doom_20210304_174210.png

Not the type of map I enjoy playing, so I didn't get far, but I like how you used each enemy in conjunction with one another. The beginning was hectic and proved a challenge to get through the archie and arachnotron. Brutal af. I also dig how the progression was non-linear and had the player revisit areas they've already been to. Great map!

MORGUE

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Vanilla

Deaths → 10 (There were several enemies who have killed me, so I will not be able to make a list of who they were because everything happened very quickly)

Saves → 3

Screenshot-Doom-20210304-114612.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210304-120813.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210304-120830.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210304-120823.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210304-121136.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210304-121140.png

A really hard map, like chewing a bone, from the beginning everything started in an intense way, not a second to breathe, nothing at all, the architecture used in the map was interesting, basic at the beginning but better in the end, everything well achieved As for the fighting, the initial area was intense as I had said, overcoming the Archvile is something that came to cost in a certain way, thank goodness that the Arachnatron was shooting at the end, after trying to kill the Revenants is something brutal, appearing and appearing more and more, all in a damn closed area, it was horrible, but I must say that who takes the hands is the last area, Pain Elementas with quite a few Lost Souls everywhere, a Cyberdemon in the center, And that after all that, an army of Hell Knights and Barons of Hell ready to counter-attack, all this in a unique Rocket Launcher combat, really incredible. This without a doubt was a really challenging, hard and cruel map in certain areas, but after all that, it turned out to be very entertaining, and I guess that must have been the intention after all, it is a very good map, and I hope that In the next ones you get to do, lower the emotion you give to the challenges a little, partner.

1 minute ago, Keyran-Solo said:

Why does Hurt Me Plenty start with 3 arch-viles, whereas Ultra-Violence starts with 2 Spectres?

You kidding?, really?... that's crazy dude

Just now, Voxelvoid said:

Even more of them :D

Screenshot_Doom_20210304_195652.png

what the fuck? is that really in here?

Yeah, must be some kind of a oversight. I just beat it the second time and I gotta say - I love this map! Music is cool too, I forgot to write earlier.

53 minutes ago, Keyran-Solo said:

Why does Hurt Me Plenty start with 3 arch-viles, whereas Ultra-Violence starts with 2 Spectres?

It was inspired by Italo doom map 01

15 minutes ago, Pseudonaut said:

I doubt it's an oversight. It's probably intended to force you to play on UV.

I thought that afterwards, but truth be told I was having a hard time on UV and wanted a slightly easier experience. 

1 hour ago, Keyran-Solo said:

I thought that afterwards, but truth be told I was having a hard time on UV and wanted a slightly easier experience. 

Can I play, Daddy? - B.J.

FDA, skill 4, 8:22

Very sassy, not typically what one sees in a first map. Visual, structural, and architectural ideas are all rudimentary, though we can see the seedlings of something more in the strong light/dark contrasts used for the arena to the south, or the funky little bit of micro-detail with the damaged wall and piping and such beyond in the first room. Gameplay ideas are much more developed; the map communicates a very clear attitude from the second it loads, and the balance of things/actors is quite precise, strict but very well-judged to intuitively promote the kind of gameplay intended, rather than inhibit. The revenant pitfight is quite heated and tightly spaced, and is probably the most consistently dangerous part of the map. It says a lot for the proceedings, I think, that by the time I'd reached the south arena I had become confident enough in the thinking behind your design to press the skull switch without killing the cyberdemon (which I had the ammo for), in hopes that he would be a useful element in the next fight, and indeed, he is. This level of depth is rare in a first map.

The illusory wall "duck blind" with the three chaingunners in it is not constructed properly, and is basically upside down; they can only actually 'see' the player from one or two extremely specific angles, and the third/farthest is most likely to fire, injuring the other two. They are a functionally useless part of the map as is, due to these technical difficulties.

My other concern would be the ploy used to give the last two arch-viles time to spawn in and get to work: the teleporter sequence leads the player away to provide the necessary time and distance, but it's likely not immediately clear to many players that you're supposed to return to the arena again (I was lucky enough to hear an evil giggle at the right time to lead me on), and in short order the arch-viles and resurrected knights/barons can basically infinitely-tall you into a quick death if you're not fast enough. I might suggest having the little green ooze-spot atop the lowering pillar in the first room teleport you back either to the lip of the arena or back onto the cyberdemon platform instead, though this may not be without its own issues (i.e. you're pretty fucked if in this hypothetical scenario both viles attack you as soon as you re-materialize). Really more something to think about in staging encounters with pre-activated monsters in future maps, I suppose.

This is promising work; for many brand new mappers the visual/aesthetic aspect comes more naturally, while the gameplay is much more difficult and slow to develop a particular voice and tuning for. For what it's worth, also, I would not begrudge you for choosing not to support skill settings (though there are those who might), but it's generally sufficient to simply declare you're not supporting them, rather than trolling those selecting the 'wrong' setting. This is an old-fashioned piece of (harmless) humor that many are not likely to understand or appreciate these days, and will only limit your audience.

New map is hopefully going to release either at the end of this week or next week Idk but I am about to go insane making it.

Too bad it didnt record my first run, if the map is supposed to trigger people it sure does :D

The skully part was extremely painful trying a good 10 minutes to survive only to discover there is an simpler way out.

I actually liked it despite the fact it made me wanna jump off the balcony.

The only thing i nitpick is the abysmal lightning on the cyber room. Other than that cleverly well crafted map.

Thanks for the feedback I have seen the flaws in this map and im creating a new map with finer visual detailing and exciting gameplay! also its kinda cool you have a balcony wish I had one.

5 hours ago, CHIEF QUEEF said:

Thanks for the feedback I have seen the flaws in this map and im creating a new map with finer visual detailing and exciting gameplay! also its kinda cool you have a balcony wish I had one.

I will definitely demo it! Inbox me when it's ready.

10 hours ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

I will definitely demo it! Inbox me when it's ready.

Just so you know it’ll be a lot harder but more fair and much much bigger it’ll definitely take most people a couple try’s also it will probably be done next week considering next week I don’t have a thing to do except map.