Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Tragedy in Warwick, RI

For those who don't know yet - there was fire at a club in Warwick, RI last night (yes, i live not too far from there). Great White was putting on a show. As of now, 54 confirmed dead in the fire. My heart goes out to the families.

I just saw the news and they showed some live footage from the moment it all happened. I got goosebumps all over me, because I'm absolutely afraid of fire. Unfortunately, it seems club-owners never learn from incidents like this all over the world. A while ago we had an incident like this in the Netherlands too. IIRC 10 people died and tens were seriously wounded. Just as in this case the fire was started with a combination of fireworks and a low ceiling that wasn't protected with a special layer to prevent it from burning. In that case some emergency exits were even locked, to make it even worse.

Let's hope that they learn from this. But my mind tells me that we will have another serious incident like this within a year somewhere.

I live 20 minnutes away.. I was watching the news on my lunch break (I work 3rd shift) minnutes after it happened.. It's definately some sad news, as is most news we hear these days :/ Hopefully some club reforms will come about (sprinkler systems determined by max capacity rather than floor space?) after what happened this week.

Disorder said:

Unfortunately, it seems club-owners never learn from incidents like this all over the world.

Because they're only concerned with the fact that it costs a lot of money to put this special layer on their roof and they keep thinking that "nah, it'll never happen here".

dsm said:

Because they're only concerned with the fact that it costs a lot of money to put this special layer on their roof and they keep thinking that "nah, it'll never happen here".

It realy sad how money has become more imptant then peoples lifes.

Demons Hand said:

It's called Government, and it has been like that for the past 10,000 years.

Demons Hand said:

I think that is a bit too cynical. This sounds more like an almighty and tragic foul-up:
1) Public building that is not suitable for fireworks to be set off inside it;
2) Fatal misunderstanding over whether fireworks can be set off inside it.

i heard about 1 in chicago. however it was a condemed building or was ordered closed by the city. either way the owners refused and kept opening it up. i am not sure what happened but people paniced and started heading out a door. i think around 20 people died from tramplaing

Demons Hand said:

Although that's probably why the club didn't have the special layer, it does sound like a tragic accident. But you are right that money rules over everything (including people's lives) - unfortunately that's why the world is screwed. (politically, socially and environmentally)

Wasn't something similar happening in Sweden a year ago?

Really, it annoys me that I will never be able to equip my children with fire ressitance (make that bullet and radiation resistance too).

95 people in total. Very sad.. the guitarist is among the missing, also a radio Dj, if you're from the So. New England scene, you've probibly heard of "The Doctor" of 94.HJY.. You can't help but presume the worst, as I'm a sucker for classic rock, HJY has been the dominant setting on my radio since I can remember. It's very depressing to listen to the DJ's playing bands that the Doctor normally would be at this time, I usually drive to work and listen in.. I dunno, it's just such bad news for the country.. I know I'm going to end up hearing about someone I know or know of being one of the injured or dead, it's hitting a lot closer to home.

Little Faith said:

Really, it annoys me that I will never be able to equip my children with fire ressitance (make that bullet and radiation resistance too).

Are you breeding übermenches over there or something?